1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obsession and Anxiety with penis size

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Theagonist, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My penis is about 6.2 inches long and 5.1 inches around. I don't why but I'm constantly measuring it, I think I have about done it 3 times every day this week. I feel like I'm unadequetly small, though I know the average is like 5.3-5.8. I thought It was 6 1/2 for the longest time, but then I realized I was measureing it wrong. I'm gay, and I've read that gay guys tend to be bigger, and the (3) gay guys I've talked to about it were all about 6 1/2, and one said 8. And one bi gay said his was 5.5, but he's a mega creep and an adopted crack baby. So that makes me feel really small. And yesterday I read that the mode (most frequent) size Is 7 inches; I freaked out, had a huge anxiety attack, and felt like I was having a heart attack and dying - it was awful. But I read if on some forum, and everyone else said how he was wayyyyy wrong, and that the mode would be smaller than the average because the smallest size is capped, but the biggest ones can be long as the biggest number there, so the big ones bring up the average. I really want to be about 7 inches, I just feel kind of small. I wouldn't do any of those weird pills or surgeries, but I'm only 5'5" tall, so I can still grow, right? Assuming that my penis will grow with the rest of my body. And when I ever see a ruler, I just get this almost need to measure.. it's wierd
    I think It's that I'm just so insecure about EVERYTHING about myself, I have no self-esteem, or confidence. I just really want to be able to be good at something and brag about it, since I'm not actually good at anything and pretty much just a failure, my parents were fighting about why I'm such a failure the other not. Like I have terrible grades, I'm not an idiot, I'm actually really smart, I just don't try, or care, nor do I even take notes or study. I am terrible at math though; I'm failing Algebra I, a class I should of taken last year. I'm really good any social sciences, sociology, history, etc. I have a 96% in World History currently, and like I said I don't take notes or study. But I'm just an idiot, a failure, I play guitar, sing, write music, write poems but suck, and no one pays attention to my works. I really want a music career but it won't happen. I just get so insecure about everything, like I think I'm fat, but everyone else says I'm a stick (I weight 130, wanting to lose 8 pounds), I think I'm beyond ugly but everyone else says I'm very attractive.
    I dont have anyone to talk to about these things cause I have no friends, due to my attention seeking behaviors, and that no one wants to be associated with the "fag" (I go to a catholic school, though I'm Agnostic, and laugh at any personal "god". My parents hate and abuse me, mainly my mom. My dad cares more about my older brother who's an amazing athlete, and my younger sister who's also an amazing athlete; I play soccer, but I suck. And I easily get depressed and often have Suicidal thoughts, and me thinking I have a small penis just murders me. Why does this have to be so hard? Why do I have to have a small dick?!?!

2. BudderMC

I think you answered your own question.

Not to mention you already seem to know all the "penis size" related stuff, so I'm sure you also know you can't viably alter the size of it anyways. What you've got is what you've got, so you learn to live with it.

I think the more important question is if you aren't talking with your family or friends about these issues, have you considered talking to a counsellor/therapist? Obsessing over things is likely not something that's going to go away on it's own.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the most accurate and scientific pieces of research on this subject was carried out in Mexico behalf of LifeStyles condoms. Under the supervision of a doctor, four trained health professionals measured the erect penises of 300 men (who were mostly young Americans).

They found that the average length was 5.877 inches (14.93 centimetres) – far less than the figure which had been generally quoted in the past.

A review published in the British Journal of Urology in 2007 broadly confirmed this finding.

4. Ridiculous

Using information from other websites is fine, but if you're just going to copy and paste it, at least say where you got it from: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/penissize.htm
    You seem to do this a lot Dublin Boy.

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

A lot of guys tend to exaggerate their length, or they push their balls back and measure from the underside to make it seem as though they have an inch or two more.

It's unlikely that your friend with 8 inches actually has 8 inches, but if he does then he's just lucky. The majority of people have close to 6, so you're over the average. There's no reason to fret over such frivolous issues.

As for the growing part, yes, you'll still grow a LITTLE bit, but it wont change much from what you have currently.

All the best.

