1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally dealing with loss over a decade later.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Shadowsettler, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come partially out of the closet recently and the main reason it came to me was through exploration and uncovering a lot of hidden past that I guess just got blocked out.

I've been moderately bisexual since I was 6, when I would find men and women very beautiful creatures. I assumed that homosexual and heterosexual romance can occur at any time, but the homosexual 'race' or w/e you would call it didn't occur very often in my world. I was made to believe that I was a freak.

I became more aware during adolescence that I wasn't as interested women as I was with men but never understood why. I became violent and I had a lot of psychological problems from the stigma that was going around with my peers at the time.

My family is not homophobic, at least not in the sense of being completely ignorant, but more of religious stigma, if at all. My dad's family, who is catholic, still announces their support for gay marriage, regardless of what the bible says, but i'm not sure how they will react to me being gay: probably confusing. :eusa_doh:

I'm rambling, so i'll get on point. :grin:

I started having memories from when I was about 10 years old, my best friend Ian from next door and I were closer than you can believe. So close that his mother decided it would be best to move out of town as quickly as possible. I knew that was the case because she caught us holding hands and kissing. It wasn't a frequent occurance, but I remember she got really mad at us once for hiding behind the shrubs and laying together.
    :slight_smile:

Making a long story short we were in puppy-love, and he meant most of my world to me. When he was torn away from me it disturbed me very deeply emotionally. I don't think many 10 year old's have to deal with that sort of emotional stress and trauma, but it basically put me in a shell for the next 15 years and I am now starting to deal with it.

I have a lot of anxiety issues and a tendency to smoke a lot of pot. ._. I know the doctors will tell me ''that's bad for your body, perhaps your brain'' but it aids me in facing my fears in my own mind, and it helps me ease the anxiety, although sometimes it can be a 'rough high' it's still worth the trouble learning my faults and facing fears.

EDIT: I don't think i've been dealing with it in a healthy way. I believe I have a mental dependency on marijuana and i'm not dealing with my current relationship in a responsible way, meaning I've become too attached emotionally to him and that I might be setting myself up for failure.

#1 Shadowsettler, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. UndercoverGypsy

Firstly, that's sad as fuck. Secondly, well done with starting to get over it - it must not be easy. Lastly, don't worry about the pot. As long as it's not laced with anything serious, the chances of it seriously affecting you are pretty much naught (unless you want to quit, or it's more of a moral/religious thing than medical, in which case, quit).

Good luck.

3. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you. Yeah, it's not that bad expect for the fact that it can be expensive and not always available. I think it might be a problem because I smoke a looooot~ and i'm high most of the day. I function fine, and the withdraw is not bad at all.

#3 Shadowsettler, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess this should be in a different thread.

5. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Our pasts can sometimes catch up with us. During high school, I shifted between groups of friends. Both groups were not friends with each other and I was stuck in the middle. At times I would feel left out. I either had to join one side or the other. There wasn't that "best friend" to guide me through it. I could remember having flashbacks to when I did have a really close friend (ages 5-7). We hung out all the time and I missed him so much because he was my buddy. Always had each other's backs. Never experienced romantic/sexual feelings for other boys when I was younger... Supposedly I was born heterosexual and then suddenly became gay (but that's a whole other story :icon_bigg). The point is I didn't have that close friend again until later in high school. I had friends, but I didn't necessarily trust all of them or had that close relationship with.

I'm guessing you could be experiencing that "void" in your life longing for that one person. This is probably why it is contributing to constant smoking. I think we often have these flashbacks due to something we feel "missing." I experienced that same loss roughly ten years after my best friend moved away at age 7. I was 17. Interestingly, around that time I started becoming really good friends with this one kid so it helped to let go.

6. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry about that, and maybe there is a 'void' there and maybe I should just let it run it's course. I'm doing alright as of late. ^_^

7. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an issue that needs discussed with a councilor, I guess. That was a shorthand, and the psych might need more information. I keep making referrals, but I always chicken out and consistently cancel appointments, which is a major No-Go with them, so I guess I'd better make myself go.

I don't want to and never will otherwise, so ill have to bite it.

#7 Shadowsettler, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013