1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar / meds / will hormones make me crazy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by wocket, Mar 24, 2013.

1. wocket

wocket Guest

OK so
    I have mood disorder NOS

I get depressed but anti-depressants make me hypomanic or put me in a mixed episode

So I'm on these pills that I hate

But I don't think I'll cycle without them like I think I'll be fine

So I stopped taking them and I feel pretty OK maybe a bit sensitive to caffiene and excitable and then weepy at night again but like nothing diagnosably BAD just "mood liability" aka mood swings

But I'm worried if I ever go on T that I will "destabilise" since apparently I am a sensitive sally SO

Anyone with a cycling mood disorder (seasonal depression, bipolar, etc) who is on T? Any words of wisdom?

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

(My pdoc knows I went off my meds btw)
    (They made me gain a small amount of weight which unfotunately makes me look more WOMANLY which puts me in a shit mood like I'd rather be dysphoria free and depressed than constantly sick of my skin

Normal depression just reads as irritability and this feeling of emotional abandonment

I can deal with that)

2. SergeantRed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I not a psychiatrist but one thing I've learned from reading Psychology books is, personality disorders doesn't just go away, you just learned how to cope up with it. Just like pain and bad memories. It's like "extinction burst" when you're on a diet, you promise you won't eat something that will ruin your diet but eventually one way or another, you eat it. My point is, no excuses, get to know your disorder, yourself. HELP yourself. Talk to your family. Seek help. Be busy. Hang-out with other people. Remember "mind over matter". I believe all people suffer personality disorder some are just 0.1% some are 100%. Me, I know I'm weird and have some personality disorder but I'm coping up with it. Hope this helps, this is the first time I've given advice about this matter hehe goodluck. Cheers! :slight_smile:

3. wocket

wocket Guest

Bipolar disorder isn't a personality disorder, it is a hereditary, chemically based mood disorder.

I believe you thinking of borderline personality disorder, which is often confused with bipolar (by regular folk and professionals alike).

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 01:13 AM ----------

For example, a borerline individual who is not bipolar would most likely not go into a mixed hypomanic episode on an antidepressant. A bipolar individual put on antidepressants alone will most likely "switch" into some form of mania.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible that hormones could destabilize your mood, but not getting treated for dysphoria isn't a good option either.

What I'd recommend is to start keeping a mood diary. Record your ups and downs, what medication you're taking and when, and when you feel dysphoria as well. Then, once you've got a good baseline record, start taking hormones, while keeping up with the diary. That way, you can keep track of how the hormones are affecting your mood and your dysphoria, and decide if it's better with or without the hormones.