1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Depression, asking for support from friends?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by midwestgirl89, Mar 21, 2013.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi I've been severely depressed for 6 to 7 months. I say severe because I've dealt with depression before and this is the worst bout I've ever had. I've also had to convince myself to keep living many times in this depression. It's a hopelessness, worthlessness, darkness, despair that won't go away.

I'm starting counseling and medicine but the "now" gets bad. I need to give them both a chance but it doesn't seem like it is enough for now. I feel like I'm alone and have no support in real life and like none of my real life friends or family are worried about me. (I have told a few people I am really depressed/depressed/not doing well but not the actual symptoms. My mom supports me but doesn't know what's wrong. I haven't told anyone how bad it is because I don't want them to worry too much or think I'm crazy.)

I don't know how to express my condition to them without scaring them or being melodramatic. Telling them "I'm depressed" is simply not sufficient to explain the severity of my illness. It's like saying "I have a cold" versus "I have terminal cancer."

Is it common for college graduates to become this depressed? How would a person ask for help from their friends without worrying anyone too much?

2. starmarie

starmarie Guest

I wish I could have replied sooner, and I hope you get better soon. Depression is such a drainer (that feels like an understatement). But it's good that you are asking for help. (*hug*)

I would explain to them that you are having a really hard time and just need their support. Because they are your friends they are going to worry about you. But the fact that you are asking them for help and recognizing that you need help and support shows that you are closer to recovery. Just opening up to them shows that you trust them instead of just sitting in silence until someone notices that something is up. Someone I know recently told me that they are depressed, and I am glad that they told me instead of not saying anything for fear of "bothering" me. Just the fact that they told me puts my mind at ease a little bit because they care about their health.

I think your friends will worry less if they know that they can't "fix" you but rather be there for you and support you. Try telling them that this is what you need from them. Then, they will know to be there for you because that is what you need right now.

I hope this helps. I wish you the best. (*hug*)