1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had any experience with IV sedation during dental work

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gazza123, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I've read good things about it and since I'm petrifued of the dentist I think it would help

It's basically

'Intravenous sedation (IV) is used to reduce anxiety and fear by giving a patient a single sedative drug (midazolam or `Hypnovel`) via a vein in their hand or arm. The patient will be relaxed enough to allow dental treatment to be carried out. The patient does not go to sleep, but remains conscious throughout the treatment and is able to speak to the dentist during the visit. However, he or she will remember very little about the appointment.
    It is a very safe procedure and an ideal for anxious patients.'

I'm just worried that you might have meet some kind of requirement to get it... Like I think I'll hit a road block with them going "Sorry, that treatment is only for certain patients'

I've just been reading some good things that it has helped lots of petrified patients plus you don't really remember much of the treatment

2. June Cleaver

As long as you are willing to pay they will do it. I remembered it all each time. It is nice, but find the laughing gas is better to me. I also have a extreme fear of the dentist even as far as taking a pill at home first and arriving sedated mildly. They used to call what you are talking about Twilight Sleep when I was young. June

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

If I can get it and it helps then i don't care

I need work on my teeth but I'm scared of the dentist and IV sedation just might do the trick

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very simple and unless you have a handful of very rare circumstances there's no reason it couldn't be used for you. Personally, I've had root canals, gum surgery, and extractions under local anesthesia and it was no big deal, but I know some people can't handle that very well so it sounds like this might be a good choice for you.

5. rickon43

rickon43 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am sorry but I find it funny that people will willingly go under sedation, which presents a risk of death because they are afraid of the dentist. I just don't know why so many people are dentalphobic. These guys are good at what they do and they are drilling into tooth, which you can't feel after local anaesthetic.

6. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The risks of death are minimum if your vitals are monitored properly, which every responsible, professional dentist should if administering IV fluids. Don't scare him more than he already is. I've considered doing this to get my wisdom teeth removed, I have the strongest phobia of needles.

It's a phobia. Phobias don't make sense, they're an incredibly strong, irrational fear of something. We know they're good at what they do, but it scares the living crap out of us.

7. Gen

Gen

^This.

Not to mention, the dosage is basically on par with strong prescription medication. You are given just barely enough to not be able to naturally wake up. Nothing in comparison to what you would recieve from a hospital anesthesiologist in a real surgury. I was sedated when I had to get a large amount of teeth pulled when I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. This bastards were deep in there...

Anyway, I might have lost it when they inserted the IV and almost climbed out of the chair before the drug hit me..... but I'm fairly severe anxiety when it comes to needles. Other than that it was fine. ^_^

8. photoguy93

How do you react to sedation? Last time I had dental work done (wisdoms teeth removal, so it was more intense) I was given a bit too much and didn't really want to come back until they gave me so reversal medication and fluids.

I know it's a phobia. But it's something I think you should work on. You're going twice a year (or should!) and you might have to have other procedures done. It's very expensive to do this, because you HAVE to be monitored. (Is that covered?)

I don't care what anyone says, you must be on a monitor. If you're not, you're being really stupid. Not every dentist is able to do this, so you'll have to find someone. If money is no object,then you'll be ok. It's very safe is done well, but if not, it's as safe as walking in front of a bus....in the middle of a highway.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got this when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I didn't get to choose. I was actually asleep during most of the procedure. But I woke up while the surgeon was still working on me, though I think he was finishing up. I was so out of it, that I didn't care. I was extremely relaxed.

EDIT: Sorry I read your post wrong. You meant common dental work, and not actual surgery. When they give you a sedative with an IV, you will almost always fall asleep.

10. Sapphy

I had a dental implant fitted and I was put to sleep. I remember them asking me to tell them when I felt a bit faint and I remember being in the car afterwards being driven home.

No pain whatsoever, and my dentist offered sedation as standard. If I could be sedated for every dental occasion, I definitely would! :lol:

11. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I've got the feeling that its safe otherwise why would they offer

it. They seriously not gonna offer something if it has a high death rate.

Seriously I was scared before but now reading some of these posts are literally scaring the crap out of me.

12. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had IV sedation when I had my wisdom teeth out. Only pain was when they tried to fit the cannula. And that wasn't painful on any scale you need to worry about. You're not out completely, but you have zero idea what's going on.

I was v dopey when I came round, thought I'd been in there about 5 minutes, but was almost an hour. But don't fool yourself you won't feel any pain at all - once it wears off, you're going to feel the same pain as you would otherwise (couple of paracetamol with sort- check before taking anything though). You just won't have the fear of hearing the drill, or anything else associated with the dentist.

Also, worth noting if you have IV sedation at the hospital rather than the dentists, you won't pay a single penny.

13. if its anything like sedation they use for other things done in hospital like erm colonoscopys e.t.c then yeah, i shouldnt love the stuff but i do haha. makes you feel so good and chill :slight_smile:
    youre awake but youre still aware fo things going on just you dont have any time to react to whats going on if that makes sense, youre floppy/relaxedddd

never had it for dental work though. the adreneline if youarent sedated is good for you makes pain less intense apparently.

you cant go to work for the next day though because you are still a little drowsy. thats the only down side.

14. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think this is the first time I've ever seen "can't go to work" and "downside" in the same sentence before.

15. photoguy93

IV sedation is very safe, if it is done right. There are practices that aren't as reputable that don't handle it right. I know there was just a story awhile back about a man that died during a routine procedure because the doctor was an idiot. Don't be scared though - go some place reputable and you will be fine. Just be mindful as to what you are wanting done. It is a big deal.

16. theMaverick

Look for places that do "gentle dentistry." I'm not sure if they have what it is you're looking for, but I've heard of these places and next time I have to go, that's where I'm going to go.

17. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you can. Local anaesthetic doesn't work well for me. One time my dentist had to give me more anaesthetic eight times. Now, the standard procedure for me is to give me a special one that sedates my entire jaw and half my face. And even then, I can still feel pain, though a lot less.

As for the OP, I don't think they have IV sedation in my country, at least I've never heard of it, but if it makes you relaxed then by all means go for it. It shouldn't be harmful if they're offering it. However, I think you should try working on your fears. I'm quite afraid of the dentist as well, but I'm working on going without any help like relaxation pills, or whatever. I really think you should do the same. It's always better than using chemicals.

18. castle walls

I've been under IV sedation for dental procedures several times. I strongly prefer it to the laughing gas and I didn't have any bad experiences at all. I don't really remember what happened during the operations. I just remember someone telling me that the operation was over. If you don't have any health problems that would interfere, I highly recommend sedation.

As for the chances of death, they are unbelievably low. This study says
    I realize that the results only include Canada from 1973 to 1995 but it was all I could find. If we use the 1.4 per 1,000,000 statistic, that gives you a .00000014% chance.

19. lolol. i dont work with him but we work for the same retail chain thingy. some people dont get paid for sick days, thus loosing money which most people cant afford to do these days, well can anyone lol? was just a thought. loosing money just for sedation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally I prefer just the 'laughing gas' (or whatever its proper name is) for dental work
    I've had more than one cavity filled with only that, and a crown done too.