6. photoguy93

I'm a virgin, so I really don't have a ton of penis experience.....but from what I can take, you really need to be happy with what you have.

There are a lot of "size queens" - many, many guys will say "I want a big dick - only guys who are big can be with me..." blah blah blah. But here's the thing - most of those people are posting on sex sites.

If a guy is truly that interested in the size of your penis and that's it, then he's got a problem.

I'm not going to comment on much else, because it's not my place to try to get you to like what you have. However, I know you've posted a lot on here about your self confidence. If there is ANY way you can get to a therapist, you need to. Everything you are talking about can be changed - just try and get help!

7. Dalmatian

Soo.. basically the difference between what you have and what you'd want is 0.8". Have you tried drawing a 0.8" line on paper? Or assessing how much that is in any other way, say holding your fingers that much apart? Do you really think that makes so much difference?

Everything else you said is, it seems to me, far more important. You should see why you have such a need to get attention and to be able to brag. I agree that you seem smart. I don't agree you are bad at maths. The thing with math is that you need to think about it, not just be able to recite it back. But you understand the logic behind the differences of average and median; that's not a level a 16yo is expected to be at. So, you find that trivial to understand because it's something you are ready to think about. You are not bad at maths, I think..

8. KaraBulut

Out of curiosity, do you have any other thing that you feel compelled to do even though there's no logic reason to do it? Or is it just this measuring repetitive behavior?

9. AKTodd

So, just to offer a bit of perspective from personal experience here...

A long time ago, I was in a relationship with a guy who was quite well endowed. 8+ easy since you've been mentioning numbers. Visually he was really pretty impressive (also really muscular and hairy chested, which I like).

However, over time it became very apparent that he was also really only interested in his pleasure during sex. Not that he was hurting me or anything, but he was only interested in doing stuff that felt good for him, had little or no interest in returning the favor, and lost all interest in doing anything with or to me once he finished. I was considerably younger and more accommodating back then and it took a while for me to figure this out and then start to be bothered by it. The more so when it became clear that he had no real interest in changing things.

Eventually this led to tension in the relationship, fights and, ultimately, was a major contributing factor to that relationship ending.

The moral of this story is: Being extra big may impress a guy when you're naked with him the first time or three. It may even contribute to getting you naked with him in the first place sometimes. But it isn't going to get you very much further than that, particularly if you aren't a considerate lover or don't know (and have no interest in learning) what to do with what you've got. Something to think about.

Coming at this from a shorter and cruder direction:

If you're topping, you're going to feel just fine to the guy you're with, particularly if you have the presence of mind and learned skill to pay attention to (or ask) what he likes or reacts positively to and adjust your performance accordingly to maximize his pleasure.

If you're bottoming, how big you are isn't going to matter.

If you're getting oral, your size isn't going to matter to what you're feeling.

If you're giving oral, your size isn't going to matter at all.

Same as above for pretty much any other sex act I can think of. And if you're with a guy who actually thinks otherwise (and is going to let that negatively impact his time with you) then he's frankly not worth your time.

My 2c worth,

Todd

10. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's very, very irrational

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

Never thought about it like that ._.

11. Zaio

Zaio Guest

He's asking if you do other repetitive irrational behaviour, which I'm guessing he's hinting towards OCD. If it's just the penis thing though then you're safe.

All the best.

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or unlucky.

Think about it - if you're too big for the person, you'll hurt them when trying to penetrate them. I don't get why a big penis is considered such a good thing. I mean, if you have a smaller penis, you don't have to worry about being too big for someone.

On a related topic - ideas of what the ideal penis is like have, like other ideas of beauty, changed over time. The Ancient Romans didn't care about length, but they thought an ideal penis had a 'tapered' tip.

13. Zaio

Zaio Guest

It's due to how boys are raised socially to believe that masculinity is good and femininity is bad/unattractive. Somehow penis size got associated with masculinity, and that those with big penises are somehow more masculine than those with smaller ones.

