1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety Disorder..help?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Maunglwin, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Maunglwin

Hey everyone,

I've been struggling with anxiety for a couple of year now....I act like two different ppl between school & home...I'm closed off when I'm at home & become a person I think my asian, traditional parents would want. Im very open & myself around my friends. I used to be in the back of the classroom in school & never talk...but Ive been trying to break that shell. I hate the idea of being misunderstood by others & I overthink a lot. I hate presentations & would even sweat sometimes which can b embarassing. I have this big presentation coming up where I have to talk in front of class for 10min & it's scaring the crap out of me.
    Im diagnosed with anxiety disorder & I just wanna know if there's anyone else out there who's going to high anxiety(anxiety disorder) like me. If u hav any suggestions or tips, plz lemme know also.
    Thanks so much <3

#1 Maunglwin, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. BornInTexas

I have a mild anxiety disorder as well. If you find yourself thinking about stuff like that, get distracted. Read a book. Play a video game. Just think of other stuff. Try bursting out of your comfort zone a little, too.

#2 BornInTexas, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Relaxation Techniques can help, because I suffer from Panic Attacks I breath into a paper bag to control my breathing, I have been told that Yoga could help, though I have never tried :slight_smile:

4. JPC

JPC Guest

I get real bad anxiety when it comes to things like presentations. I'm generally a pretty shy person anyway so I feel completely uncomfortable with them. I had to do one just before Christmas for fifteen minutes in a different language and I was so nervous I almost didn't go.
    Once you start, it's kind of terrifying for the first minute or so but then you kind of forget that there's so many people in front of you. It's really not as bad as you expect it to be, actually you almost get a buzz from it once you hit your rhythm.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Someone once told me that if you imagine that the people you are giving the presentation to are all naked, that it actually calms your nerves :slight_smile:

6. Maunglwin

Omg, tht might make things worse lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 7th Apr 2013 at 03:57 PM ----------

I hope tht'll happen to me too. My problem is the whole time, I would be telling myself not to mess up. and if I did then things would go downhill >_< but it's great to hear now tht Im not alone going through anxiety disorder...thnks guys :slight_smile:)

7. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    meditation helps

8. photoguy93

Ahhh! You've come to the right place. I have Panic Disorder and have been dealing with anxiety for my whole life. I have true, really intense problems with it. But, there's hope! Truly.....I still have my moments, but therapy and some personal evaluation have really, really helped me. It's always possible to get help....it just takes time, patience, and support.

9. Maunglwin

Thnks so much for ur support <3

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    public speaking was a killer for me, i would sweat, clam up, blush and everything

it may not be that bad for you though.. if you plan your talk well, make it snappy and interesting it might just carry you through and you will feel more confident once you are at the other side

one way to get through a public talk is not try to rehearse every word... just keep a list of headings/ bullet points and speak naturally from the heart

sometimes a visual (on th whiteboard, or a projector) will take the focus off you a bit to make it less intense

If this is a more serious long term problem that you want to fix .. then you could do with some help. I know how debilitating it can be. I have had the diagnosis...

a doctor may point you towards some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to train yourself to think differently

hope it goes well.. let us know???