1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acne? (or are they scars? i've no idea)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thebrightficus, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hi, i get these really bad acne scars/pigmentation/red dots on my face after i treat my acne. whether they go away pretty smoothly or roughly, they are always going to appear. HOW in holy HELEN do i get rid of these guys?

i don't even know what they're called to be honest. lately i've just been waiting them out, but it takes almost three years for them to get pink and red. they've never actually completely went away.

soooo any tips?

2. Ridiculous

From your description it sound likes post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation; PIH. It's not a true scar, and as you've seen they go away eventually (although in my experience too this can take months or even over a year).

The problem is that if you've got active acne, then often the treatments for it (e.g. benzoyl peroxide) make PIH look worse and stay around longer.

Skin peels will reduce the appearance of the them over a few treatments. Alpha and beta hydroxy acids applied to spot usually decreases their appearance (these can be found in proper skin formulas like toners, or you can substitute with something like lemon juice (check for skin irritation in another place first)). Exfoliating will encourage skin turnover and bring the dark area to the surface quicker.

The only real surefire way seems to be just waiting them out though...

Sun exposure will make them look worse, because they darken faster than the surrounding skin.

3. well i've been taking this medicine for my acne (it's some asian medicine, but it works).

i'm really worried that my body is going to grow resistant to it. i tried to take three days off of it (original plan was a week-two weeks) so my body wouldn't grow so resistant, but then i broke out immediately (though it's not as bad as it usually would have been). what should i do about that as well?

4. Ridiculous

Is it topical (a cream or something you put on) or is it a medicine you take orally?

Acne cures work best if you use them consistently, so don't stop and start over the period of treatment. If it's an antibiotic then it will generally either work (meaning the bacteria isn't resistant) or it won't work (meaning they are resistant) - they aren't going to suddenly become resistant during the course of your treatment, as that happens over a longer period and over multiple infections as the bacteria strain hops between people.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    this shit takes forever to fade unless you use something for it. l'd rec a light at home TCA peel if you dont mind looking you have a nasty case of psoriasis for about a week.

l reluctantly use hydroquinone for mine but that's also because l have horrible discoloration from birth control pills.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I've heard that putting some lemon juice on those spots can help. The lemon juice lightens the skin. I've never tried it before but I've constantly heard about that working.

Usually they take anywhere from 6-12 months, that's what I've read, to completely clear up.