1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you consider this to be an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bent, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had body image issues for as long as I can remember. I've never been comfortable with my weight, to the point that around 9+ I quit swimming (we even have a pool at my house) and made up that I have a fear of water to justify the fact of why I wouldn't go to the beach when on vacation, pool with friends etc.

I'm 6'1 and currently 155 pounds, but working towards like 130. I play sports all the time, so activity or something isn't my issue.

I started using an app on my phone called My Fitness Pal about 6-8 months ago, and it suggested that I eat like 1820 calories per day (plus exercise calories which I don't use). I have since dropped that calorie count down to 1300, but do my best to stay under 1000 a day.

One of my friends commented on the fact that I'm never eating, when I should be since I'm often with other 16-17 year old very active guys. He said that I probably have some kind of eating disorder or something, but I'm not so sure.

I still like eating good food and stuff, it's not like I dislike eating or something. My issue is that when I do eat something I like I feel horrible about myself for it etc. To have a disorder or something don't you have to not like eating, since I still like food isn't it not really that big of a deal?

Do you think this is an issue or is this pretty normal for people trying to lose weight?

Thanks!

#1 Bent, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Wolfie Charm

130 seems light for being that tall. I’m 5'10" and 139-140, which I get hassled over. Even my doctor the other day called me thin. From those I know that have to diet they have better results eating healthy snacks throughout the day. Snacking, basically, but still having their meals.

You don't have to not like eating to have a disorder. Even anorexics like eating. (Me for a little while and even now. I just don’t want to eat, but I still love food.)

I’m not labeling you as having one or not, I’ll leave that question for someone who has more knowledge.

#2 Wolfie Charm, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, thanks for the input.
    I don't want to eat more as a contest with myself, like how long can I go being hungry before giving in and eating something. If you know what I mean by that.

4. Wolfie Charm

I do get that. Well if you mean you do not plan to see when you collapse of hunger. But that can still vary. Any kind of dieting, (needed, not needed, intentional, unintentional), carries risks if it is not done proper. I’ve never thought of myself as needing one so I’m outta my element for that.

5. Ridiculous

Challenging yourself to consume less and feeling guilty or bad after eating are classic symptoms of eating disorders - anorexia in particular.

You're unnecessarily changing your diet because of your perceived body image, so I'd say you definitely have a disorder.

6. Convoy

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmi%20calc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

130 appears to be underweight for your body height/weight, eating under 1000 cal's a day isn't really good for you either. I understand that weight can shed during heavy training however starving/inactivity isn't good for your body.

If you are doing this compulsorily and since you appear to not like eating (Even though you enjoy the food) it does seem a bit odd to me.

If anything thinking about food in a negative manner could be shaping your views on it in the current, making you not eat as much as appropriate. I'd consider that a disorder, not that that you should feel bad about that, but it is altering your diet for reasons other than appropriate intake/hunger.

I've starved myself in the past, mainly out of depression that made me indifferent to my life and health; it's worth getting under control. You shouldn't let your body image control your eating habits or anything else for that matter (Within reason, you aren't severely overweight/underweight and appear normal), it's not good for yourself.

7. KaraBulut

The combination of body image issues, unrealistic goals, obsession with dieting/food and your friends' concerns are all signs of an eating disorder.

It's something that you need to talk with your doctor or your school counselor about. Now.

8. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay thanks for the input guys... Since I'm not skinny would I not really have a problem though? Everything health teachers etc. say is that anorexia is being way too skinny, which I'm not? Sorry I'm just confused about it. Thanks again!

9. Wolfie Charm

It's a behavior thing at…I can’t say the word without the filter lol. At the beginning! I noticed when my issue started it was slightly a conscious thing and now I have to be reminded to eat some days because it is automatic. I make myself eat at a set time when I feel like ignoring food. And I snack often.

10. Mrcake

I would call this anorexia because anorexia can mean that you don't eat enough or starve yourself. At your current height, you should probably be about 170-200 pounds. I would get up to 180. You may want to go to a doctor and get your percent body fat calculated. You are definitely not fat! And swimming is very fun, I encourage you to try it.

11. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol thanks Mrcake, but skinny is definitely the last thing I would use to describe myself. I'm pretty sure a trip to the doctor would reveal much higher body fat than I want to see on paper, so I'll probably have to opt out of that one!
    I don't really want to talk to my parents or anything about it because they'll just think I'm nuts or something.

Thanks for the help!

