1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency room?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by theMaverick, Apr 18, 2013.

1. theMaverick

I know someone and they've now been sick for 24 hours. Every time she eats something, it comes back up. Should she be going to the Emergency room?

2. LD579

Is someone by her side at all times, basically? What are other symptoms / things she's showing? (Fever, sore throat, cold, chills...)

I'll say this, though: if in doubt, go to the hospital emergency. There's nothing lost by being cautious.

3. theMaverick

I'm right beside her. She seems feverish, and she's having stomach pain. I'm now actively trying to convince her that we should go. She's being stubborn.

Also, has high blood pressure.

4. LD579

Tell her that this other guy in the country above thinks that she should go.

So basically, you can either call an ambulance (May be too much of a hassle, perhaps, but it's an option), or you can try to carry her or support her to her car, or yours (Hopefully you can drive... If not, perhaps a friend could?).

I'm by no means a doctor or anything of the sort, but I suggest to you and her that you both play it safe, rather than risking anything more serious later on. I hope things work out nicely, and you sound like a very nice and caring friend, by the way =)

5. Wolfie Charm

She probably should. What about fluids? Is she having trouble keeping drinks down? Each time she throws up she is expelling what fluids she has. She will dehydrate and that will cause further complications and pain.

6. photoguy93

When you say high blood pressure, what do you mean?

As in, is she dangerously high, like 200/100 or something like that? Or just an anxious 140/90 kind of thing?

If she is continually getting sick, and it does not stop for a really long period of time, then I'd go. If she is getting better, she probably has the stomach bug. It's going around and has a lot of the same symptoms - and there's really nothing that can be done. This person should NOT be eating ANYTHING until a window of time has passed. I had this a few weeks ago and puked water...yes, I took a drink of water and that came up, too. I believe it's about a 4 hour window or something after your last bit of vomit that you can try and drink. However, it's all clear liquids and nothing over-board. Go longer if it's really that bad. So, honestly, what is she eating? If she's trying to eat normal foods she's going to vomit them up - it's a crazy bug. I didn't eat "normal" food for a few days. I'm just now at a point where I am confident enough to eat normally again...and it's been 2 weeks.

Watch for signs of dehydration - if that becomes a problem, she needs to go to the hospital.

So, to sum it all up - if she's in major distress (continual sickness) even after she's thrown everything up, then go. ESPECIALLY go if this high blood pressure thing is way out of the normal range.

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Feverish and stomach pains are not a good couple. She should go to the emergency room to be safe considering she cant eat anything.

The symptoms however are very broad, which is another reason she should go. It could be something as miniscule as a stomach bug, or it could be something like a stomach ulcer, or something serious like pancreatitis or peritonitis.

I will say this though, press on her stomach and especially around her abdomen, apply mild pressure. If she says she feels any pain at all, especially if she feels pain when you take your hand off (rebound tenderness) then it would be wisest to go to the hospital. If she feels no pain from pressure around her stomach and abdomen though, then it's probably okay, but keep a close eye on her and monitor her fever; if her fever goes up to or beyond about 103F, then it's probably wisest to take her to the ER.

All the best.

8. theMaverick

I got her to the ER. They are doing CT scan now, I'm a bit freaked out, but thanks for your advice.

This hospital has excellent eye candy, at least that's a plus :wink:

9. LD579

Well, for now there's not much to do but wait. I hope she'll be alright. And again, you're such a pal for sticking with her. Cheers to you =)

Eye candy is free and potent and awesome. You can never get enough eye candy :wink: (!)

10. June Cleaver

Next time you run into a sick person who can't hold anything down, this is what you do: Start with hot tea with sugar plain, no lemon or citrus. Not herbal tea, it must be regular and plain like Liptons, no flavors like Earl Grey. Have them start with a small sip every couple min for a half hour. Once that stays down make toast thick with butter and coat the butter thick with sugar. Cut into small bite sized pieces. One bite every 5 min with a sip of tea until system balences out. The person will feel better and hold food within a hour or two. Once this happens for several hours feed the person Borsch not chicken soup. It is real important when making the Borsch to boil the beef rib bones hard for at least 2 hours and to get as much of the marrow out of the bones as possable. It will have the person up and feeling better within hours like magic. Good luck when you take her home! June

#10 June Cleaver, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. LD579

Er... No. No offense, but... no.

Liptons isn't plain, either. All tea leaves have flavour of some sort.

