1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Months without menstruating. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Vesper, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Vesper

I can't remember when exactly I last went through menstruation, but I believe it's sometime late last year (likely December), so that makes at least three months that I haven't had a period. I have had similar experiences before, and don't know if this is normal or something for which I should seek medical attention. Any advice or similar experiences? Thanks!

2. Zontar

I presume we can rule out the obvious and assume you haven't had sex. If your period just stopped you should probably see the gynecologist as that could be a number of things, some serious.

3. Ianthe

Yes, you should be concerned and see a doctor if you are not menstruating regularly.

Are you an athlete or anything?

4. Femme

Assuming you aren't pregnant, you should see a gynecologist. My periods have always been irregular and I have pills to bring it on if it goes past 2 months. You might have the same issue and if so you'll need the pills I take. Otherwise it could be stress or serious strenuous exercise.

5. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

This happened to me - I only got a period every few months for a while. I held off on going to see the doctor because...who likes getting their period right? In the end, I'm glad I went. The gynecologist told me that several hormonal issues can cause irregular periods, and that it is very important to get them treated. She tested me for PCOS and thyroid levels among other things, and I was ultimately diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Being treated for that has ultimately helped me lose weight and helped me with other symptoms that I didn't know were related.

6. TKM

TKM

When i started Preseason for volleyball (running lke 4 miles everyday) my period was about 2months late same goes for some of my teammates, so I'm guessing if your working out that might be why it's late.

7. KaraBulut

There are circumstances where periods may be temporarily irregular- during intensive athletic training, during times of stress, after sudden weight loss, etc.

In the absence of these factors and when the irregularity persists, it is time to see your gynecologist since this can be a symptom of other issues.

8. Vesper

First of all, thanks to all who responded, and apologies for neglecting my own thread.
    • I'm not an athlete, nor do I do strenuous exercise on a regular basis--very infrequently, in fact. (Is a week-long period of strenuous exercise enough to cause over two months' worth of missed periods? I'm saying this because my family took a 6-day trip to Amsterdam in late Dec. early Jan., and we did quite a bit of walking and staircase climbing every single day.)
    • I'm a virgin, and am not (nor ever have been) pregnant.
    • I have been under stress for a long period of time, but not any more these past few months than immediately prior, when I was having regular periods.
    • I'm also slightly obese.
    I'm wary of seeing doctors because I don't yet have medical insurance of my own, and can't be covered under my parents' insurance due to being older than 26.

9. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I believe that you can get a basic gynecological exam at Planned Parenthood. Maybe you can try to contact them to see what they can do for you.

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister didn't have her period for an entire year at one point! She found out she had PCOS when she was trying for baby with her husband but now she has a bouncing baby boy! :grin:

That note aside, I'd look into it for sure!

11. Clowstar

that used to happen to me. i asked my doctor about it and he referred me to an endocrinologist that said i have PCOS. i got some medication for it and it's regulated now.
    PCOS is also very common in women, so it's possible that you might have it.