1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomina

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alabastair, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the past 3 weeks, I was supposed to get about 210 hours of sleep. I only managed to get slightly over 32, with 14 of those hours coming from the past three days. This sleeplessness is becoming a problem that is affecting my schoolwork, my family relationship, and my girlfriend and I.

At first I stayed up and pulled all nighters to finish homework, but even when I don't need to finish homework, I find myself staying up late. I try to fall asleep, I really do, but I just can't manage it.

I do not drink caffeine or exercise before bed. I do not listen to loud music (its classical before bed). I do not do homework in bed. I do not eat before bed. I don't take really hot or really cold showers. I have tried breathing exercises, day dreaming, counting sheep, counting cows, writing, drinking warm milk, and relaxing. None of these work.

For me it is currently 1 in the morning and I have to get ready for school in five hours. I need help very badly!

I will not, however, take medicine or sleep-inducing pills. Thats the only thing I will not try.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Paralyzer

I love giving advice about sleeping XD..

Alright well, after you've finished up your homework and whatnot, you're ready to go to bed... follow these guidlines.. haha

Sleep is really just a mind game

-Make sure there is nothing distracting in your room that you can see at night, especially digital clocks. Digital clocks generally make you focus on what time it is and how badly you'd want to sleep than preparing your mind for actually sleeping.
    -Fans help because they provide a constant noise. This noise helps block out other things that may provoke thoughts that will keep you up. You don't necessarily have to have the fan pointed at you.
    -The hardest and most important part to sleeping is to let go of your thoughts. Since you seem to be struggling with your sleep, you have to learn how to control your will. Don't let a single thought invade your mind, you must have a solid empty mind... don't even think about not thinking. It's kind of like meditating. Let go of what your gf said.. your mother told you.. something some douche at school said to you.. w/e XD Just stop thinking.
    -Idk why, but for some reason, facing north helps people to fall asleep faster.. I read it somewhere AND I observed that it works for me so, I guess you could get a compass and rearange your room or something.. haha...

Really, the biggest thing is no digital clocks and no thinking..
    Hope it helps :slight_smile:

EDIT: V My account :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I used to have trouble sleeping but then I found advice from a lot of sources and stuff and I put it together... it worked for me.. I've gotten over my insomnia so I don't really have to worry about not thinking and such but you should follow those things I said to help teach your body how to sleep again x_x :slight_smile:

#2 Paralyzer, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  3. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The thing is, I empty my mind. I face north when I sleep. I have a clock that makes a loud tick-tock noise that used to be able to lull me to sleep. I am running out of options.

Whats strange is, that although I am more easily provoked and I am quieter when I am sleep-deprived, I don't feel sluggish at all. I am energetic. The only give away are dark rings around my eyes. Do I have a sleep disorder? Should I go to a school nurse or what?

4. Paralyzer

Honestly, I don't think they'll be much help. They'll probably just say you have a lot of stress or something and tell you to go to bed earlier.. I think you should seriously try the fan thing.. on a low setting so it feels like a breeze or something.

Also, I agree with you on the sleeping pills thing. I hate things that alter/manipulate human emotion/reactions

5. KaraBulut

When you say that you won't try medications or pills, would you be willing to try an homeopathic remedy like melatonin or a tea like Sleepy-Time?

6. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mean I won't try anything that will artificially induce sleep. That won't prevent the problem, it will just be covering it up. I can't afford something extremely expensive either. However, I am open to 'alternative medicine.'

7. Trumpetplyer23

Ever try burning inscence? It doesn't neccesarily put you to sleep, it helps relax the mind so your brain isn't running wild.