1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: I left my tampon in way too long by mistake!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by flymetothemoon, Apr 13, 2013.

1. flymetothemoon

So, I know this is kind of gross and I'm sorry. I have always been one of those people that wondered how you forgot you had in a tampon until last night. I discovered I had one in there that had been in there for probably several days because I forgot about it. I am nervous about what this means for my health. I know it can lead to TSS and I would guess other infections too. Anyone know what specific signs and symptoms I should be extra careful of or when I would expect to start seeing them? I have a doctors appointment coming up on the 24th, and I can ask them too but I'm not sure if something could become a big issue in that time period or not.

2. aeva

The symptoms occur very fast (within a day), and are really severe (vomiting & diarrhea, high fever, rash, fainting etc.)

If you experience anything like that, you obviously should go to the ER immediately. But, statistically, you're most likely fine. TSS is quite rare, although that doesn't mean you shouldn't be more careful in the future.

3. flymetothemoon

Thanks. Of course I know I need to be more careful in the future. My job unfortunately doesn't allow for bathroom breaks during the day so I used a pad and a tampon for backup earlier in the week and I guess I forgot I did both at some point...I feel really dumb for it, and for not realizing it sooner. But it is what it is, so it's good to know what to watch for.

4. KaraBulut

TSS is very dramatic- like a very rapidly occurring flu-like feeling with a rash and a high fever. If you were having the onset of a staph/strep infection to the extent that it causes TSS, the rapidity and severity of the illness would be very apparent.

While TSS can occur with normal tampons, it is more common in the superabsorbent very occlusive tampons. Most of those were taken off the market because of their association with TSS.

You might read through the information about moon cups on the forum. They are a safer alternative to tampons.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to bring this topic up again but...what sort of job prevents bathroom breaks during the day. I might bring that up with Human Resources because I'm pretty sure that's illegal....unless as you said it "doesn't allow" and you just mean you don't have the opportunity to go to the bathroom during the day. If that's the case...well I'd still see if there's some way to change that.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that in the work that I do I'm lucky to get a lunch break when I work long shifts. I work in electronic media, so if something goes wrong during setup, there goes your lunch break, or your bathroom break. It's just something that I have become used to.

7. flymetothemoon

I work in a preschool. You can't just leave kids unattended to go to the bathroom. I get one break during the day for my lunch and I use that to go to the bathroom as well. Usually this is fine, but sometimes on my heaviest days I will go through a super tampon before I get my lunch break at 2. I have PCOS, so I have heavier periods than most, so I suspect this wouldn't be as big of an issue for the typical person, but for me there are days that the one bathroom break wouldn't be good enough without backup.