1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Should I Wait (Period Woes)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Exoskeleton, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Exoskeleton

It's my understanding that it can take some years for a girl's menstrual cycle to normalize. I started mine about seven years ago, and back then it was pretty nice, neat, and regular. However, for the past year (maybe two) it's been far from regular, popping out of hiding sporadically after months of being nowhere to be found. My last period arrived after a four and a half month delay, and lasted for 14 days straight.

I find that to be ridiculous, but I'm wondering how long I should wait for it to sort itself out before going to see a doctor. I don't want to run to the clinic just to hear my doctor say "Oh that's quite normal for a girl your age, no worries" and send me on my way with lighter pockets.

2. If it used to be really regular and then went crazy, it might not hurt to see your doctor now. I'm not a doctor but that doesn't seem right. Mine and most girls I know have theirs regularly after just a few years--much less seven!

There are a lot of reasons why your period can get wonky, drastic weight loss, lots of stress or way more serious stuff that your doctor should be able to help you figure out.