1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Energy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Retrospect, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Retrospect

So, for pretty much this entire semester, I have had no energy whatsoever. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I have classes at 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, and 1:00 PM. After my 11:00 class, I'm exhausted. On Tuesday and Thursday, I only have one class which begins at 11:00 AM. So, I usually sleep in a little bit on T/R. My dad thinks my problem is my odd sleep/wake schedule. For example, I wake up at 6:45 AM on Monday, and I'm usually so exhausted that I end up going to bed around 9:30 that night. So, on Tuesday, I usually sleep until 8-ish (way too much sleep, I know). As a result, on Tuesday night, I'm not tired. So, I go to sleep around midnight and have to wake up early the next morning.

Would changing my sleep/wake schedule help with this? Like waking up and going to bed at the same time every day regardless of my class times? It's annoying as hell feeling like I need to clock out at effing noon.

Also, I don't eat very well and I usually drink two sodas a day. I hardly ever eat breakfast. I do, however, work out most days of the week. Would changing my diet a bit help with this also?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A poor diet certainly can affect your energy. Especially skipping breakfast - breakfast is where you get a lot of your energy. A high activity level will also increase your need for good nutrition.

What's your BMI? If you know your height and weight, you can calculate your BMI here. If you're underweight, that could definitely be affecting your energy.

Also, how's your mood? Are you feeling sad a lot, or not enjoying anything you used to enjoy?

3. Wolfie Charm

No chance of anemia? I am the same way, particularly when anemic. That could be a good part of it. I went to the doctor a few months back to see if I was real bad (not all that bad apparently) and it turned out to be an atypical case of Epstein-Barr. I’d see about a trip to your doctor to see if (s)he recommends a blood test just in case it is something more than poor diet or to figure out where your diet most needs assistance. My eating habits are atrocious myself!

4. Rapter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good god yes diet has EVERYTHING to do with it! Good fitness/diet is the best preventative medicine to any illness!

Heres my routine: the times are when I eat

veg juice made from kale, carrots, green beans, spinach, broccoli, celery, ginger root, asparagus (1 cup) 4:30 am

Workout (4 mile run, 400 situps)

Protein shake 1 scoop protein powder(banana, froz fruit 2 cups unsweetened almond milk), 1 packet of instant cream of wheat made with water(1 thbsp of unsalted unsweetened peanut butter mixed in porrage)
    6:00 am

Banana (!) 8:45 am

salad no dressing (huge container of spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrots) 12:00pm

1 cup of egg whites 2:00 pm

Veg juice (1 cup) one fruit (banana usually I LOVE bananas) 5:00 pm

Workout (4 mile run 400 situps, 40 reps of benchpress, 40 pull ups, 80 curls)

Prot shake 1 scoop protein powder(small amount of froz fruit, 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk) 6:30 pm

bedtime for me is usually around 11 pm or so and I RARELY feel tired in the morning and I almost never get sick.

also for some other tips

- buy a vegetable juicing machine. Juice Kale, spinach, green beans, brocoli, ginger root carrots, celery, (anything green, easy on the fruit as they are high in sugar, natural sugar but sugar is still bad in high amounts)

-stop drinking all dairy. NOW. Cow milk will give you diabetes and kill you, you are not a calf don`t drink it. It is LOADED with sugar and bad fats, (about 15 grams of sugar in 1 cup of skim milk, thats comparable to pop.) drink unsweetened almond milk instead.

-eat LOTS of vegetables and fish and egg whites. Cream of wheat is good too.

-3-4 hours between meals and no food less than 4 hours before you go to bed. (except for a protein shake made with water and no fruit, calories from protein cant be stored as fat.)

Hope this gives you some ideas. (!)(!)(!)(!) mmmmmmm

5. KaraBulut

In your post, you pointed out several things that are worth changing- your diet, skipping breakfast, not having a consistent sleeping pattern, etc.

Change these things and see if it helps your energy level. You might also keep a food journal for a week and the go back and calculate whether you're getting enough total calories per day.

Also, when you say "working out"- what type of exercise are you doing?

If these changes don't make a difference in your energy level, then your next stop is to see your doctor for a physical to make sure that there's not a physical cause for the change in your energy level.

6. Retrospect

I have this stationary bike I like to ride for an hour or so, and then I lift weights. Not a full-fledged typical "workout" but it's something.

Next week, I'll try having a consistent sleep/wake schedule and eat better. More fruits/veggies and less bread, and more water rather than soda.

Thanks everyone :icon_bigg

7. Hopeful

Definitely try those things! I was really tired last year and I finally went in to get my blood tested. I thought I might have hypothyroidism and it turned out that I don't. I was also tested for my Vitamin D and several other things that I now forget but everything was fine. I'm not sure what changed; I think I was pushing myself too much but now I seem happy and I try to get to bed around the same time every night and I also have been eating snacks more often which is helping.