It's a shame that people are raised this way, but if you're a girl then you just wont understand it, in the same way that men wont understand what being pregnant is like. A lot of guys tend to exaggerate their length because by "admitting" (as though it's a bad thing) their actual penis size, they feel that they're less masculine. Some men have actually started experiencing erectile dysfunction after having their penis size mocked as a joke in bed, even though it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Even momentary blows to a man's masculinity can leave him devastated for life. It's sad but true.

... Not that this is for everyone at all, but for the majority it is. It's similar to how being gay is seen as feminine and so people don't want to be gay, because they feel emasculated. I believe this is why (generally speaking) gays seem to be more okay with masculine issues, because after accepting themselves as gay, I suppose they accept that they aren't less masculine.

Just to note in case it isn't clear; I'm not saying femininity is bad. I'm saying that society raises males to believe that femininity is bad, or rather, unwanted/less desirable.

However, I do agree with you, a big dick is just painful in the wrong hands (pun intended). I think it's stereotypically associated as wanted for heterosexuals, because it's supposedly easier to reach sweet spots, but for guys, that's a different matter, as the supposed speed spot (the prostate) isn't far in at all. Obviously this is different for everyone, so some would prefer a big dick, but I'm pretty sure most would prefer an average dick while bottoming. Or rather, they don't care as long as the guy knows how to use it :lol:

All the best.

14. photoguy93

Girls do understand a big part of it because they have breasts. I think it's a bigger (haha) problem for them because we just can't parade around with our dicks out. But a girl can't really hide her breasts.....

I don't relate size to masculinity for myself. I just look at it as a sexual thing. Sure, a GIANT dick isn't the most fun. But "big" is relative. But what do I know.

15. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I used to constantly have the line "Satan is bad and evil, he really is" go throughout m head when I was in 6th-7th grade, it stopped but came back last year and early this year, but has stopped again... there was another line the did the same, but I can't remember. Also, I do have a hatred for anything asymmetrical, or something that just shouldn't be, or something dirty... and I must fix it or I just can't function. I'm sure I do other weird stuff too...

16. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

You sound like you have OCD to me. I do the same stuff and I was told I have OCD as well.

17. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah, that asymmetry thing is typical OCD behaviour. You seem to have very compulsive thoughts about your own appearance and refuse to believe others no matter what they say as well.

Of course we cant diagnose over EC though, but it may be worth getting checked out to be safe.

While this is true, I think that very reason adds to why it's more devastating for males. Because guys don't go around with their dicks hanging out, it's only the odd occasion that someone else will see it, and for that moment they make themselves very vulnerable, and there's often some anxiety with it as well, which if met with criticism can be pretty harsh. I think because girls go around with their boobs bulges in sight, it's seen as much less taboo, and so is generally accepted, and criticism is less common. On top of that, breast size isn't really associated with femininity socially, and a lot of girls don't really care about how feminine they are. I think masculinity is generally more unstable and taboo in some aspects.

All the best.

#17 Zaio, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  18. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're fine, your penis is actually a pretty good size. Also, chances are the guy you were talking to who said he's 8" could be lying. Many guys lie about their size and note that bigger isn't always better, believe me.

19. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

I honestly think the issue here isn't your penis size (not super experienced in penises but) it is your belief in yourself that is the issue and that really hard… believe me I have been there. I went through a short phase that I was really really worried about my penis size (like a lot) but I refused to measure it because I didn’t want number to hurt myself with, because in my mind number and labels and names can get really dangerous and I think we all know this. Weight, for example, is just a number every person has in the back of their mind as a form of identity (I am ___lbs.) but it’ totally relative to height and body mass index. I think this is the same because you don’t need a number; you need a relationship or good sex life, and that isn’t contingent on a size bracket or average. Really how different is 6.2 from 6.5?
    Not hardly different at all.
    So why sweat it? What you need to focus on is building yourself up and working on you. That’s what I’ve had to do. And if you want to sing then sing, but don’t do it for gratification, do it because it’s what you truly want. I started my year with a choir teacher who hated me but I had to decide if I love singing more than I hated being ridiculed by this mindless harpy. Singing won out. So you need to seek internal approval and satisfaction. Be happy with your penis no matter the shape or size because it’s a part of you and that’s someone you’re proud to be.

20. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get that either, but many girls probably would.