1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDC recommended vaccinations for gay/bi men

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by PeteNJ, Mar 12, 2013.

1. PeteNJ

Folks, I've started the series of Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccinations. To me it just makes sense, especially Hep B you do not want to get.

You younger guys, note that HPV is also recommended.

My doctor concurred.

Pete

What vaccinations does CDC recommend for gay and bisexual men?
    • Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccinations are recommended by CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) because of higher rates of infection among gay and bisexual men.
    • Two doses of the Hepatitis A vaccine are needed for lasting protection and the doses should be given at least six months apart.
    • A series of three or four doses of the Hepatitis B vaccine are usually given providing long-lasting protection.
    • Seasonal flu and the H1N1 flu vaccinations are also recommended.
    • Each vaccine is a single dose shot given before the start of the flu season in the fall.
    • HPV vaccine is also available for gay and bisexual men up to 26 years of age to prevent genital warts and other HPV-associated diseases and conditions.
    • The HPV vaccine is given as a three-dose series over a six month time period. It is best to be vaccinated before the first sexual contact, but later vaccination will protect those who have not been exposed to HPV.

CDC - For Your Health - Gay and Bisexual Men's Health

2. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good posting Pete, thanks for reminding us.

Sale Gay Guy

3. BornInTexas

I heard you can also get HPV through casual contact. Is that true? If so, then aren't HPV vaccinations pointless? There are hundreds of types, and some of them are more serious than others, but won't HPV go away on it's own if it isn't serious?

4. Convoy

The HPV vaccine that is given to men generally protects against three kinds or so of HPV that are the most likely to be spread though sex. It can be spread though casual contact however the chances of contracting it when sexually active are much higher.

HPV can go away on it's own but it last much longer in some people than others and you can be continually reinfected if your having sex. For that reason HPV is pretty common among sexually active people.

If your under 26 or have had limited sexual contact then it's best to get it. No real downsides unless you have a major issue with vaccines (I had a friend who can't get them due to an allergic reaction that left him partly paralyzed/desensitized).

Anyone know how common hep A & B vaccines are? I know I had some vaccines a while ago but I never really found out what, I'm going to ask about it when I go sometime but they were unable to tell me last (Record mix up).

5. BornInTexas

Thanks for clarifying that for me. =)

I'm going to ask my doctor about the Hep A & B vaccines when I go on the 26th of March. I don't know if I have them or not, but I will definitely find out. Anything to keep my health in good shape. =)

I heard people don't know if they have HPV most of the time. Are there any recommended tests for me, other than knowing that you have it due to genital warts and stuff? Or pain in the genital area?

I read there are anal pap smears, but is that only for women, or men too?

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Can the HPV strand that causes genital warts go away on its own? And I thought the hep vaccinations were required before you start school?

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completed my third round of vaccinations for Hepatitis A, B, and HPV just this past month.

8. Convoy

There aren't any currently approved tests for men for HPV, Anal pap smears have been suggested however they are far from common or approved by many medical facilities.

Anal pap smears can be done on anyone (Who doesn't have an anus?) however they are uncommon and not recommended by many practitioners. Many women have pap smears as a part as their routine healthcare plans.

Warts and such can be a sign of HPV however they are not a definite sign since they can be caused by other causes. Regardless if you have any kind of wart or non typical feeling/pain, etc it is best to get it treated or at least looked at.

9. KaraBulut

Just to clarify-

There are several strains of HPV that can cause anything from common warts (usually seen on the hands) to cancer.

The HPV vaccine is intended to protect against the strains of HPV that transmitted sexually and are likely to cause cancer of the cervix, anus or mouth. These strains are different than those that cause genital warts.

10. flymetothemoon

KaraBulut is right. While warts would be irritating, they are much more obvious and give you a sign to get to the doctor and get checked. The strains that cause cancer don't cause warts and give you no visible sign until you have symptoms from the cancer, so it is certainly (generally) best to do whatever you can to protect yourself against them.