12. Wolfie Charm

Just take up sports or exercising and stuff. You don’t have to alter your eating habits, unless you eat junk food. If that's the case switch to healthier. Items It's safer for you. You don’t want to make yourself anemic or anything like that. Being anemic sucks!!

13. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't even going to post, but this caught my eye.

Like someone said above, this is a classic symptom of an eating disorder. Eating disorders tend to be closely associated with a feeling of powerlessness; the food obsessions emerge as a way to regain that absent feeling of power. People who suffer from eating disorders often also suffer from OCD.

Also, don't let the fact that you're not bone thin stop you from seeking help. Your negative body image has already started interfering with your life - you gave up swimming because of it. Remember that the psychological effects of an eating disorders are just as dangerous as the physical ones. Probably more dangerous, actually.

So yeah. Hope that helps at all.

14. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol I'd ramp up my exercise if I could! I already play tennis at the very minimum of 3-4 hours per day. Yes I know "tennis isn't a real sport" but when you're playing it with a lot of intensity and being forced to run sprints by coaches all the time it sure is!

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

Thanks for the post, sorry but what do you mean by "absent feeling of power?" So this is because of something else bad going on in my life and this is basically just compensating for it you're thinking? Sorry, just trying to clarify.

15. Wolfie Charm

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who says tennis is not a real sport?! It so is and anyone who says otherwise has never played. That’s a lot of conditioning, just as much as lacrosse(maybe more)! That’s enough to make me say scratch my suggestion and change it to just keep up with the exercise.

16. AAASAS

155 lbs seems skinny for your height dude.

I am 150 lbs at 5'8 and am a toothpick. Currently am trying to GAIN WEIGHT.

Don't know why you'd want to lose it, especially if that is an unhealthy weight for your height. If you are 5 inches taller than me and only 5 pounds heavier, there definitely is some body image issues with you, because I feel too skinny, and you are skinnier for your height than I am for mine.

I've been told by my doctor that my weight was unhealthy for my height, and have read articles on the topic and again my weight is nearly unhealthy for my height.

So your weight certainly is unhealthy, unless you have the frailest bone structure.

Even a female at your height would be considered underweight.(Men are supposed to weigh more than girls)

Under 2,000 calories a day at your age and height also is unhealthy.

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anorexia isn't about not liking to eat. (If you weren't eating because you didn't like to eat, that would be more likely a medical than a psychological issue.) Anorexia is about feeling bad about yourself when you eat.

18. Mrcake

There is no way in Hell that you are fat and 150 pounds at your height, sorry. And 3-4 hours of tennis a day, and you still only eat that amount of calories!??! Come on Bent, think of how this is effecting you psychologically. First of all, you feel like you cannot swim because you think you are fat --- the definition of a disorder is that it only becomes a problem when it effects your life, which it is. So please do go to a doctor\psychologist and get some help before you end up hurting yourself :icon_sad:.

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

I want feeding first of all...won't let me correct it for some reason. So it is just first of all *

19. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No prob. I can't tell you exactly what it feels like or what causes it because I've never had an eating disorder. It could be something going on in your life or it could be something going on inside your own head. I heard one story about a girl whose battle with anorexia started when her parents went through a nasty divorce; in all the chaos and instability, monitoring what she ate gave her a sense of calm. She said something along the lines of "no matter what happened, nobody could make me eat." But not all examples are going to be as obvious as that, of course.

Sometimes it's not about an event or outside stress at all, but an inner sense of lack of control. I'll talk about OCD as an example here because I've read a little about it. People think that OCD is all about straightening pencils and washing hands, but it's so much different. What happens with OCD is people have thoughts they can't control. They might worry constantly about horrific accidents, catching diseases, or acting on violent impulses. Some people have OCD that's based on homosexual thoughts or desires that they think are "unclean" yet can't stop. So to distract themselves from these unnerving thoughts, these people develop little rituals or actions to drive the thoughts away - picking skin, checking locks, washing hands... or counting calories and depriving themselves of food.

That's my unqualified knowledge of the subject. You might want to do some research yourself, 'cause I'm no expert. :/ But I hope that clarifies something at the very least.

20. KaraBulut

See- this is why eating disorders are such a problem. Everyone thinks it's about the food. It's not- it's about distortion in self-image and body image. No matter how many people tell them that they're not fat and if anything, they're underweight, they still insist that they are fat and that they don't have a problem.

And that's what is happening here.

The advice that you've been given in the thread is appropriate- that you need to talk to your doctor or a therapist about this. You've chosen not to accept that advice, so I'm going to close the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.