1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Statins

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zaio, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC,

I have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol. It runs in my family, and because it is genetic based, diet will do little-nothing in order to reduce it. I have been advised to go on statins like my mother, brother and sister (even though my mother and brother don't take them), and I'm wondering what your views on statins are.

There is a lot of controversy about whether or not they do more harm than good, that they are simply an inefficient way to reduce cholesterol in order to make money, as they are one of the top sold drugs in the world. I'm not sure who I can believe, I'm not sure if my doctor is really after helping me or after making money. While it is proven that statins reduce cholesterol, and can reduce the chances of cardiovascular disease by up to 50%, they can also cause things like diabetes and liver failure.

If anyone is in the medical field or has particular knowledge on this subject, I'd really appreciate your honest view on this, because this is a tough decision to make.

All the best.

2. aspiecarer

I do take statins but it's a small dosage and I got no side effects or worries.
    Maybe that's the thinking of your GP: a small dosage is best, although I still would guess you got some advise on healthy eating?

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I think they intend to start me on high dosage then lower dosage when I'm at the desired cholesterol level. They've basically told me that it is entirely genetic, and so altering my diet will do almost nothing, so I need statins to lower it. My brother, mother and one of my sisters also have high cholesterol, so they have the genetic variant too.

All the best.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

It depends on where you stand on the cholesterol myth;

Big Fat Lies - YouTube

Keep in mind that the Inuit eat a fat rich diet (seal, whale, walrus, char) yet have very low heart disease. It is called the Inuit Paradox.

The answer to the paradox is one of the reasons the body makes cholesterol. It moves the cholesterol to the skin where UVB converts it to vitamin D. As your serum vitamin D goes up your bile in the GI tract changes and you absorb less fat in the GI tract.

The Inuit Paradox is the food they eat is super rich in vitamin D and they absorb and produce less cholesterol.

Statins are vitamin D analogs. Analogs are bad as they have side affects.

Regulation of bile acid synthesis by fa - PubMed Mobile

Educate yourself first.

Make a deal with your doctor... If you raise your serum vitamin D to 50ng/ml and your cholesterol is still high, only then will you consider statin usage.

The resulting drop in cholesterol should amaze you.

Stuck

#4 skiff, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

That's very interesting Stuck, thanks for the input.

I'll definitely do some research on it. However, I have never used nanograms before, so how much is 50ng/ml? What is the average vitamin d ng amount per ml? I'm not sure how much vitamin d you're talking here. Also, isn't too high vitamin d toxic?

All the best.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Vitamin D deficiency soars in the U.S., study says: Scientific American

Ng/ml is a measurement of blood concentration.

In nature skin surface balances the ratios. A six foot man has more shin making more vitamin D than a eight year old boy. System worked perfectly. Then we started wearing clothes and screwed up 5-7 million years of evolution as naked apes (humans are hairless apes).

So as people worked outside less and less getting less sun they started fortifying milk with vitamin D, but only enough to prevent rickets.

Have your doctor test your serum vitamin D now and ask for the specific ng/ml just like you would ask for specific cholesterol numbers (never settle for the answer "normal"). Get the numbers.

Then... Take your weight in pounds and multiply by 30. So if you weigh 100 pounds 100x30=3000. That is how many iu's of vitamin D a 100 pound person would need daily in winter. In summer break out your speedo and get sun daily between 10-2 o-clock. NEVER get a sun burn though!

So take the amount of vitamin D daily based on your weight and after 90 days have your doctor test your serum vitamin D again and your cholesterol. Your D should go up and your cholesterol go down. HDL good cholesterol will improve.

AJCN | Mobile

Easy experiment to do with doctor. Shoot for a target of serum vitamin D of 50-80 ng/ml.

Stuck

Make yourself laugh... Look at the data on HIV and vitamin D

Vitamin D Inhibits Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 and Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection in Macrophages through the Induction of Autophagy
    http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1002689

Do you think pharmaceutical companies want you taking cheap/free vitamin D or their expensive drugs. Follow the money.

#6 skiff, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Thanks for the info Stuck, very useful. I am definitely going to go with your advice and try this :slight_smile:

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Humor me :slight_smile:

How much do you weigh in US pounds?

I want to make sure you are getting the correct answer in how many daily iu's of vitamin D you need daily in winter.

Glad to see you understand the concept.

Stuck

9. Zontar

I think it also goes without saying that Vitamin D alone is not a treatment for HIV nor does it confer sufficient protection against infection. No replacement for monogamy and a condom.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I don't think anybody said otherwise.

It is simply research that is not pushed out to the public.

Simply another layer of protection.

