1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anal sex/family history of colorectal problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yidnah87, Mar 30, 2013.

1. yidnah87

Hello all,

I am a guy that occasionally participates in receptive anal sex. Though this is already a high risk activity, I feel that it could be more so due to the fact that I have a family history of colorectal problems. My grandfather had a battle with colon cancer and my sister developed colitis around the time she was 18.

I do practice safe sex, using condoms and lubrication each time. My bowel movements are fairly regular. I have gotten tested (negative) fairly recently for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia; though not for HPV or herpes. Therefore I only had blood and urine tests, and nothing like an anal pap smear.

Is this a topic that I should bring up with my doctor even though I'm only 25? Should I get tested for HPV or herpes as well?

2. alwayshope11

I don't think anal sex is a risk factor for colon problems...and they don't really do anal Pap smears yet

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

Nor have an available test for hpv

3. alwayshope11

Is that correct, that its not a risk factor?

4. KaraBulut

As someone who is sexually active and not in a monogamous relationship, you should have testing for all STDs.

There's not really a reliable test for HSV and HPV. Diagnosis is based upon a visual exam and the patient's self-reported symptoms.

5. alwayshope11

I spoke to my gp and she didnt think hpv was a cause of colon cancer, but did not seem too sure...I have a family history as well, so am nervous about the risk there of analnsex, like you stated....sucks when we can't control things :frowning2:

6. alwayshope11

Actually, could HPV even get into your colon? Through anal sex.

7. Zontar

I don't believe you need to adjust your sexual routine. Wear condoms like everyone else, always.

However, if you have a severe family history of colorectal cancer, I would suggest you ask your doctor if starting an earlier colonoscopy screening routine is appropriate. I think most people start at 40 so in your case maybe it'd be appropriate to start even earlier. With this knowledge and precautionary measure, you can vigilantly stop cancer before it happens, keep your colon, and by extension your sex life...