1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Condoms

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BoiGeorge, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I need some advice. I was homeschooled for most of my high school life so I missed out on sex education. I didnt think this would bother me until now, realizing Im now bisexual and not lesbian like I thought I was. As a result, I have no idea how to apply a condom, what brand to use, etc. Any advice would be seriously helpful, as I plan on carrying a few around in my wallet just in case. Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. June Cleaver

They say to always use latex. I have always used Trojen ultra-thin with no problem ever in 22 years. Once I grabbed some Lifestyle condoms from the bar at the last min and it was the only one to break on me back in the mid 90's. So I never used anything but Trogen ultra-thin again when I use them. My last partner wanted a open relationship because he was bi so we used a lot of them over those years. I never let him touch me without one. He was above adverage size and rough in bed but none ever broke on us. Also the ones with spermaside kills hiv too so they taught us in health class. Also if he is going from the front to back on you he must change it first on women. If you don't trust him don't expose yourself to any of his fluids doing other things. There are other bad things to catch out there besides hiv and the bacteria std's are much easier to catch and some strands are medicine resistant these days. to put it on you just place it on the end and roll it down. He should know what to do. Don't let him say you are special so it is not needed. Also be real carefull that he does not slip it off while doing you. I am sorry for being blunt but some guys will do that without you knowing. Whoredog types may try that and are so smooth you won't know what happened. That hapened to me more than once over the years, only I can feel the diffrence when it happens. So be carefull if he puts up a fuss about using them. Have fun! June

#3 June Cleaver, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Convoy

Condoms break down in the heat and when stressed even in packaging so if you do carry them on person like in a wallet or leave them a car it is best to replace them every so often. There are expiration dates too, most condoms last anywhere from 2years to five years from date of purchase, don't use expired condoms (Although they are better than nothing, best not to do anything then).

Spermicides can help to stop the transmission of sperm but many have had some pretty bad side effects and can cause irritation. Contrary to popular belief they can be harmful during anal sex and increase the risk of transmitting HIV since the irritation can lead to more small cuts and tears that the virus can be transmitted though. Some women have had some bad reactions to them too so you might want to watch out for them.

Brand is generally not that important, most condoms have to meet a certain requirement and generally all of them hold up to that. Fit is important but the "normal" condom will fit the majority of guys without an issue and unless the guy is massive should work just fine. In fact slippage is one of the bigger issues, when condoms tend to not stay in place due to poor fit.

Make sure to use good quality lube too, especially during anal sex (the anal cavity is un-lubricated and requires added lubrication for sex). Water based lube is often the best for women and kinds that do not have added sugar or yeast are important to prevent the possibility of upsetting the balance of bacteria down there.

Douching should be avoided especially for women and has a very limited (If any) purpose other than upsetting the natural state of things and causing irritation (Which can make STD transmission easier).

And don't have sex without them (At least with a male), it's not worth the risk of std/HIV transmission and everything. I would also consider getting routine testing if you are sexually active at least twice a year (Every six months) or more frequently.

Viruses like HIV can not appear on tests for up to 3 months in general, "the window period" so getting tested at appropriate time frames will let you know better about your status. No test is definite and it is not a good indicator of safety since someone can be tested clean one day and the next contract and potentially spread the virus.

5. castle walls

I wouldn't keep a condom in your wallet. Condoms should be stored in a cool, dry place where they aren't being moved around constantly. If you keep a condom in you wallet and said wallet is in your car or your pocket, it'll probably get too hot and damage the condom. Just because you look at a condom and it seems fine doesn't mean that it is. The holes can be too small to see with the naked eye. If your partner provides the condom, I'd ask where he usually keeps it and when he bought it. I like to be extremely cautious. I will not be getting a STD.

Don't forget to look at the expiration date on the condom. They do not last forever and never use a condom after the expiration date.

As for the always use latex thing, some guys are allergic to latex. Granted, quite a few people are lying when they say that. Regardless, you may want to have a non-latex Durex condom as well as a Trojan just in case. Do not let anyone use a latex allergy as an excuse not to use a condom.

Also, I suggest that you use flavored condoms for oral sex only. If you use them for vaginal sex, they may irritate you and you could get an infection. Also, condoms lubricated in spermicide by the manufacturer are not necessarily more effective.

According to the World Health Organization:
    People use a lot of excuses to avoid using condoms. If safe sex is important to you, don't let anyone talk you into anything else

#5 castle walls, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Thanks everyone! I feel very prepared now :slight_smile: