1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about exercising..

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ticklish Fish, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

Hi! I am 19 and I am kind of into swimmer/dancer body. (and want to get one like those lol)

I am skinny, Chinese, and um... don't have an hour to work out hahah, so I am kind of looking for efficient and full body/multiple body exercises.

Recently I am considering just doing pull up (and variants) as work out, and hopefully start doing lunges and squats (with barbell, but i'll start with empty to get the form). Is this a good idea?

I also don't really know how to swim, or dance lol. I know my gym have some pilate/jazz/other kind of bodyweight classes, but I am iffy if I will be the only guy, but whatever lol. This semester I might be too busy to be in those classes though. But what about in the future? Is bodyweight dances/kinesthetic helpful to build the stamina/some muscles/flexibility that i want? lol

(I will have to pay some swimming lessons eventually when my schedule frees up~)

I know that I have to eat more proteins to build muscles, lol. Um, yeah... though is there good breakfast option that don't require much cooking but are nutritious and have protein maybe? lol. I usually pack ~2 slices of bread with jam or peanut butter...

2. Ticklish Fish

+ this question:
    I have always wanted to try sprinting to build leg, but is it not beneficial if i were to build some muscles? lolol. like now i can't even do endurance running, so idk how would sprinting work. not to mention that i dont have big lungs lol

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You just kind of said a bunch of stuff. What are your goals? Fat loss? Endurance? Anaerobic potential? Just the simple mental health boots?

I think that running helps with all of those things, and I can advice really good base principles for it.

And absolutely not, no sprinting. Speedwork is advanced and has more potential for injury. If you're new to running, then you should start slow and do endurance with time goals rather than distance goals. That will improve your body's ability to process fat as fuel and to remove waste products. The increase in efficiency will help you to do the speedwork later.

4. Ticklish Fish

LOL, let me clarify, sorry. I am skinny so fat loss wouldn't be my goal hahaha.
    I guess you can say endurance, strength, and some muscle building.

But I do um, want to improve my breathing efficiency as well when i partake exercises.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My philoosphy on exercise is that you have to go at an intensity low enough that you can maintain a routine and enjoy it rather than burning out. Exercise is no hard until you get more advanced. The idea is to gain, to use Jeff Galloway's words, a "benign addition" to the activities. Consistency is more important than anything else. If you can pick something you like and stick to it for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week, then you can start to increase your muscle efficiency.

You may not build much mass during this time, but you will be improving cardiovascular efficiency which will get more nutrients into your muscles as well as help remove waste from there. That will decrease the chance of you injuring yourself when you switch to more tension oriented exercise to build mass.

I'm not sure that I recommend taking protein supplements of any kind. Is there any reason why we can't just eat natural food while we're exercising?

6. Ticklish Fish

I forget to even talk about protein supplements haha. I have thought about it, but they don't seemed to be regulated much lol. and I dont want to get deflated if I stop taking them after starting to take them lol. (never have protein supp in my life)

as for the 3-4 times a week. I am trying with my study schedule lol. sometimes i just gotta stay for what assignments and studying lol. usually if i don't sleep enough, i skip work out next day

7. Ridiculous

You want a swimmer's body, and you don't have much time to work out, so I'd suggest (surprise!) swimming as exercise. It is an excellent full body workout and excellent cardiovascular exercise as well, plus it is much more forgiving when it comes to injuries than other exercise forms.

It's also very difficult to swim without figuring out how to breath properly and efficiently, so it'll help with this too.

Dancing is okay but don't expect to get that muscled dancer's body from doing that alone - they all supplement their dancing with time in the gym.

8. Ticklish Fish

I did mention I don't know how to swim, right? XD
    Originally my plan is to learn /take lesson before I graduate, which is within 2 years (not counting this semester) ._.

I guess i'll stick with pull ups for now lol.

they don't? what about things like pilate/yoga? @_@

9. Ridiculous

I know you said you couldn't swim, but you did say you were going to learn!
    In fact, that's probably a good thing. It will ease you into it, starting out with easy stuff which will be better for you anyway until you get your baseline fitness up.

Pilate's and yoga do not build muscle to any significant degree, unless you are doing some weird weighted Pilates, in which case I'm not sure if it really counts as Pilates.

10. Ticklish Fish

(Is it bad I want to say "That's Ridiculous"? hahahaha)
    But um, how do those gymnast/male ballet dancer/ hip hop/break dancers get their body if it isn't from what they're doing? @_@

Like in the past few years, the only time I ever go to a pool is if it is a friend's party or something. I am not as afraid of drowning, and now even want to learn to swim so I can make it a physical activity haha. I guess I'll just wait and discuss about it in the future.

(let's now focus on those dancer-y body lol)

11. Ridiculous

As I said in my other post, they will be going to the gym and doing traditional workouts as well.
    Dancing is great for fitness but, unless you are doing things like acrobatics or lifting other people, you are unlikely to put on a great deal of muscle mass.

12. Ticklish Fish

LOL, okay thanks.
    I was having a pervy moment reading the phrase "lifting other people" :badgrin::badgrin:

Thank you both for replies so far.
    anybody else?

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know swimming is on the "later" list. But I will add another vote for it, anyway.

For practical purposes, I learned to swim as an adult. And one thing I noticed was that my breathing did improve. My teacher told me he'd had the same thing happen to him when started swimming more due to his job (both life guard and swim instructor).

Another bonus: swimming is lifetime. I have one former high school classmate who was a runner in high school. His knees completely gave out before he was even 35 if I recall right. Meanwhile, one sees some very old people still swimming.

It's not hugely difficult learning to swim, at least on a basic level. I was able to lap swim within a month of starting. My only two limitations:
    • Limited distance (but I could make it 25 yards, one wall to the other, on my own with no difficulty).
    • I also was limited to shallow water. This limitation lasted about 2.5 months from the original start date. But most of the limit was due to comfort, not technical ability. I went in with serious water fear, thanks partly to psycho swim instruction when I was 8. Technically, I could have easily passed the pool's deep water test--25 yards non-stop--about a month after starting. Fortunately, most of that pool's lap lanes never got very deep.

The final selling point for swimming that might appeal: a chance to see guys wearing Speedos.

14. Ticklish Fish

LOL. Okay, I know that swimming has good benefits what with the replies on the this thread and things I have read on Google. But um, I just gotta make time to learn it when my schedule actually fits the teaching schedule they have, hahaha.

and um, not every guys wearing swim briefs. :c Some just wear boxery thing.

like did you just learn to swim after turning 18? 19?

15. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're skinny and want to build some muscle and don't have much time to work out, I'd suggest focusing on compound exercises (squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlift). They rely on several muscle groups and that's why they're supposed to be the most effective for building muscle. You can look for a workout routine online (I've tried a workout called "5x5" that got me some good results). Good luck, pal!

16. Ticklish Fish

dgjdxkgj.. barbells lol. I am always scared of barbells because i don't have a work out bud or spotter lol. I know that you can technically do it without one if the strength is within your limit before you fatigue. But I guess I can do empty ish... lololol.

I shall try with empty barbell squats first lol.

(PS. deadlift sounds painful)

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know all too well how hard it can be getting my schedule to work with someone else's. The one word of warning is that as you get older, the opportunities to learn can become more difficult. Maybe where you live is different, but in my area most programs appear to be mostly for kids. So take advantage of any opportunity you might have.

Another thing that can make learning harder as an adult is if you have any sort of serious fear of water. If you do, it's a very good idea to be a little picky about who teaches you at first, and choose someone you feel comfortable with. One reason I didn't learn when I was 8 was because of the teacher I had. I was never comfortable with her, and, looking back, I don't think she really knew how to deal with a scared 8 year old. I was very careful with selecting a teacher when I did actually learn.

I learned a bit more than 10 years ago. At that time, I was about 26.

That's true in my area, too. Sigh.

In my area, casual swimmers (the splash around the pool a few times in summer) always wear trunks. But what astounds me is that even many regular lap swimmers also choose loose boxer style trunks. Trunks are a terrible choice. There's more water drag (which slows you down), and I find them uncomfortable.

Of course, the Speedo style suit is unfashionable. I remember one person saying, "I don't want to see a guy's package." I guess my attitude is along the lines that guys are built a certain way, and if you don't like it, look elsewhere, or find some dry land activity.

18. Ticklish Fish

Damn, you're a really big adult learner hahahaha. xD

I wouldn't say I am seriously afraid of water anymore lol. When I was a kid, maybe I imagined too much, but the idea of drowning (or having pool water in your mouth/nose) is enough to scare me lol. Nowadays I drink a lot of (clean) water, so I am kind of fighting over that fear lol.

about the trunks, I have read that the drag created is useful for some to build stamina, strength, or whatever. But um, i have not read much into that.

My father (before divorcing) had attempted to teach me to swim a few times (ie: 2~3), but i don't think he was very patient and seemed irritated at me being fearing or something haha. Whatever~ But ever since then, I haven't go to the pool much lol.

And um, this is a whole new topic. Apparently in heterosexual world, it's okay for women to be boobly and butt-showing but not men? I thought most everyone (99.999999%) has either boobs+ vagina or penis. And everyone has a butt. n_n But then I am kind of separating myself from the "human body is nasty" societal view lol

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Water in your nose is not a problem. One does not breath in through the nose. You can get a mouthful of water, but you quickly learn to cope with that.

One point worth remembering: in your early attempts, you will be in shallow water. If something goes wrong, you can just stand up.

Yes, some swimmers will wear something for drag to help with conditioning. They even make special drag suits. Most of the trunk wearing lap swimmers I see, however, are probably wearing trunks for some other reason--society pressure, excessive modesty, or perhaps a really good clearance sale at Target.

Ah, the impatient father. I'm all too familiar with the impatient father.

For learning to swim, patience is required, both by the teacher, and the student. You don't learn in fifteen minutes. For that matter, it could probably be argued you can never finish learning. There is always something that can be improved or changed.

Interesting double standard, isn't it?

20. Ridiculous

Or they just like them better!