1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with self image and diet

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DanDan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone! :slight_smile:
    At the beginning of last summer, I went to the doctor and was told that if I didn't quit my bad eating habits, I would develop liver problems, and the best way to fix that was to lose weight. So I fought my laziness, and started working out at home with all my available resources. 10 months ago, I weighed 192 pounds (not healthy for a 15 year old), but today I've managed to drop 55 pounds (137 right now). Everyone compliments me on my progress, and it's made me feel a bit better. But the thing is, I still have some belly fat and lower back fat (which is not too much because I can apparently hide very well to the point where it's not noticeable with clothes on) that is driving me insane ,and I'm sorry if it makes me sound like one of those people that are extremely thin but complain that they're fat, but I still feel unfit. I'm still making progress though, I notice my fat keeps going away every week and I'm becoming more muscular, but I'm starting to have constant cravings alot, and with a mother that constantly disrespects my diet change, it's hard to deal with it, and with school in the way, there are days where I can't get my workout done. I don't want to go back to where I was 10 months ago, but I still feel fat and unwanted. Any advice? :icon_sad:

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bro, do you do weights at the gym? coz that takes care of excess skin... and any unwanted fat...

3. photoguy93

Are you healthy? Or just skinny? Being healthy is the goal here - if you have some extra fat, that's ok. But you just need to be healthy!

Just work on getting that fat gone but please, stay healthy! Don't harm yourself!

4. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't afford to go workout at the gym, so I've just had to rely on exercise videos, lifting dumbbells, and jogging on my treadmill. If I could, I would LOVE to go to the gym.

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2013 at 08:08 PM ----------

To be honest, I don't even know anymore. :icon_sad:

5. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    with the dumbbells, do squats with them and also sit ups if you can... it targes the belly...

with the back area do the incline push up...

better yet... go on youtube it would show workouts with dumbells that can target the unwanted fat...

find a 24/7 gym? your 15/16 make time man... if thats the goal then you need to make sacrifices... i go gym 5 days a week @ 6am and im at work by 9... it gives you energy during the day... and also take some protein bars for lunch... they aint expensive

6. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me, I make sacrifices. I don't really have much $$$ (I'm lucky to get $20 a month :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and I many times sacrifice homework time for working out (I still maintain high grades though), and my school does give me alot of extra homework compared to other schools in my city, so it's tough. What I do eat though is:
    Breakfast- Cereal (I only eat honey bunches of oats and special k), an apple or pear, and low fat greek yogurt with a granola topping.
    Lunch- Sandwich (average size,whole grain bread, 1 slice of low fat ham and cheese, lettuce, avocado, and tomatoes, nothing like mustard, ketchup, and mayo, never liked those things), and sometimes a granola bar.
    Dinner - sometimes just pure vegetable soup (nothing canned or anything like that), or a piece of tilapia or fish with a salad side (without the dressing).
    I also drink atleast 5-6 glasses of water per day (if not more), and 2-3 apples or pears a day.
    Sometimes my mom gets a little crazy and brings fatty foods that I really try to avoid though, but it's hard. And we go out to restaurants once a week, but I usualy don't order anything heavy.

7. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lol gees bite my head off would ya... heheheeh

dude, your on a good diet... just go easy on the apples/pears mix it up with carrots/celery/nuts... your good to go...

you can also have at least one cheat day per week... up to you... i normally have a bigmac on my cheat days

8. The Dude

Hey DanDan...not much advice but I have this...

I was always really skinny/healthy then in my junior year of high school put on some weight. Kept eating right (overall) and going to track practices everyday (winter/spring) and was active. Still put on 20 lbs. By senior year it was mostly gone. Freshman in college I'm back down to my normal skinny self (with less effort). Sometimes bodies do that around your age, so I wouldn't sweat it. You're not done growing buddy. Keep doing the right things and you'll look the way you want to in no time. You have great habits, keep it up! Try not to get to frustrated/discouraged, it'll come.

9. Rapter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Carefull on the dairy and fruit.. High in sugar. Your first meal should be Vegetables no fruit or milk. Cow milk is bad for you, and so is yogurt. :bang: try drinking sugar free almond milk instead.

I started a thread about diet and excercise check it out. Mostly you just have to give it time, weight loss takes months, getting a six pack takes thousands of sit ups and even more time. A beach bod is high maintainence. :thumbsup: keep it up youll see results as you know. Also instead of apples through a banana in there. High in sugar as any fruit so moderation yes but potassium is good.

Remember, sugar (whether from a chocolate bar or fruit)makes you fat and dairy = bad.
    Vegetables are your best friend, anything green and leafy.

10. KaraBulut

The answer to your dilemma is a different way of thinking. You're looking at your body and seeing the fat deposits that remain from your heavier days. What you're missing is that your body is more like a deflated balloon- the skin is loose and to make it look full again, you will need to eat more and build muscle to fill the loose skin.

You're still eating a weight-reduction diet. To maintain your weight, you should be eating about 2600kcal as a minimum. The foods that you've listed are probably about 1/2 of that.

This is where a lot of people who were overweight struggle- how to change from a fat loss diet into a healthy diet/exercise plan. You might check with your parent's insurance plan to see if it will pay for a nutritionist. An individual gym membership is about $20-40 per month and your family might be able to get a family membership that covers everyone in the family, particularly at gyms like the YMCA or family fitness gyms.