1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male anorexia?!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lazyfire, Mar 23, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This all started when my friends noticed that my eating habits became steadily worse. Lately, I don't have that urge to eat anymore. It's not that I look at myself and say "Holy, I'm fat". I just don't notice that I'm skinny. My friends say that I'm skinny for my age? I'm not eating during lunch and I feel that maybe they are overreacting a bit. Maybe I just can't notice.
    Do men have anorexia too?! I'm really worried now. And, they say I'm always hunching over when I'm walking. Is that another side effect of starvation?

2. RainDreamer

Anorexia is not limited to any gender. It is just excessive weight loss, but can also include obsession about body shape.

You sounds more like you are having depression than anorexia though. Lost of appetite, rapid weight loss, lack of concern for self, and sulking body language. Don't take my word though, go to a health professional and check it.

3. photoguy93

Anything is possible. However, I do agree - depression seems more likely. Anorexia is much more of a mindset. Sufferers think "I'm so fat" and cannot see that they are bone skinny. It's a horrible thing (so is depression, don't get me wrong.) do you see a therapist? If your friends are saying these things to you....then I think you need to get some help.

4. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks~ This time I don't know exactly where my depression is coming from.
    Or maybe I'm overworking myself on school work.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

No I don't. My parents don't really suspect anything but they have called me skinny for a boy. I'm not sure. I've never been in a situation like this before.

5. wocket

wocket Guest

If you aren't obsessing over food and weight, it probably isn't an eating disorder. A side effect of depression can be anorexia (loss of appetite) though. Anorexia is loss of appetite. Anorexia NERVOSA is forcible starvation due to mental illness.

I'd recommend talking to an adult or a counselor and asking for help. There are physical things that can cause loss of appetite that might need to be ruled out.