1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimate partner violence in LGBT relationships

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by greatwhale, Mar 9, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This article:

Bisexual Women and Gay Men at Higher Risk for Intimate Partner Violence | Advocate.com

discusses the higher risks of intimate-partner violence among bisexual women and gay men.

Do you believe that there is a reason (not an excuse) for this that is unique to those abusers and the abused who identify themselves as members of the LGBT community?

What should be done about this??

Do you think it awkward to discuss this topic in a forum that celebrates the process of coming out?

2. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think it's awkward, I think it is necessary since we are claiming on this forum that we ARE LGBT, so we have to face the music and deal with these accusations. I've heard this before too. You have to admit, and I might get attacked for this but it's the truth, gay/bisexual people usually deal with a lot more psychological issues than your average person, so abusive LGBT relationships isn't all that surprising to me :/

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an important topic to me, as I have suffered an array of physical (not sexual) and psychological abuse from a step-father as a child and am currently suffering within an abusive marriage (non-violent, just psychologically abusive).

I guess I need to know and recognize the signs, and what to avoid, before entering into a long-term relationship with a man, I am not interested in yet more drama...or the feelings of guilt and shame that go along with it.

I recognize that gay men will have issues, but which of these portend potential abuse?

4. June Cleaver

I think this site is for support of more than just comming out problems. As for abuse, what can be done about it? Two of my five partners were abusive. Though I have never been with a gay man, but the two that were violent were the two who identified as bisexual. June

5. Gen

Gen

I believe this topic has a place in this forum, but I am a bit skeptical of the information here. All this article seems to support is the existence of abuse in LGBT relationships, but its claim of higher risk/instances doesnt really make sense.

This basically just says that women are most commonly abused by men. That is definitely true. However, how does this relate to bisexual women rather than any women who begins a relationship with a man? If it said, 95% of violence on women is on bisexual women, then that would make sense. Bisexual women arent at a high risk, women in relationships with men are.

Studies have already showed that violence in the modern world has been become more of a two way street than in the past. However, in most states/countries female violence against men is either not legally discussed and/or is not treated seriously by police. Not to mention, most instances in violence toward men by whatever is never reported.(Shame and such)

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that abuse is something that is should be taken lightly in the gay or any other community. Only that these specific beliefs of higher risk dont really make sense.

#5 Gen, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. Ianthe

The study showed that bisexual women were more likely to be abused than straight women or lesbians, and that gay men were more likely to be abused than straight or bisexual men. Additionally, in all cases, the perpetrators were most likely to be men--95% of the time or more. I agree that violence perpetrated by women on men is under reported, but not so much so that it would be anything close to even.

I think the most interesting thing is that bisexual women were more likely to be abused (by a man) than straight women, even though straight women are more likely to be in a relationship with a man in the first place. Although it could also be that bisexual women are more likely to report abuse than straight women are.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being in clinical research, I am very aware of how skewed statistics can be. Ill-defined endpoints, self-reporting or underreporting biases are legion in a lot of these sociological studies. There is probably a kernel of truth in them, but it must be a statistical analysis nightmare to come up with meaningful results

I guess my question is also related to the way that intimate partner conflicts are handled in LGBT relationships; is there a difference? Two gay males in a domestic dispute that becomes intense...I guess I don't know what can happen...

#7 greatwhale, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. Gen

Gen

My point was that this is exactly what it doesnt show. There is no doubt that heterosexual women have more cases of physical abuse compared to bisexual women, even if only for the fact that their numbers are much larger. Therefore, these beliefs must essentially be "guessitmates" based on the amount of cases reported by bisexual women and the amount of bisexual women we can assume are in society. Certainly, violence perpetrated by women isnt even with men, but this information would be neccesary to make the claim that gay men are more actively abused than _______ other sexual groups. I'm not saying what is true or false, only that the basis of this article seems flawed.

Yes, I think there is a slight difference. We have even had a few posters on here talk about experiencing sexual abuse as gay men. I think men tend to overall be more tragically accommondating in these situations than women.

9. therunawaybff

Me and Nick didn't fight very often when we were together before, but I can say that the couple of times in the past when we really did fight, I felt like it might come to blows at a few points during the exchange.

If either of us throws a punch in the future, I'm sure it will be a fists-flying-rolling-in-the-floor fight at that point. But neither of us so far is willing to throw the first punch in an argument, I guess, so it never comes to that. (I don't see it happening.)

I also think if we did end up fighting like that and Nick threw the first punch, we'd never report it to the police or anything. I wouldn't feel victimized. I'd just acknowledge it as an argument that got out of hand. But if I threw the first punch, I'd feel terrible.

But was there potential for violence in our relationship back when we were closeted in college, and trying to appear completely straight while also secretly seeing each other on the sly? Oh yeah. There has always been an undercurrent of that in our relationship back then whenever we fought because we were just frustrated and paranoid.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It rings true to me that being closeted, with all the attendant paranoia, is a dangerous situation and would probably affect both partners negatively, potentially leading to violence. I would also guess that one partner who is ambiguous about accepting his/her sexuality miight point his or her anger at the one person who represents the sexuality that they find hard to accept.

I agree also that male victims of conjugal violence (whether gay or straight) are also far less likely to even characterize it as assault (my wife has pointed a knife at me in anger a couple of times - nothing more was said and she even denies it happened). There is shame, fear, love and pride all bundled together into a tight knot and it makes it hard to acknowledge that this is really unacceptable.

