1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male uti's in unprotected anal sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by allisonagain, Apr 20, 2013.

1. allisonagain

My partner and I are committed monogamists and have been for years. He always does the inserting and has recently been getting UTI's that are from e-coli which is typical for sexually induced uti's. Has anyone experienced this and found a way to prevent the uti's without using prophalactic antibiotics or condoms? Please let's not fill this thread with lectures about "safe sex", this is another topic from a mature male couple in love.

2. KaraBulut

Unfortunately, no.

One of the reasons that women are instructed to wipe front to back is that the bacteria that are responsible for most UTIs are the same bacteria that are found in the anus.

Before gay men were encouraged to use condoms because of HIV (and hepatitis), we used to treat a lot of UTIs in gay men. Looking back, I'm not sure why we didn't suggest condoms but it was relatively easy to treat UTIs and NSUs with antibiotics.

Since condoms have become more of the norm, we do see fewer UTIs. My suggestion would be to try condoms and see if it resolves the issue. If it doesn't, then he should see a urologist to determine if there is a problem such as an obstruction or incomplete emptying of the bladder that may be the cause of the problem.

3. allisonagain

I have an update on the male UTI issue. I joined my partner when he saw a urologist to discuss the UTI issue. The urologist interrupted me as I was describing the problem my boyfriend has saying "UTI's are not an STD", I began to ask about that statement and he repeated "UTI's are not an STD". He did not elaborate much other than to say e-coli is a common bug and just because you culture it in a UTI does not mean it came from a rectum. He said there is no connection between anal sex and UTI's. So considering his credentials being a teaching MD at a University Hospital and his years of experience, I'm going with his analysis. We don't worry about it anymore and it seems to have been a coincidence my boyfriend and his UTIs.

4. karlhall

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HI! Bump on this thread.

I need a little advice/information cos right now I'm super worried on behalf of my partner. What is the incidence rate of UTI of anal sex IF the top does not cum in me, I was a little dirty down there inside (and it showed), and we washed up using antibacterial soap afterwards?

5. Convoy

I've heard that not releasing ejaculate and then "pulling out" or so during sex can increase the amount of bacteria that can be transmitted since the ejaculate can neutralize some imbalances in fluid exchange.

But that's a rumor and assuming he's clean'ish most times then I can't say for sure that that is the cause.

UTI's actually aren't hard to get in men if your eating the wrong thing, not airing out your junk, etc. I wouldn't jump to say e coli though, that would be a bit more severe (Sickness, illness, etc).

Anyways if he has one then I would just use a condom for a while just to be safe and let it heal up/be treated.

6. karlhall

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Isn't E Coli present in all forms of stool and lower intestinal junk?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to say it, but there's simply no reason *not* to use a condom. You avoid the whole UTI problem, plus the risk of much greater problems if your partner isn't as monogamous as you think he is... which, unfortunately, happens an awful lot.

I know quite a number of people who are now HIV+ because they were absolutely convinced their monogamous partner would never cheat on them. Unfortunately, no one believes it will happen to them until it does, and then it is too late.