1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipped my tooth...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anthonythegamer, Mar 31, 2013.

1. I was at a steakhouse a couple of hours ago and when I bit a piece of meat off, I bit the fork by accident. Now, there's a slightly obvious small notch between two of my bottom front teeth. Should I have it fixed? If I should, would the procedure hurt?

2. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it bothers you, or you are bothered by the look, then by all means, have it fixed. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you do have it fixed, I think the most common method now is to fill the spot with a resin, and it's pretty close to normal tooth color. It's the same thing used for teeth fillings.
    And no, it doesn't hurt, and it doesn't take long to do.

3. June Cleaver

Correct, no drilling! If you don't get it fixed the tooth will decay and may crack. I chiped my front tooth and my dentist fixed it in 5 min and it has been fine every since. June

4. MusicIsLife

I chipped my tooth once and they simply filed it down. If you have that done it hurts but its not unbearable. I dont know about having it filled in, i suspect it wont be painful.

5. redstormrising

the dentist can fill it in with bonding material. it doesn't hurt.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've chipped a couple teeth (one two years ago, the other more recent) and haven't had them fixed, and they haven't decayed at all.

Not saying it doesn't increase the risk, but it's no guarantee it'll decay.

7. 6ix

6ix

Yeah the procedure is simple and not painful at all. One of my front teeth is almost entirely fake and you can't tell. I've had the filling for almost 10 years with no issues, though I am going to get it replaced this year.

8. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go to the dentist. Better to be safe than sorry. I just had to get a root canal on one of upper canines yesterday because I chipped it over a year ago and didn't do anything about it. That let the bacteria in that ended up killing the nerve. (For the record, the root canal didn't hurt, but the pain from the infection was awful. 7.5 on a scale of 10.)

It could be even more expensive if my body doesn't take care of the residual infection in my gums. (The dentists couldn't get up to that part because my tooth had calcified quite a bit on the inside.) Much cheaper for your parents to look at it now than have to possibly get a root canal and crown later. Your dentist will probably just look at them and decide that there isn't any real issue with it. Again, better to be safe than sorry. Anything he does should be completely painless. I know some people hate it, but I actually enjoy going to the dentist. (I just don't enjoy paying for it.)