1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Important is Physical Contact With Humans?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fugs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How important is physical contact with humans? If someone goes months or even longer without touching another person does that affect their mental state?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here are 6 reasons why you need to be touched on a regular basis.

1. Feel connected to others. We are social beings, and although we all fall in different places on the introversion – extroversion scale, we all need to have that sense of connection to other members of our tribe. While some of that connection can come from having conversations with others, touch also plays an important role in human communication.

2. Reduce anxiety. Simply touching another person can make us feel more secure and less anxious. It can make us feel grounded and safe and not so all alone. It’s not just children who could use a warm, reassuring hug to make things a little better, so if you’re feeling like a bundle of nerves, go ahead and ask for a hug.

3. Bonding. Touch is one of the ways romantic partners bond with each other and parents bond with their children. When partners and families get busy and let touch go out the window, they’ll often find that they don’t feel as close and relationships suffer. Regular touch is one of the ways that we continually renew our bonds with those we love.

4. Lowers your blood pressure. Studies have shown that those that get regular touch often have lower blood pressure than those that don’t. Even having a pet can have beneficial effects! Touch can also slow the heart rate and help speed recovery times from illness and surgery.

5. Improve your outlook. It’s harder to get into a pessimistic funk when you feel the confidence of being connected to others. Touch can make people feel more optimistic and positive and less cynical and suspicious. A positive, trusting attitude towards others can reduce tension in our daily lives and improve our relationships.

6. Give us the sensory input that we crave. Scientists are just discovering how truly important it is to exercise all our physical senses for proper brain and emotional development. All the various kinds of touch from butterfly kisses to deep tissue massage send our brains the physical inputs it needs to make sense of the world. So, along with touching other people and pets, make time to explore different textures and touch sensations such as letting cool sand run through your fingers or taking a warm relaxing bath.

Don’t let yourself get too busy that you starve yourself of touch. It’s important for your physical, mental and emotional well being to touch others and let others touch you.

3. June Cleaver

I got real depressed durring my single times. Huggs make all the diffrence. My favorite part of my day is when I am in his arms. June

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dublin Boy really got all the points there. As you can see from his answer, touch is actually very important—more important than most people realize. Touch can really affect our emotional health, which is directly related to our physical health. It creates a sense of connection, of belonging, so without it, people feel disconnected and probably unloved as well. You can do a Google search on this topic, and you'll see an abundance of information that pops up about touch and its significance. I've wondered the same thing as well, so I've found some interesting info online.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Touching is extremely important to me. I feel like I don't get enough of it.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lot of solid scientific research on this, including the Harlow monkey studies, Ashley Montague's work, and others. In short, touch is absolutely necessary. Lack of touch inhibits immune response and other health-related issues, in addition to what Dublin Boy said.

But... one doesn't have to be in a relationship to get adequate touch. Everyone in my circle of friends hugs all the time, people give each other backrubs, and most of us regularly get massage. All of those are great sources of touch, as are contact sports, such as football. So we find lots of ways to fulfill that basic human need outside of being in a relationship.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could anyone provide any links? I'm having trouble turning anything up. I'm wondering if isolation is what's causing my depression.

8. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm feeling this right now :frowning2:

9. Mogget

Fugs, isolation was repeatedly stressed to me as both a cause and symptom of depression when I was hospitalized.

10. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's interesting that this discussion has come up, 'cause I feel like I've been aware of this on some level, though I'd sort of shrug it off as potential clinginess. But for some time now, I've had this inexplicable desire for more physical contact.....

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Dude... I've never had physical contact for a looong time say 4 years +. I was never a social person, but being in my current job, I started to socialize and touch people, like play fighting etc. Its improved my connection, and outlook.. I still have my negative views but its not as bad anymore.

Having a lack of touch and connection with others, makes you feel isolated, and alone, it makes your life very silent and paranoiac.

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I used to hate touch as a child, and as a result I ended up with depression in my early teens. I dont mind touch now but i dont actively seek it out. I think we all have different levels of touch that we like

13. Conifer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As everyone else has noted, touch is very important. Infants can die of a lack of physical contact.(failure to thrive, marasmus are the medical terms.) I especially like what Chip had to say about not having to be in a relationship in order to have human contact. But when you are depressed it is so hard to seek out friends, or you may even feel you have none. It wouldn't hurt to see a therapist. You may need a boost - either in the form of therapy or possibly medication) to give you the "oomph" to go find some contact. Another thought - touch doesn't always have to be human. In my alone times, I've gotten a lot of comfort from my sweet dog, who also thrives on a lot of snuggles!

14. aeva

I'm exactly the same way. When I'm going through a depressed period, other than going grocery shopping once every week or two (usually between 2 and 4am), it's rare that I leave my apartment. If a friend does come over, I quickly get annoyed at their presence, wishing I was alone again. It usually continues this way for about 6 months, til I work up the courage/desperation to admit that I can't get out of it alone.

I think it's sort of cyclical. I'm depressed so I want to be isolated, which makes me more depressed, which makes me want to be even more isolated. Sometimes, the depression comes first, sometimes the isolation does, but they are almost always linked for me.

15. MerBear

i hate when people touch me.
    i dont like wanted attention.....my ex does though

16. Convoy

I like being intimate with some people but I'm just not comfortable out in public and with people I know.

For a long time I just hated it, my past definitely reinforced it, but I really do like being with good people, it's just difficult when you hold everything back about yourself.

17. Humans are social animals who evolved to need the group and that includes touching. However, different people have different needs when it comes to touching (I hate it). Whatever feels right to you.

18. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

I honestly thought I was alone on this one. Even though I live with my family we don't hug much. I see my nieces as often as possible to get some hugs. It's still not enough. I just don't know how to go about getting more human contact. You're not alone. If I could, I would hug you. Hopefully you find what you need Fugs.

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. ^

I'm an extrovert and I love being touchy feely, but because I've been alone alot recently I've gotten into a depressive funk and isolate myself. It's definately a vicious cycle I'm working on.

Also here's a link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html?_r=0

20. isobella

It isn't.
    I haven't had any form of physical contact with any living creature, including humans, since Christmas- and I'm doing just fine.