1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long until fillings are suppose to be replaced?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex94, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

The title says it all.

2. alwayshope11

I don't think they do replace them..I always thought they were permenent

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Well I was only asking cause I went to the dentist the other day and they told me my two front teeth on top's fillings were "loose" and needed to be replaced. I have only had them for 2 years and I have heard they are only suppose to be replaced every 5-7 years so I feel like this is real bad like I did something wrong? I dunno, they told me I have to have them redone cause when they went to floss my teeth after the cleaning the floss went right under one of the fillings...I just feel terrible I don't know, was kind of hoping that this was "normal" or something... :/

4. Wolfie Charm

They come out/wear away. I have a feeling if I go back to the dentist I’ll be told I need my filling replaced too. It’s almost gone.

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Oh..But isn't 2 years kind of soon though? This is the first time I have ever gotten fillings, up until 2 years ago I had never even been to the dentist so I have about 14 fillings now, sadly. :frowning2: I was to afraid to go and now my teeth have suffered.

6. Wolfie Charm

I have no idea on that part. I cannot remember when I got mine.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Alright, well at least I know that it's normal for them to be replaced lol. Now I shall just ask them how often they are suppose to.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my understanding is that amalgam fillings (the metal ones) aren't really glued in and are sort of wedged into a space the dentist makes. So they can come loose. If they don't, they seem to last a long time.

The composite (plastic, tooth colored) ones attach to the tooth, but don't last as long and chip or break.

9. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Yeah I have the composite ones, especially sense they are on my front teeth lol.

10. KaraBulut

There's no set rule on when fillings must be replaced. It's based either upon inspection of the filling during a dental exam or when the filling comes loose on its own.

Usually composite fillings in the front teeth are replaced when they get discolored or when they fail. Fillings in the back are more likely to fail because of the pressure placed upon them by chewing and grinding during eating. Amalgam fillings are sensitive to temperature changes and tend to be more stressed by eating cold or hot foods.

#10 KaraBulut, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My bro tried to say it's cause I drink soda, but I dont that much.