1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top or Bottom?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayforGuys, Apr 10, 2013.

1. GayforGuys

Something I've been wondering about lately is if you decide to be a top, bottom or versatile. Or if you just know, I guess.
    As strange as it may sound, it's a genuine thought.

I've messed around with guys before, but haven't went all the way, but I find the thought of being on bottom a huge turn on, even though I haven't actually had sex yet.
    Do you guys -who haven't had sex yet, have any kind of preference?
    And to the guys who have, did you have any preference before hand?

Hell, for I know I could hate being on bottom, and love being on top, haha! :icon_wink

2. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I have 'done it' and it's nice to have both for different reasons! You don't really have to pick one, you know? Sometimes it's really awesome to just be on bottom but other times it's way hot to be on top and feel in control. Whatever works :slight_smile: you'll figure it out when the time comes!! (!) But for the record I didn't really have a preference before from what I can remember because I really didn't know what to expect.

3. manoverboard09

I've never been with a guy, sexually. However I think I am pretty vers. Or will be at least.
    I think the only thing you can do is experiment and find out! Use some toys or something, see how that goes?

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I already had a preference. I didn't like the thought of being bottom. First and foremost, ouch! Second, I didn't like the thought of being out of control.. I like to take charge. Being a bottom sounded a bit submissive, so definitely not something I would really enjoy.

Now that I've done both, I've found that I was right :slight_smile: I love topping, I hate bottoming.

Generally I think you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll like before you try it.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being a Virgin, I have contemplated this dilemma, Top, Bottom or both & I have come to the conclusion that I would need to try both before making a decision :slight_smile:

6. manoverboard09

Lol Justin I didn't think about the submissive thing.. I guess that also plays in what you prefer. I don't mind being the submissive one, but I also enjoy being the dominant one.

7. yidnah87

I think that initially you decide on which role you want to try. However, as time goes on, I think your preference is based on your experiences. Furthermore, a lot of times it will depend on what your partner prefers.

That said, many gay/bi guys are some degree of versatile, and others, I've read maybe a third of MSM, rarely or never have anal sex.

8. MixedNutz

I think you usually have a preference of what turns you on more before you actually have sex. Most guys end up being versatile.

As far as being a bottom means being submissive. Submissive is a personality trait, top or bottom is a position. I'm a top but I like letting my partner have control.

9. Rexmond

Haha. I'm like the exact opposite!

My friend summed my situation up pretty well:

I can't say I disagree, and I do want to please my partner. I wouldn't mind trying top though, and I can imagine how painful bottom can be, but after the pain I guess it's worth it.

10. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I'm a bottom but do have the urge to try being a top so maybe I'm vers.

11. Beware Of You

For me I always had a feeling I am a bottom, and well I love being the bottom. I have dabbled in other stuff with my boyfriend. But we are both happiest with me being the submissive bottom.

Its different for everyone, so you can't really give advice on it

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's one of those things you won't be 100% sure of until you've actually tried it, and my personal opinion is that everyone should try both at least once before writing one or the other off forever. There are plenty of guys who have convinced themselves they won't like a certain role for whatever reason, so when it does come time, of course they hate it.

A large part of it comes down to the relationship dynamics, willingness to compromise, self-awareness, and an open mind. I haven't officially 'decided' anything: it'll probably come down to context, but that's no problem, since I love variety.

13. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but certain acts or positions can feel more submissive than others. It's all in your head. But even if it is, what's in your head is just as important as anything else when you're having sex.

14. lolgaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a versatile bottom. V_V

15. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was always curious about bottoming, and my first time thats what I did, also because the guy I was with was more into topping. My second time though I was the top and I was into it also. I consider myself vers, I like both and my ideal partner would be vers too.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a true vers. It really depends on who I am with, bottoming can be painful but after a while it becomes quite pleasurable, topping is definite fun too!

17. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely Vers... Best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

18. And this is when I add in my two cents' worth!
    I've been top and bottom and I'm definitely the submissive type. Before I came out to a select group of friends(my now-ex being one of them, poor guy...), I dabbled a little into the sexual world, more than I probably should have with both genders. I regret it...to a point. Can't get much better than having a girlie on top of you, kissing you like the world's gonna end the following morning. (And this is where my girly submissive personality starts blushing)
    At any rate, experiment for yourself and try what you wish. No one can make the choice for you....unless you're a submissive little girlie like me and got made to do all the work everytime you tried anything with a guy... >.> Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Hope I was of some help, still new to my own sexuality and to EC.

19. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I understand the terms completely, but I'm under the assumption top is the penetrator and bottom is the penatratee.

I have no experience, but I've only ever imagined in terms of bottom before. The thought of top just doesn't seem to do much for me. I don't know what either would actually feel like, but the idea of bottom I like more. I like the submissiveness.

20. Convoy

IDK, I've only bottomed in the past and loved it; they'll be some discomfort but there really shouldn't be any pain if your doing it right.

Bottoms can totally be in control too, it's good not to just let tops get all over you since they aren't going to be able to feel the same as you and that feedback is an important part of having good sex. Not that I don't like being submissive (Since I do; although it's not mandatory) but there are times to take control for sure.

I'd like to say that I'm vers, but I don't have any topping experience and it's not quite as appealing; not that I wouldn't try it given the chance :wink:. Soo.. Bottom Vers I guess.

Anal isn't a requirement of sex anyways, I just view it kind of like dom-sub with a more mutualistic approach than domination based relationships.