So to my original question, what is to be done about this? I would start with just that; not accepting violence and not staying with someone who chooses that to settle an argument.

There are some things that are just not to be tolerated, ever.

11. AKTodd

The three yr relationship I had many yrs ago in AZ basically ended the night we were having a fight (that was happening a lot at this point) and he "cleared" the bathroom counter so hard that things hit the wall and shattered.

This voice in my head just said "That's it. I'm done." I started things in motion to leave the next day. Because if he was going to take things to the point of throwing stuff against the wall, how long before he tried throwing me against the wall? Because if that happened, it could have only ended in one of two ways...

12. therunawaybff

I will admit to being guilty of this at various points in our relationship. I wavered violently between pulling him to me, pushing him away in disgust, or being viciously jealous of his girlfriends because even if I couldn't be with him - or felt like I couldn't - I sure as hell didn't want anyone else to be with him either. And I also experienced these things from him to a lesser degree, but because he was a lot more accepting of our relationship than I was, he mostly had to put up with my self-loathing bullshit.

And I'm not proud to admit it (ashamed to admit it, actually) but when he first kissed me there was definitely a moment when I almost hit him. Like hard enough to put him on the ground. Even though it was something I subconsciously wanted. Because it was just such a shock to me, and I was raised so against homosexuality that I was almost horrified to be put in that position. I was even more disturbed that it was a position I wanted to be in.

Every time I think back on it, I can't help but think about this scene:

YouTube[YOUTUBE]22VmzX35pvM[/YOUTUBE]

Society really fucks with gay guys and their feelings. It's amazing any of us get out of it with our sanity intact.

I guess because I consider me and Nick to be pretty much equals in a fight (okay, if it came down to it, he might be able to whip me, just because he works outdoors all day) I'm just not in a position be scared of him even if he did hit me. If we had a physical altercation, I wouldn't feel like it was abuse, or a stronger partner intimidating/overpowering the weaker one. Or at least not in the same dynamic as the whole "beaten housewife" scenario. There's just a different power dynamic between two men in a romantic relationship, at least as far as I can tell. All of the women I've dated have been my inferiors in strength and size. I could have easily beaten any of them. But if I raised a hand to Nick, there's a good chance he would kick my ass around the room for me.

I say that I would immediately fight back if Nick ever hit me, but the truth is I would probably be so surprised I wouldn't know how to immediately react.

Yeah, but is it really that cut and dry? What if someone raises a hand against you that you've been with for a decade? What if emotions were running high on both sides of the argument, and there was shared blame in the escalation of the conflict?

I'm not defending domestic violence at all. Just saying it's not quite as easy as getting one lick and saying, "Hit the road Jack, and don't you come back no more." Or at least it's not for me.

I was beaten several times by my father as a boy (not spanked, beaten, as in with the buckle end of a belt) and not enough to where I would classify it as "often", but enough to where I can remember it happening at various different points during my childhood. I still love him though.

If Nick hit me, I know it would not cause me to love him any less. I know that sounds fucked up, but it's the truth.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's not so cut and dry...I guess it is also a function of all the other power and abuse dynamics that go along with it. I'm also suspicious of absolutes, but where is the line drawn?

I remember being beaten by my stepfather, electrical cords and breaking a broomstick on my leg. He died in car accident when I was twelve...good riddance.

#13 greatwhale, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  14. therunawaybff

I guess for me I would be a lot more accepting of domestic violence as a freak incident, versus a habitual problem.

Strangely, my dad is one of the nicest, most generous, most devout men I know. And in most regards he is a very good man. But he definitely took that "spare the rod and spoil the child" thing to heart though.

That being said, while he did beat me and my brother (like I said, not all the time though, because we were fairly good kids) he never laid a hand on my mother in anger not once that I know of their entire twenty-seven years of marriage.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive posted elsewhere about reading that there is a real difference between biological fathers vs. stepfathers, essentially the archetype of the "evil step-parent" in fairy tales has some basis in truth.

To this day, 40 years after he died, I still feel a visceral hatred for the man (he was a doctor, a "healer") and it still colours my perceptions of domestic violence, no doubt about it.

16. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am no expert in this, but first I want to say it is right to talk about it on here which is a safe space for us all.

I have been with my partner for twenty years. He is much bigger than me and also very strong. He has never in all that time raised his fist in anger to me. I think this is because of two reasons, we are both able to express our feelings to each other before it gets too difficult and secondly we do not try and lay the blame for things going wrong on each other.

I believe that violence is the last resort when one or both can not communicate at the level of feelings. Some times violence is a last attempt to stop the argument.

In answer to your point about what signs we should look for I would say that if the other person is unable to communicate at the level of feelings then that should be a warning sign in any relationship of possible violence.

one last point we never go to sleep without first sorting out any disagreement. At times this has meant staying awake for quite a long time before going to sleep

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, MapleCross,

There are few instances in this Forum of long-term couples and I truly value the time you took to respond.

Yes, communication skills are crucial.

I have diagnosed ADD and sometimes I wonder if my being scattered appears as aloofness, which in turn gets misinterpreted as not caring. Not that I am blameless in certain exchanges, and I do not use ADD as an excuse for anything. But I am surprised often when I have no intent to harm that others perceive it as such.

It is a real skill this communication business, and I have to learn how to do it better. And yeah, I can see that having a rule like not going to bed until things are resolved can lead to some sleepy day-times afterwards LOL!