1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty feeling, life just goes by?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yesthisistim, Mar 9, 2013.

1. yesthisistim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if this is the right section, but still.

Throughout my life I just feel empty, like something is missing. When I look back at photos of myself, I dont see me, I just see a person I hardly recognise, sure I realise that its me, but I just feel so unconnected. Days can pass by me without even realising, I have no recollection of many memories except some when I was much younger (2-5 years old). At school in lessons I just zone out, and miss a lot of important things! Is there a way to stop this? Is something wrong with me? If anyone has any advice it would be really helpful.

Thanks

2. Theodora

I can definitely relate to what you're describing, but it's hard for anyone to say 'why' you feel that way without being in your position. Feeling empty, disengaged, and distracted is usually related to depression, but if you're just going through the motions of a life that doesn't have any meaning to you for other reasons it could leave you feeling the same way.

I don't know how old you are, but do you get along with your family? I started feeling disengaged from mine a long time ago and I'm realizing it probably contributed to the feeling of detachment. I spent years on standby just waiting to live my life in the future.

3. yesthisistim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 16, I guess I get along with my family at times, and at others not at all...

4. Theodora

That sounds like a pretty normal relationship then. :lol:

Let me put it a different way though... do you feel unconnected because there's something you'd rather be doing with your life? If you're thinking about the future or something like that all the time, you probably have needs that aren't being met right now and you're bored with it at the least, which is why the days seem so uneventful.

If you just feel generally numb and can't think forward either we're back to deep depression. It helps you feel connected if you have people you can be open with, but I know that can be hard to find. (*hug*) The people around here seem friendly though.

5. teardrops04

First, I want to assure you that nothing is wrong with you. I am not saying this to make you feel better, but because it is true. We all go through a phase when we feel that "emptiness". Sometimes, it starts when we want to do something but we can't or we'd rather not do for some reasons; or we worry too much about the uncertainties of the future. You don't just "zone out" without other things occupying your mind. You need to speak out your thoughts, of course, with someone who you trust, who cares to listen, and is optimistic. :icon_wink

When I was your age, I went through that stage. I was unsure about myself, what I want, what I will be. I didn't have friends who, I feel, would understand what I was going through so I turned to my aunt (my mom was always busy with work, dad passed away when I was seven). Glad I did. While discussing my worries with my aunt, I was also having realizations and without me knowing it, I had resolutions even before my aunt could speak.

Sometimes what we need is a listening ear, a kind heart, and cup of coffee. :slight_smile: I hope you'd find one. Iff it proved to be not easy, you can always turn to us. All the best.

6. yesthisistim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your advice :slight_smile: Not sure who I can talk to though, my mum ignores the fact that I came out to her... if I tell any relatives anything, they will just tell each other, so thats not an option! My I would tell my dad, but I dont really see him that much, and don't really have the best relationship with him (Thats a whole different story though), leaving my friends.. who I'm not out to yet.. and most have a trait for spreading anything told to them in private..

7. teardrops04

Hmmmm... It seems that what's "bothering" you is the coming out thing, which is not easy given the case that you have no one to discuss it with (for the time being), but somehow it is a good start that your mom already know. We have to understand that maybe your mom is in the "adjustment" phase (some may call it denial stage, but that would be judgemental), still processing what you have told her, but eventually, she'll understand, and soon comes acceptance phase. I agree with you if you feel that it is unwise to talk to any relative, then you don't have to, especially if you still don't have the support of your family. Don't rush it and don't think about it that much, time always has its way of making things get better. Focus on making yourself someone who can they be proud of. Study hard, do good. You need to show them that your orientation will not be a hindrance to what they "expect" you to be, prove your worth. :slight_smile:
    In case you want to talk about something, you can always talk to any of us. That's why we're here, ayte?