Stuck

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here is a good example why vitamin D analogs like statins are bad;

FDA adds diabetes, memory loss warnings to statins

Vitamin D does 2,776 jobs in the human genome where the analog does only one.

So the statin analog parks in the vitamin D receptor and does one job. This blocks natural vitamin D from using the receptor and 2,775 jobs do not get done. This can lead to the side effects.

Look into how vitamin D deficiency is tied to diabetes and Alzheimer's and now statins lead to both. The statin blocks the vitamin D.

Be informed.

Stuck

#11 skiff, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

What would be the most effective way to obtain the preferable vitamin D levels? I'm not really sure how much of what I need daily to raise whatever I have enough, but not to over-do it.

13. Ben

Ben

You can go on vitamin D supplements (possibly on the NHS if you're deficient), if you'd like to have your levels measured then the NHS will do that for you.

But this vitamin D talk is all quite tangental to the original discussion. Have you discussed with your GP whether to take statins or not?

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm going to talk to my GP about it soon, but that's the problem, they tend to follow the textbooks and advise statins, and I'm not sure that statins are purely for medical benefits. I'm going to try this vitamin D thing first before considering statins, but I'll probably go on them if it doesn't work. Thanks for the heads up about the NHS though.

All the best.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  16. PeteNJ

My own experience with high cholesterol...

My son, about 2 years ago when he was 14 or 15, high cholesterol levels. The easy answers for him -- more exercise, cut out the burgers and fried food.

Me, this past year, moderately high cholesterol levels. Not wanting to die (hah!), I started on statins. I had the worst reaction you can imagine (if you google, you'll read about it). I felt like I had the flu, everything hurt. My PCPs initial reaction " its a wonder drug, just keep taking it and work your way through the discomfort." Umm, no. My body was rebelling against what this drug was doing to my muscle tissue.

My answer -- much more exercise, dietary change. I threw all refined white flour stuff out (pasta, bread, cookies, etc). Even without much weight loss, that's all I needed to do to bring my levels down.

In short -- I would really look at lifestyle options first, add vitamin D -- that's an awful easy solution for sure.

And Stuck, niacin is also supposed to be good for this -- what's your take on taking niacin (vitamin b) in addition to vitamin D?

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have learned this... Our DNA evolved for 5-7 million years in the equatorial Congo. All the basic primal environmental and dietary needs can be isolated from our "primary natural range", our Eden.

The problem is most of us live far from Eden and we try to recreate Eden through artificial means, using modern artificial foods, modern artificial environments.

We evolved naked for 5-7 million years. Today, nearly naked tribes of Africa have serum vitamin D levels of 40-80 ng/ml. Meanwhile we are told 20 ng/ml is "normal" by experts.

I would have to look at how much niacin is found in the diets of chimpanzees and bonobos in the wild to tell you how much niacin should be in the primal diet.

But there are larger issues. If you recreated the equatorial diet with temperate foods you would create a problem. For example... Plants contain oxalate to deal with cold temperatures. Less oxalate in the equatorial plants more in temperate plants. More oxalate more kidney stones. However, four ounces of potassium citrate daily (citrus fruit) prevents kidney stones and flushes the oxalate.

We are designed for equatorial survival. It supplies the food and environment we are designed for.

The best we can do is to isolate 20% of the primitive inputs our DNA expects and replicate those best we can.

In regards to muscle and statins it is well established statins block muscle function. In particular they block the muscles requirements for... Vitamin D;

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1931524408002727

Stuck

18. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi PeteNJ, Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have been on statins and various blood pressure tablets for 6 or 7 years now because of raised cholesterol levels and unrelated heart problems. I have been suffering with muscle pain and peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness or burning pain) in my arms and had put that down to the fact that I keep snapping ligaments and tendons in my shoulders.

Having read your post I had a quick look on the web for side effects and they sound similar so I will down to the doctors next week to get this checked out, especially since I have concentration problems that have caused my wife to think I am developing Alzheimer’s.

Thanks once again, I would have never thought statins could do this.

Sale Gay Guy

Perhaps my concentration problems are cause by spending too much time on EC LOL

#18 SaleGayGuy, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  20. Zontar

You know, even though the doctor's just telling you that there's nothing you can do about genetic cholesterol, diet and exercise are still worthwhile and still worth a shot. Try a fairly radical diet (safe though) and exercise daily before you take anything. There is a chance it could work, since everyone's different. Then if that doesn't work (and if you absolutely have the genetic variety, then it probably won't), I would revisit the statin option. Color me skeptical on Vitamin D alone, although it doesn't hurt to try I guess.

#20 Zontar, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013