1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tans

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Micah, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Micah

Ok, I've always been fair skinned but had a major thing for tanned guys. Sooo a while back I decided to use moisturizer with a small amount of fake tan in it, that gradually builds up a tan.

This worked pretty well, except I had to apply it every day and it took me an extra 10 minutes in the morning to get ready before school and I just got too lazy. Now I'm considering getting a spray-tan this thursday, however I've heard conflicting arguments over whether or not they are natural looking/worth it.

So what's your opinion? Are there any alternatives I should consider?

2. TriBi

Option 1. - Burnt Red?:eek:
    Option 2. - Deathly white.:icon_sad:
    Option 3. - Bright orange.:lol:

Oops...:la:

3. Micah

you make me sad :frowning2:

I've seen some really hot fake tans but. *sad panda*

4. LorenzG1950

TriBi has covered most of the options with exceptional precision and brevity. The only other option is to acquire a slow, natural tan beginning with 10 or 15 minutes per day and increasing the dose until you can endure an hour or so. The spray tan is like the cream stuff which fades and washes away irregularly, giving you all the symptoms of a fatal skin disease, not to mention the colorful hue of a walking carrot:icon_bigg .

Of course, that's easy for me to say. I get 3 shades darker just listening to a sunny weather forecast or "Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks.

What's wrong with white anyway?

5. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fake spray tans scare me.

Pale is beautiful.

6. Micah

Hey hey - theres nothing wrong with white. But I mean it's summer here in a few days and I think it would be nice to have a tan. Hrm looks like I must consider my options :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Why not just try to get a real tan? It isn't quite as instant, but you can't beat the real thing!

8. Micah

Well I did it today - got my spray tan.

Colour is absolutely hot. I love it to death. I won't post a picture unless anyones interested in seeing how a spray tan looks.

Final verdict - awesome.

9. TriBi

Oh well - as long as you're happy...

I'm just interested about what happens if you combine (from my post) #3 with #1.

Burnt Orange?

I have to admit I don't go out of my way these days to get a tan - but I spend so much time out of doors (often training) that I tend to get quite a good tan anyway...pretty much year round.

Oh well - it's all about instant gratification these days I guess...:la:

(Sorry Dave - you know I'm just pulling your leg!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

10. Cloud Nine 5

I want to get a tan soon too. I look kinda pale lately and a nice tan would make my piercings hotter.

I hear you have to be a pro with Spray Tan, or else it's all just messy and uneven. I wanted to get tan-towels but it wears off unevenly within a week (or so I heard), and that just won't work. It's also expnesive because you're only fully-tanned for like 3 days.

The best way is the natural one but that dries your skin and makes you start aging earlier.

Advice? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Micah

Well it really depends on how well you tan naturally.

If you are like me, and don't get even the slightest hint of a tan after spending 3 days in the sun, then the natural tan probably isn't for you :tongue: you'll only end up red/wrinkly.

If you tan fairly easily, yet are too worried about the sun, you can spent 10 minutes a day in a solarium to build up a gradual tan.

If natural tans just aren't for you (either you cant or want an instant tan) then the best methods are either a gradual moisturizer tan, an instant lotion tan, or an instant spray tan.

The gradual moisturizer tan (such as "johnsons holiday skin) is a moisturizer with a mixed in tanning agent. Using this every day will build up an even tan. There is less chance of streaking too, as the tan is built up gradually.

Instant tanning lotion is another method. It's instant, but is usually the one that turns orange if you dont buy the good brands. If you apply it wrong it can streak. A good way to make sure this tan goes alright is to get a professional to apply it.

Spray tan - the tan I got :slight_smile: Its hot. I love it. It's instant. The only problem is during the first six hours you cant shower, and it can sometimes get on your clothes (so wear old clothes). You'd only get this from a professional. I just looked up www.yellowpages.com for mine. I'll let you know how long it lasts and how well it fades :slight_smile:

As for price, the spray tan cost me AUS$30...which is about US$20 and UK$13. It's supposed to last up to 7 days before fading (but even the fading takes time and still looks hot). So we'll see.

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And raises your risk for skin cancer, don't forget. People shouldn't tan period. I mean, okay, if you are outside during the summer and you get some sun, fine. But lying in the sun baking yourself? Basically you're subjecting yourself to very slow radiation poisoning because a bunch of people got together and decided darker skin was better than paler skin. Why risk cancer when you can use sunblock? :slight_smile:

Given that, I guess if you absolutely must be tanned, the fake tan is the way to go. Provided it doesn't have poisonous chemicals in it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wouldn't know--I've never looked into it.

13. Cloud Nine 5

Thanks! Really helpful...

I get a tan preety easily. It takes me like 30 minutes in the sun to get color.

10 minutes a day still dries your skin to the point of wrinkles though, right? It's not worth it if it does... I think it only lowers your chance of skin cancer and being sunburnt, but still affects your skin, especially the area under the eyes.

Have you tried a moisturizer? Sounds good :slight_smile:

I'd definitely need a professional to apply the spray tan, but it's a trouble to go every week and make sure your tan stays strong, especially when I have school and it's just dumb to show up pale 2 days after you were kinda dark. BUT let me know how long it stays :slight_smile: Did you apply the spray tan yourself? I know some do it horrible to themsleves... The price is preety good though, that means you pay 80$ and you're tanned for a month. That's IF it actually lasts a week. They always say it lasts "up to to a week..." which technically means it can lose tan within one DAY.

14. step49x

I totally agree.

About this time of year, I really stop caring about getting tan (i don't care that much during the summer, but care even less right now).

I usually wear a sweatshirt all the time. All you can usually see of my skin is my face, hands, and occasionally arms (when i roll up my sleeves to wash my hands).

Ah, well. To each, his own.

15. Micah

I'm not 100% sure of the exact effects 10 minute exposure a day will have. However, think about it like this. You go outside for more than 10 minutes a day, and you don't get instant aged skin. Basically, that 10 minutes is spent exposing your entire body, to get an tan on your chest/back/legs. You could probably even cover up your face during that 10 minutes as your face is exposed normally.
    I used to use a moisturizer with a tanning agent in it, however it really just took me too long in the morning to apply and I didn't really want to apply it before bed (since it would probably just come off on my sheets. But the overall quality was pretty good :slight_smile:

I got my spray tan done by a professional...I'm in my 3rd day so far and it still looks amazing. I have a pool party on monday (day 5) so hopefully it'll still be strong by then. But depending on your natural skin tone, you probably don't want to be seen on day 1. On day 1 I was BLACK. As I said, you're not supposed to shower for 6 hours, and until then it was ridiculously dark. But after you shower the color is extremely healthy. So if you were going to get it done often, I would suggest doing it during the evening, (like 5-8pm), letting it dry then showering in the morning.

Well I've been pale for the last 17 years of my life. Only recently have I become interested in having a tan. Being blonde, I "do" pale pretty well too...but I just wanted a change for the holidays. It also gives my body a lot more definition. I'll probably go pale again in the winter :slight_smile: I like both.

16. step49x

Where I'm from, it's a little cold for pool parties. It snowed yesterday, and I'm pretty sure that it won't be warm again for another couple months. Oh, how I love living in Michigan...

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couple of months?! Lucky you! Here in Vancouver it probably won't stop raining until May or June, although recently we had the snowstorm of the century. Well, it felt like it, although compared to the rest of Canada it probably seemed minor.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK we are lucky if it stops raining for a couple of weeks in the summer!

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can usually count on 6 weeks... 8 if we're lucky. Not that it rains constantly the rest of the time but it sure seems like it.

20. Micah

It's rained like 5 times in Melbourne in the past 8 months :slight_smile: