1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birth Control?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jackram, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jackram

How do I get birth control? Is it something you can just walk into a store and buy, or do you need a prescription?

I really want to take birth control. I know that if someone takes it all 4 weeks of the month, it will stop the period from happening, and this is the main reason that I really want to get birth control.

Also, although I'm not sexually active yet, I probably will be soon enough, and I want to be prepared because the last thing I want is to get an STI or pregnant and whatnot. ._.

The problem is that my parents refuse to let me take birth control because they think it will mess up my ovaries (little do they know that I'm getting those taken out as soon as I have the money and am 18).

2. SpectreStatus

I can't comment on where you can buy it where you're from. But in the uk you can't get it without a doctors prescription.

I really do recommend you see a doctor and get some advice before you get it though. There's so many types it can be a bit confusing.
    There's pills, injections, implants.

You need to get advice about what's best for you and will suit you well. I decided I wanted an implant... But after a some advice, I decided the p-o-p pill was the one for me.

I got it because I was in a relationship with a boy (and thinking I was still bi at the time)... And I've stayed on it because my periods happen like once every 3 months or so. And when they do its basically nothing. I've been on it nearly a year and I reckon they'll probably go completely after time.

There's loads of side effects with pills. For instance with mine there's a big risk of blood clots. So if you have high blood pressure it's a no no.

So visit your doctor... Have a chat and decide what's best for you. It's never a good idea to start taking something new without permission from a dr.

3. Shorka

Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely talk to a doctor. Not menstruating can really mess with your hormone levels so you need a doctor to sort things out with. Also, in the US, I know you need a prescription for the pill and a doctor to do any kind of reliable implant or injection.

4. Femmeme

Jack, you need a perscription for hormonal birth control. It does have side effects, one you might find troubling is temporary increase in breast size. Also it DOES NOT protect you from STIs, not even a little bit. If you are uncomfortable talking to your family Dr about it I suggest going to your local Planned Parenthood clinic and being open with the Dr about being Trans* and why you are interested in BC. That way they can steer you towards a pill that's less likely cause side effects that could increase your disphoria. You'll have to pay out of pocket on a sliding scale, but that means your parents won't be recieving a bill or an insurance statement.

5. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

You have to talk to your doctor and get referred to a gyno (OBGYN). They are the ones that really know more about it and what's right for you. I am on Mirena (which is an IUD) and I love it. You bleed the first month or two, but then you basically don't bleed again. I've had it 6 months now and I haven't bled since I got it. You can keep it in up to 5 years, which may sound gross but it's safe. It's convenient and helps prevent pregnancy and periods. WOOT! :slight_smile: Good luck!!