1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Breakdown: PENDING

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fate, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I am screwed....

I started seeing a new shrink last month.
    The first two/three visits I didn't bring the insurance card. (my fault)
    The fourth session I brought it, they photocopied it, and I had my session.
    When I go for my last session they told me I owe $300+ and I still need to bring in my i-card.
    I then paid a $90 co-pay for that days session (my co pay should be free with my insurance)

The bill will be sent to my parents because I am a dependent on their insurance...
    I have no idea how I am going to deal with this when they get a bill for $300+

I am majorly stressing out right now because I can't deal with them down my throat
    Their not overly fond of me seeing a shrink in the first place...
    I will probably end up having a mental break down in the next few weeks

I didn't schedule my next appointment because of this insurance problem
    I told her I would get back to her once this problem is all worked out...

How should I address this with my parents?
    All I can think about is how fucked I am and my anxiety isn't helping...

#1 Fate, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. My Mum sent me off to a counsellor as soon as I asked for one and was completely happy to pay for it. Your parents may not be in the position to help you pay this off, so perhaps you should work with them to try and sort out a way of reducing the cost with the company. You need to call them up and negotiate. You've only had one or two sessions and they haven't helped you. They charged you for something that should be free. They need to give you a refund.

3. thinthinline

Sell anything you don't need and see if you can come up with the money. That way when the bill comes, you can pay for it.

Sell old text books, old regular books on half.com, old cell phones you dont use anymore, any electronics you don't want, movies you don't want or know you will never watch again, etc.

4. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, insurance. The bane of my existance. :bang: Ask the shrink if you could set up a payment plan. After that I'd call your insurance provider to see who/what exactly they cover. If you have to pay your parents back for it explain what happened. This sort of thing happens all the time with doctors/therapists not being covered by insurance. You might have to find a new shrink that your insurance will actually pay for. Good luck. :icon_sad:

5. Honor

I would call your insurance company and make sure the co pay is actually suppose to be covered first off...as well if you gave them the insurance (later yes but better than never) they should of put the first 3 sessions on that insurance as well.

First step is don't freak out...accidents happen its just a part of life..300 is a lot..and not everyone has that laying around..but if your insurance is what it says it is it should be covered..if not i would recommend talking to the center and get the situation handled if that means monthly payments of 100 to work off the debt i'm sure they'd be more than willing if that means getting u help..

I hope you don't have a break down :frowning2: hope i helped..try to have a good weekend

6. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our insurance covers the shrink,
    It's just that I didn't bring in the insurance card for the shrinks office so they billed me...
    But when I did bring it in, and after they photocopied it, I guess they lost it or sumthing...

I have no issue to help pay the bill,
    I just have no idea how to address the issue.

right now I am waiting until my parents get the bill via mail and storm in yelling at me.
    but this isn't the best thing to do probably...

I don't know I just ughhhhhh
    I want to strangle the shrinks office and at the same time disappear into the air

I'll check about getting a few of the sessions thrown off the list but I just really hate how this has come to play out...

#6 Fate, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if the insurance covers the bill then you were wrongfully billed. I'd contact the insurance company and explain the situation to them. If you're fully covered then you should be reimbursed for some of it. If your parents confront you over it I'd tell them you forgot your insurance card and were simply over-billed. I'm sure insurance companies have this sort of thing happen all the time.

8. Akatosh

Call your insurance company. As long as you were covered during those first visits, then they can still reimburse you.

9. AKTodd

I work in the insurance/benefits field. Call your insurance company and they will probably have the provider resubmit the claims. If the provider is part of the insurance company's network of providers (and they presumably are) they should be reasonably OK with doing this. They may want you to just cough up the money because it will be more than what they will get from the insurance due to the contract they have with them, but that's their problem.

I would also recommend being proactive and telling your parents about this mix-up immediately, that you have called (or are going to call) the insurance company to try and straighten it out. If possible, perhaps even ask for their assistance with dealing with the insurance company since they may have more experience with this then you do yet.

Hope this helps,

Todd