1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Hair Removal

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jerr, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jerr

I'm getting it done on my chest and abs.

I've gotten some money and so I looked into it Thursday and went in for a free consultation today and will start my first session Thursday.

It's going to cost me a little under $1,400 for 5 sessions and if I do those within a year I get 2 sessions free. (To be completed within 6 months... and they will be.) After the 6 months, each session will be 50% off. (On the part of the body you got the work done on.

5 sessions is average for how many was needed for best results. The lady who I talked to says 5-7 is all you will need.

The way it works is the laser is attracted to the darker pigment. (Dark hair) So the lighter your skin and the darker your hair the more effective it will be. You shave the night before because it kills it during the growing stage. Sense different hairs grow at different time, you have 5 sessions to make sure you get them all.

I'm quite white and my hair is quite black/brownish. So, I'm good.

Two weeks before and two weeks after I have to use SPF 30 or greater sun screen on my chest and abs or keep a shirt on.

The reason for this is two weeks before we are trying to keep me as light as possible so the laser is more effective.

Two weeks after, your skin is still sensitive.

As far as pain, she said you feel the pulse then you feel the next pulse... and the next... but after you feel it you don't feel it again. Like when you're on your second, you don't feel the first. An hour prior to the procedure, I'll be up there and a nurse will put a cool numbing cream on my chest/stomach. I buy that and after the first time I'm allowed to put it on myself then come. It takes an hour to fully kick in.

I'll go in at 8:45 am Thursday and get the stuff put on me then at 10:00 am we will begin and it takes 45-hour for the chest/abs area. (One of the longer times.)

I'm excited.

I've had reactions from friends ranging from thats neat to "WHAT? Honey, no!"

Also had everyone tell me that hair isn't bad. Hair is sexy/natural. blah!

I want everyone to understand... I'm doing this because I DON'T LIKE HAIR ON MY CHEST AND STOMACH. I don't give a flying :***: what you like or don't like. It isn't about you. It's about me and what I want for myself.

2. biisme

well, i hope it goes well!!!!!

3. Jerr

Same. I'm kind of nervous...

If anyone has any questions... feel free. I'll have more personal experience related answers after Thursday. I'll tell you how it feels and such.

If I don't know the answers, I'll explain to the lady who helped me that I get on an online forum and am telling of my experience and would ask for her to give me more information and answer my questions so I can better inform others.

4. sexyalex

i am black and i got NO hair absaloutly non on my chest or tummy....i am cursed i tlel u CURSED! :tantrum:

however, i shave my privates constantly so i would do the surgry there and i plan to do it on my chin when i grow up cuz i hate shaving my chin, i get seirous break outs after :dry: i think i am allergic to razor there....cuz i use the same substance on my legs and arms and those turn out fine....

what ya'll think? lolz

5. pwnorton

EXACTLY!!!!! Good for you!

6. sexyalex

lol?.....how did i miss that part?:sleep:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How long does this laser treatment last? Is it permanent? Or do you have to go back in a few months or years to have it done again?

8. davo-man

Good on you for getting it done. As I was reading it, I have to admit I was thinking that hair is sexy and all that, but as I was reading through your post (esp the last part...kinda like a kick to the brain it was hehe) I really thought: It is your body and you should damn well have it how the hell you want it. So good on you!

9. KaraBulut

People that I have known who have had it done described the sensation as being like a rubber band popped against the skin. It stings but it's not terribly painful.

All of the friends who had it done were happy with the result. However they were very hairy- especially on their neck and back. They did it primarily because they were tired of shaving and waxing.

The only thing that I would caution you on is your age. Most guys get more body hair in their 20s. If the other men in your family have lots of hair on their chest and back, you may end up needing additional laser treatments in a few years.

10. Jerr

Thank you.

Thank you again. I mean I believe one is allowed to get tattoos... why can't I be hairless where I want?

Permanent. It kills the hair while it is in the active growing stage. Sense your hair goes into that stage at different times, you do multiple sessions. 5-7 works the best.

I've got more hair on my chest/stomach then my father does now. haha. If, for some reason, I grow more hair then additional sessions are 50% off. Also, there isn't much room that doesn't have hair on it... now I realize getting towards my sides the hairs get lighter so the laser wont be as effective but with 7 treatments I should get the vast majority of those hairs as well.

11. Jerr

I went threw my first session on Thursday morning. Went to work later on that day. Perfectly fine.

I do have to say if you hate being cold then this might be an issue for you...

I get there at around 8:45 am (my appointment time.)

They show me to a room and show me how to rub the numbing gel stuff on. (It has eucalyptus in it so brr...)

So I do that all over my chest and tummy then I gotta chill for an hour... So I do!

Then I go into a small ish room. well about 12ft-12ft or so. It has two normal size vents in it to freeze it...

