1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting (self.harm)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Guitargrrl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Guitargrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I self harm and my mom found out and I wanna run away what do I do?

2. Convoy

Don't; More than likely your mother cares a good deal about you and would never like to see you in this kind of state, she is likely upset at you and herself to see this happening. There will be heightened emotions and stress, but relax and don't make any rash decisions, they are almost always regretted.

Running away and life on the streets is a very, very rough thing and you would likely be forced to do things that you would never want to do, things that are much harder than living at home and dealing with parents.

If you are in desperate need and feel a state of overall despair don't fear to call suicide or support hotlines, they are not there to judge you and can help you if you are in a bad place. The Trevor project specializes in LGBT and questioning issues and may be of use.

So ultimately I'd recommend to take a calm breath, relax and calm down for a while. There is nothing you need to or should be expected to do. Self harm is a difficult issue to deal with and it may take a while to fully explain to your parents and get help for the most important thing is to try to keep a level head while you work though this.

Nothing is worth your life or safety, you can and will pull though with time and there will always be people somewhere that can help you. I know it's difficult, but you can make it.

3. Ianthe

Why do you want to run away? What do you think will happen if you stay? Are you in danger for some reason?

4. Guitargrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What should I do about my mom now going to be a hawk ans be even more restricting? Now Thay she knows I cut
    and if I stay it.would get.worse she would get hawk like a s I'm not in danger thou I wish I was and I wanna run away cuz I cant take it anymore

#4 Guitargrrl, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Ianthe

Are you worried because she is going to stop you from cutting, or about other things?

6. Guitargrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm worried cuz I do t want help or ti stop cutting and the other things as well

7. Ianthe

What are the other things, and why don't you want to stop hurting yourself?

8. Guitargrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The other things are how I don't hv responbility how my mom doesn't accost me how I can fully come out cuz of my lil sister and I don't wanna stop cuz nothing else helps when I need something to help or I freakout

9. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have any advice about cutting since I am fighting some monster urges right now...:frowning2:

But, as for running away...I know things seem bad. It probably seems hopeless and overwhelming and like things would be better if you just left, right? Okay...I would just say..."the grass isn't always greener on the other side." Consider how you're going to care for yourself. School? What will you do when you run out of money? Where will you go? There are a lot of questions. It's just not safe, sweetie. Your mom loves you...tremendously...or she wouldn't be so angry you're cutting. It may not seem like it, but it's a sign of love and concern. (*hug*) Hang in there...things WILL get better. Promise.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I know much about cutting, but you still have all your problems, plus a bunch of slashes. Not a good plan. :/

11. RainbowMan

I'll just echo what the previous posters have said. Cutting solves nothing, even if it might give you a little temporary relief. The long term damage isn't worth it - do you want to have to explain the scars to people? I know people who cut and they were quite ashamed to share that part of themselves with me later (and this was before I had come out, and he's straight as an arrow - he was cutting for other reasons).

As far as running away, that's going to be a much more difficult life than dealing with a restrictive mother that cares very much about you. While you say you don't want help, I think that you're screaming for it just by posting this on here. Let people help you. It's quite clear that your mom cares very much about you, and wouldn't want to see you hurt. And that's exactly what's going to happen if you run away - you'll be hurt, emotionally and possibly physically. No one wants to see that and no one should have to go through that.

12. Ianthe

Some people have told me that it helps to snap a rubber band on their wrists, instead of cutting, or they have other things they do, that still have an immediate release of pain and endorphins but don't cause so much long term harm and aren't as risky.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, sounds much better than cutting. But inflicting pain on yourself is still a very poor way of coping. Talking on here and even crying out to anybody is better than more hurt.

14. Eleanor Rigby

Hi sweetie (*hug*)
    I know you're in a difficult place right now, but please, take a deep breath for a minute and stop to think.
    Obviously, that fact your mom discovered you're self-harming is causing you a huge discomfort and that's ok. Anyone who is or has been a cutter knows how you're feeling : the urges to cut, the shame that comes with it, the fear from how people would react to this, the anxiety it's causing. It can be very overwhelming.
    Now, the thing is, you're cutting for a reason. Whatever the roots of it are, it's causing you to be in such a pain that you had to cut to let it out and release the pressure. The problem is, this behavior is extremely addictive. You start to cut to help you cope with whatever you're dealing with, and before you know it, cutting becomes your go to coping mechanism for everything you need to deal with. You do it more and more often and/or have to cut more and more to be able to feel the same relief. In some way, that works in the exact same way drug or alcohol would. And you don't want that to become your life.
    You already acknowledged that you need help, and that's wonderful because it's the first step to get better.
    Now, I know you're caught in the middle of an overwhelming roller coaster of emotions with your mom discovering that you're self-harming, but maybe you can seize this occasion to deal with your issues instead of running from them. And yes, I know it's tough and it requires a lot of courage, I've been there too (*hug*).
    So, what I would suggest would be to sat with your mom around a coffee and to let her know that you're not doing well, that, because you didn't know how to deal with your problem, you've been self-harming for a while and that you need her to provide you help to get better.
    You don't have to disclose to your mom what is causing you to feel so bad that you're cutting, you just need to tell her that you need help with this. I think it would be great if you could see a therapist to talk about the problems you're having and to learn how to deal with them without self-harming.
    Of course, even with a therapist, you're not going to get better over one night, and the cutting urges aren't going to go away like magic, but hopefully you'll learn how to deal with them.
    You said yourself that you need help, I think that now, the next step is to ask for it. You can do it (*hug*)
    If you want to talk about your self-harming issues or about anything else, you're very welcome to PM me anytime. Don't be worried, I've been in the exact same boat :slight_smile:
    Take good care of yourself, Cécile

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Former cutter here who hasn't cut in nearly eight months. If I can do it, you can- too. I'm a person who skipped school due to being ashamed of the fresh wounds on my arms, or wore jackets in the dead of summer just to hide scars. But now my arms are mostly healed with some minor scars which have faded, and being tan came to my benefit with not making them seem as noticeable. But I feel better, look better, and I know I'm healthier and a much more stronger person for stopping. I practically quit cold turkey.

But, anyway. I'm telling you right now, running away because your mom found out about your self harming isn't going to help. Where are you going to go? How are you going to survive? It's not worth the struggle and the pain only to bring you more misery for trying to escape.

If your mom wants you to stop, it's because she cares. And you don't need to keep cutting. Find alternatives. If you like the sensation of pain.. start off by throwing the razors away, get an ice cube or a rubber band and use them on your wrists/arms/wherever. Draw a picture of what's making you upset, or tear up paper or punch something (besides yourself, please don't punch yourself). Repeat to yourself, "I don't deserve to be hurt," even if you don't believe so.

What worked for me was the Butterfly project. Draw a butterfly on your wrist, or on the place(s) that you would self harm. If the butterfly fades without self-harming, it means it has lived and flown away, giving a sense of achievement. Whereas if you do self-harm with the butterfly there; you will have to wash it off. If that does happen, you can start again by drawing a new one on.

Write the name of a loved one (a friend, family member, or anyone else who cares about you) and write their name where you want to self harm. When you go to self harm remember how much they care and wouldn’t want you to harm yourself.

And if worse comes to worse, please call a hotline. Talk with somebody rather than hurt yourself. You can do it. If I could, anyone can. I promise.

Here's some links and other things if you need them:
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/f62b268a6f9529ed4106b517644dfa92/tumblr_mi2qktiXb21rs47wwo1_500.jpg
    Here to help!

I wish you the best. You can overcome it! (*hug*)