1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

higher substance abuse?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Labyrinth, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Labyrinth

I've been reading about LGBT communities and one thing I came across was that there tended to be a higher percentage of substance abuse among LGBT community. By this I include also alcohol, cigarettes, etc. and I believe that the reason stated was a desire to escape and or feeling that there was less acceptance in the general community, or even as a way to try to fit in and feel normal while acting straight. I am curious what people have to say about that on this website. Have you noticed this too ? What reasons do you feel it happens for if indeed it does. I feel I have noticed this too to an extent, but I want unbiased opinions so I can hear it from the horses mouth so to speak. Also, do you think that this is something that could be preventable ?

2. Ianthe

LGBT people are more prone to all kinds of self-destructive behaviors, including substance abuse as well as eating disorders, self-harm, reckless sexual behavior, and suicide, because we often internalize messages of our own worthlessness (internalized homophobia).

It can be prevented by changing society so that it does not teach LGBT people that we are worthless.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am, in all honesty one of those people. I've accepted who I am for the most part, but I still feel pressured to be someone I'm not. I tend to drink a lot more and I have an problem with self harm. It's just way for me to cope with accepting who I am, although I know that it's not healthy. I've been dealing with these issues since I was in my early teens, but I've made a ton of progress.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm also one of those people, and yes it seems pretty feasible that the LGBT community is at a larger risk for these abuse patterns.

All the best.

5. therunawaybff

I did all kinds of drugs in college and drank way too much. Part of it was just being a bartender, so I had access to all that stuff, but I'm sure part of it was also having to deal with being in the closet, yeah.

Kind of ashamed to admit it, but there were also several times I used intoxication as an "excuse" to hook up with my boy back before we acknowledged we were in a relationship. That way (at least in my head) I could blame it on the fact that I was fucked up, not on my actual feelings.

I was so wound up about it back then that I think the only way Nick could loosen me up enough to get my guard down sometimes was to get a couple of shots or a few bowls of weed in me.

I don't know how preventable it is though, unless you want to revamp the recreational drug use habits of Western society at large. I do think that I probably did more drugs and drank more than your average college student based on overall consumption, but it never really felt like I drank or did more drugs than any of my completely straight friends in college.

Using liquor as Dutch courage for getting laid or dealing with stressful academic situations isn't really exclusive to queers.

6. Labyrinth

Interesting. Thanks for all the input. I've been reading more and more about being closeted, and while I've known by definition what that means, I also feel like this is one of the first times I've really begun to understand some of the related connotations of what that means and how it effects people. This in part is because I have new people in my life that have brought my attention to this. I think I will post a related new thread about this subject, as I really want to understand it a little more in depth. Thanks so much for your feedback x

7. Akatosh

Yes, drugs, alcohol, and being closeted are quite the deadly combo. Why do you want to understand it more in depth? Just curious..

8. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

True. But it is actually pretty terrible for me regardless of societal stigma. Not so much the same sex attraction, but the utter lack of opposite sex attraction. Very depressing if you ask me. I'm attracted to the same boring type of guy that you see in muscle building magazines 365 days a year endlessly for years. Why can't I like different types of guys? Why can't I like some girls even if it's one? Damn. My sexuality is so narrow it is sickening to me at times. Pansexuality seems like a beautiful thing.

Last year I began to hate my sexual orientation. I despised it. I blamed it for everything. Eating became a chore. Getting out of bed became a chore. I began to drink a lot more. I forced myself to like girls. I punished myself if I was too drawn to guys (e.g. taking ice cold showers). Just last Christmas, I drank heavily each day. I became more agnostic over the years, but would say "God really hates me." Reparative therapy became more attractive, yet I didn't do it. Now I accept my orientation but there is still this self-hatred mostly disguised in sarcasm. I no longer stigmatize my same sex attraction... But lack of opposite sex? Everyday. I hate the fact I don't like girls. Lots of people here on EC are fortunate to have not lost sexual arousal towards the opposite sex. Thank your lucky stars!!

#8 cm81990, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013