Then I get Ultrasound gel put all over the area... uh brr. Sorry for you ladies haven to do that to see the baby...

The laser has a tube on it that blows out cold air constantly. Yes, you are meant to be frozen...

The whole point is to keep the skin cold and burn the hair.

As for pain, feels like small small burns... like a hit rubber band hitting a VERY small part of you. They say it hurts more then getting a tattoo. Biggest difference? The pain is GONE the second she moves the laser to a different part of your skin. The pain is instantaneous and then no mas.

My skin was red afterwords which is common. Little bumps formed which is also common. (They left within 4 hours.)

I'm not allowed to have a hot hot shower for 3 days. (The skin is sensitive.)

That's about it. After I got it done I went to Krispy Kream (Which is right down the street from that place) and got me some num nums!

After 10 weeks I'll go back for another treatment then another and so on for 7 treatments.

12. divadarya

Jerr...
    It hurts like hell for a few seconds and works just great. I had a heavy dark beard and most of it is now gone(4ever..but I'm taking female hormones too) after five sessions. My friend John did it and he's very happy about it.

13. Grof142007

wow im glad i dont really grow alot of hair

14. Jerr

I have a really high pain tolerance so I didn't think it hurt bad at all but it did hurt. I was going off of what the lady told me.

15. tehnathan

I'm not going to disagree or judge (it's not my place)...

I dislike it on myself too (though I don't have a lot) but I don't particularly care that much to get it removed.

16. total mo

total mo Guest

Good for you! I also don't like hair very much. I just don't find it sexy. It reminds me of our ape ancestors.

How long does the procedure take? I want to get my privates done, but I don't think I have the time. I am not gifted patiently. You said it's going to take 5 sessions or more, what about if the person justs wait for all of the hair to grow, and then have the laser? You said the skin would be super sensitive after the treatment, kinda like getting a tattoo. Did your skin bleed during the process, and are you allowed to put on some sort of skin cream on the area, like what the kind of medecine you put on a tattoo? How long does it take for the pain, or the redness to subside?

17. Jerr

Soooo, I went for my second treatment and I have new advice for all of you... Do not be stingy with the topical... (The stuff that numbs you.) Put a healthy amount on there. I let my friend put it on me and she was very stingy about it and it caused me to feel a lot more of the pain. I still was able to carry on a conversation with the lady lasering me but I still was hurting more then the time before.

I asked about adding a small bit of my bikini area into it. She let me get that in for free. It is between my hips. Where your hips start is the bikini area... I want in between my hips because that is where I want my tattoo to go next year.

I'm pretty excited to see how much hair I lose off of this treatment.

Feel free to ask any questions. I can email my consultant with them and copy/paste her answers onto here.

Mine takes 30 minutes to an hour. I'm getting a large area done though. For a bikini it would take less time. I can get an estimate if you wish. I know it takes an hour for the topical stuff to kick in. (That is the numbing stuff you put on before.) Then you have the procedure.

They will but request you not schedule another treatment within 10 weeks. Between treatments you are allowed to shave all you want. (Don't wax though. If the hair isn't there, it can't be lasered.)

My skin didn't bleed. I don't believe that happens. I know for a fact it doesn't to me! haha. They offer to put on some... god, I forgot what it is... alovera? I think thats what it is. I didn't though. You probably could. The only thing they really advise against is any friction on it and hot water for 3 days. After that you start doing the whole... rub little circles on it gently. (exfo.... something.)

Pain is gone once the laser is moved from that location. You will feel the weird feeling of going from having your skin EXTREMELY COLD to normal temperature... but that is just an awkward/weird feeling not pain. Redness should be gone by the next day or so. (It was for me.)

#17 Jerr, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  18. Emberstone

cant afford it, but if I could, I would.

my one question, since I see people talking about it, is can you really have it done in your genital regions? I used to shave, but i hate when the hair started to grow back in, and it was so itchy. so i gave up on shaving, and honestly, if I had the money, that is probably what i would want to do. though i might be giggly about applying the cooling creme.

atleast you can say "dont take it at first glance, this is a fairly cold room you know.

19. KaraBulut

Well, it depends on exactly where in the genital regions.

It often done on pubic hair in the on women and around the penis on men (generally referred to as laser of the "bikini area" or "pubic mound") . It would probably take 3-4 sessions and it would cost around $500 - $1000 to do- depending on how much of the area you wanted done.

It is possible to have laser hair removal from the scrotum and penis but you would need to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who offers pulsed laser. Some men have more pigment on their genitals than they have on the rest of their skin. You may not be able to have the area lasered if it is pigmented since the laser will interact with pigment in the skin.

The scrotum and penis are more sensitive than other areas, so this would be a more painful area to have done.

20. Beebo

I know this question is ridiculous.... but is there any way to just reduce the amount of hair that I have? I have hairy legs, but I don't want bald legs.