1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst pain I've ever experienced

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Closet88, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I begin, I need to note that I am rarely ill, and if I am I am not the type of person who will let the world know about it and feel sorry for myself. Over the last week I've been getting excruciating pains in my face. It started around a week ago in my tooth, and I'd noticed a bit of a crack in one of my fillings, so I went to the dentist and got a new filling put in on Wednesday, thinking this would solve the problem... But it hasn't!

The pain has gradually grown worse as the week has passed by. I am now at the point where I have to hold my head in my hands for a couple of minutes when I get the pains. It comes in my teeth, ears and jaw. Pretty much the whole bottom half of my face. The pain will come and go, but as I said before, it seems like the length of time is increasing every time.

I really don't know what to do. I've taken painkillers and ibuprofen but neither seem to numb the pain. I am back in work tomorrow so can't get it seen to, and even if I wanted to, my doctors surgery isn't open until Monday, when I'm in work again! Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And more importantly, how I can stop it?

2. Cynder

I have no idea what it could be. My moms was a nurse in the American Air Force, and she says she doesn't know either. I think it would best to skip work Monday to go to the doctor...

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Perhaps something is pressing on one of the nerves? You should go to the doctors so you can make sure it's a dental issue. You might need to have some x-rays taken to check the problem.

All the best.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could be an infection. I would go and get that checked out ASAP. I had a filling that cracked one time and I got an infection. It sounds a lot like what you are experiencing now.

5. mpac21

I would agree with it definitely possibly being an infection and you should get it checked out as soon as you can. It also could be TMJ, an issue with the jaw muscles and the joint that connects the jaw to the skull, its something I had an issue with at one point and had similar symptoms as you. But definitely the only way to see what the issue is, is to see your doctor at the next opportunity :frowning2: Hang in there!

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Infection. You'll probably need a root canal. It's not as bad as it sounds, though. They are not painful procedures, at least since recent times. I hope you've got good dental insurance, though. :/

7. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'm going to agree with the other posters. It is either an infection or TMJ. If it hurts more after you are chewing, then it is more likely TMJ. Either way you need to see a doctor ASAP!

8. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice guys. Another thing I didn't mention before is that my dentist took an X-ray when I went to see him but didn't notice anything.

After googling my symptoms TMJ does sound possible but there is something else called trigeminal neuralgia which matches all of my symptoms. I am going to try and leave work early today to go the drop in centre and see a doctor or nurse. I will keep you posted with what it actually is!

9. KaraBulut

Based upon what you've described and the fact that the dentist did xrays, it does sound like your pain could have origin in a cranial nerve disorder. It's something that you should see your regular doctor about.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    trigeminal neuralgia is one option!

TN causes a sudden, severe, electric shock-like, or stabbing pain that lasts several seconds to a few minutes. The pain can be felt on the face around the lips, cheek, jaw, eyes, nose, scalp, and forehead. Symptoms can be brought on when a person is brushing the teeth, putting on makeup, touching the face, swallowing, or even feeling a slight breeze.

The pain is so severe that people can become afraid to talk, eat, or move during periods of attacks.

There is usually no pain or numbness between attacks and no dysfunction of the muscles of the face.

TN is often considered one of the most painful conditions seen in medicine. Usually, the pain is felt on one side of the jaw or cheek, but some people experience pain at different times on both sides. The attacks of pain may be repeated one after the other. They may come and go throughout the day and last for days, weeks, or months at a time. At times, the attacks can disappear for months or years. The disorder is more common in women than in men and rarely affects anyone younger than 50.