1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

allergy meds - please read

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by evora, Apr 18, 2013.

1. evora

If you too have an allergy, what meds do you take? I've been using Avamys nasal spray for years but I feel very reluctant to keep using it because I have no idea what its long term effects are going to be. I try not to use it too much but I have to when I start to feel it's getting harder to breathe, sore throat, ears hurting, etc.
    Also, I don't trust my doctor and I already know it would be useless to ask his opinion on what else I could use instead of this spray because I'm basically his paying customer so I don't think he'd tell me not to use it even if it turned out this wasn't what I needed.
    Do you have any advice on what I should do?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to your doctor!

Doctors will tell you to stop taking a med that isn't working for you. If they don't, reputation starts going around that they're incompetent, patients start leaving for other doctors, and they end up out of business.

Besides, you should not be stopping or changing meds without a doctor's advice, because you don't know the possible effects on your health. Some medications need to be tapered off slowly or you get sick. Many medications will interact badly with certain risk factors. And sometimes poor medication response is a hint that the diagnosis is wrong.

If you have reason to believe your doctor is not acting with your best interests in mind, get another doctor. But don't try to manage your health without a doctor's guidance, unless you have a medical degree.

3. LD579

I second everything said here. If you're concerned about your current doctor, perhaps try to find another one.