Instead, things like Gatorade or Powerade (Helps you not dehydrate [Water alone, for someone who can't hold anything down, will not prevent dehydration due to loss of other crucial things]) can be very helpful and at least more filling than some water alone.

Congee can be nice, too, once the person feels they can eat things between a solid and a liquid.

Plain crackers (And plain bread) can help, too, but make sure the stomach's settled down enough for that.

It can take a few days. It's better to play things safe (Because throwing up hurts, and is not fun. Also, because diarrhea is not fun) rather than getting adventurous with toast that's thickly coated in sugary butter.

#11 LD579, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  12. Zaio

Zaio Guest

This. While I'm sure you meant well, you should be careful what you give someone with stomach pains and fever. If you have stomach pains it's generally a good idea to not eat, or at least be mindful of what you eat and when. If the cause of the stomach pain is something serious, it can be aggravated by the consumption of food and certain drinks. If the cause of the stomach pain is minor then it will clear relatively quickly, and quite often someone with stomach pains isn't hungry.

All the best.

13. June Cleaver

My Grandfather was a Dr. and Grandma was a nurse. He started in 1925 and back then in the hospital they commonly gave tea and sugar toast just as I stated. Don't knock something without tring it. The tannic acid in tea will naturally settle your stomach, the sugar keeps the sugar levels up long enough while settling the stomach enough to eat. Sports drinks won't do nothing to a vomiting person but make them vomit which will dehydrate them more. I have nursed many sick BFs over the years and what I said always works. My Grandpa the Dr. was schooled by Johns Hopkins University in the class of 1924 and back then tea and sugar toast was followed by beef soup. I serve Borsch and find it works almost too well as the patient usuially goes from dying to feeling better within hours. June

14. Sully

I'm not going to knock it before trying it...but modern medicine has come a long way since the 20's...

15. Zaio

Zaio Guest

It may work for settling stomachs, but that's not the point I was making. For example, that "sugar toast" will be an incredibly bad idea for someone with, say, pancreatitis. The increased insulin it has to produce to make up for the increased glucose can cause it to be pushed over the edge and result in the person needing to go to the ER room immediately. Although it's more than likely a person with pancreatitis will go to the ER anyway, foods will just aggravate it, and can do so pretty badly.

If you're 100% sure it's just sickness with no serious cause of it, then I'm sure your remedy is fine. However, I'd refrain from using it till I know it's nothing serious. Stomach pain is an usual thing, something like appendicitis can start as shoulder pain because the body doesn't know where the pain is coming from, until it becomes very painful then it localises.

All the best.

16. June Cleaver

I had pancreatitis Thanksgiving 2004 and was hospitalized. That pain is so bad the person is not going to eat much less drink. It did start with me thinking I had food poisining from dinner the night before, and was nothing like having a little bug. In fact the Dr. at the hospital put me out with with pain medicine injections right away and I understand that pain is normal with pancreatitis and it came on fast. Easter 2012 I had my gall bladder out. So when that gave me fits starting in 2010 it also was terribly painfull and I thought it was my heart so I left it alone for 2 years praying to die until the final attack happened. If someone is seriously ill like that they will know it. What I sugessted is for someone who is run of the mill sick and throwing up. Dr. Tay--r retired in 1977 well into the days of the pill pushers, he heald on to what worked. Pills don't fix a cold, not even today. I come from a family full of Dr.s including one famous one, my uncle who is world known since 1970 and I have seen him do the same for my cousins when they have been sick in bed throwing up.

A lot of people don't know what to do for a sick person who is not holding drink down and end up making it worse by serving the wrong things causing the person to become more dehydrated. It is meant as a helpfull piece of advise, nothing more. By all means if someone is seriously ill, get them to the emergency room. That is a call to be made in each case.

I can also say it works for someone sick from being put under General for surgery. My mom always wakes up to a upset stomach and vomiting post-surgery from the General and I have carried tea and sugar toast every time to her because the medicine the hospitals give for it does'nt work for her. The first time I watched them let her suffer for 8 hours while adding medicine to her IV to stop it before I went home and fixed it for her. June

17. KaraBulut

Back on topic....

18. theMaverick

UPDATE : She had a strangulated hernia and they had to do emergency surgery. She's spending another night in the hospital, and I'm thinking, based on talking to the doctors, that she may spend the whole weekend there.

19. June Cleaver

I am so glad to hear she is ok. I will pray for a quick recovery for her. June

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a good thing that you got her to the hospital then! I will keep her in my thoughts. Having surgery is never a fun thing.