1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to workout

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RedLight, Apr 7, 2013.

1. RedLight

Alright, well I've always liked the saying "never leave for tomorrow what you can do today." (Even though I've never executed it myself.) So when I was walking to rehersal yesterday and I noticed I couldn't breathe properly after ONE block, I decided it was time to start getting in shape.

I'm 5'3" and I weigh 91 pounds, so weight loss is NOT what I'm looking for. What I AM looking for is some advice: First I found a god routine that'll work for me, and I'm working on fining time to keep up with it, so now I need the right shoes and the right clothes, but I don't have the money right now; so, since I want to start off tomorrow, instead of putting it off, I just wanted to ask all of you runners, joggers, walkers & health enthusiasts if it's alright to workout on my bare feet? Will it hurt? What can I do to prevent pain? etc...etc...

Also if you have any advice on how to breathe while wprking out, or how to start a better diet, that would be helpful too. Thanks a bunch, I really need this, you know...feeling good from the inside out and all. :thumbsup:

2. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Hi! Well, are you working out with weights/machines and running or just running? I'm not much of a runner myself but I thought I'd chime in with some general advice.

Background, I'm 5'7'' and 120 lbs so I am also someone who fears weight loss and am looking to add weight.

That is good you found a good routine. That is the first step. The other important step is diet. Generally, for gaining you want to start pushing how much you are in-taking. I have high metabolism and this is something I still struggle with. Add a lot of good carbs to your diet, and plenty of veggies and healthy protein (my favorite is chicken and fish!) I usually also drink protein shakes to help me get some extra calories in me.

As far as shoes, I would suggest wearing proper shoes for exercise. If you are running outside, especially. You never know what will be on the ground when you step on it-glass metal, even rocks can hurt. I don't think there are any serious health risks outside of cutting yourself as long as you clean your feet and all. Generally, your feet will eventually callus if you go barefoot long enough. This would eventually help reduce pain as the skin will be tougher.

Breathing is important. General rule of thumb is to exhale when you "push" or do the exercise and to take in air when you are are retracting, resetting to the starting position of the exercise.

For example on bench press: breathe out when you push the bar up, breathe in on the way down. Repeat.

Hope this helps get you started!

3. RedLight

Thank you so much. I'm starting off easy because I don't want to over board and then instead of more energy, I'll have less energy. So thank you, I need a better diet, I'm just very new to the health world, more than I am to the Gay world.

4. Mrcake

You can workout in your bare feet, in fact, it is good to do that! The only concern is if you are working out at a gym, you wouldn't really want to touch sweaty/ sweated on equipment with bear feet - you could get fungal/body bacteria on yourself. As for breathing when working out, that is a heart issue. Your heart may not be conditioned properly for rigorous running yet. Try starting your cardio workouts on slower speed with increasing incline. Try every day to slowly increase the incline, and your heart will eventually get stronger - remember, the heart is a muscle. And any muscle when worked out regularly, becomes conditioned over time. Hope this helps!
    -Mrcake

5. nkwacky

nkwacky Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work out too for gaining wait. I used to be a 97 pound weakling.
    I started off with an easy gym routine and slowly worked out more.
    You can work out with bare feet. I go to my office gym, and every once in a while I work out wearing trousers. Lol. Don't delay it by making excuses of working out tomorrow cause you don't have shoes today.
    You can join the gym with a friend to keep you motivated.
    And remember, work out regularly. Don't let your body go soft!:thumbsup: