1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression/post traumatic stress

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Priiiide, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Priiiide

Has anyone ever dated/ or been friends with someone who has mild depression/anxiety and suffers from post traumatic stress disorder? How did you help them on days that they were down? Or does anyone have any general tips/advice please?

2. photoguy93

I've never dated anyone with this, but one of my best friends has dealt with PTSD and I definitely have anxiety issues, lol.

What's going on? The hard part is that different people handle it in different ways. Two of my close friends are bipolar. It's like a Venn diagram. One has bad highs and lows, they both can get impulsive......they both get emotional, etc. so it really depends on the situation and how it manifests. There are some set symptoms so you can try and get informed.

Also, if this person is seeking treatment it will help so much.

3. Priiiide

I dont actually think its depression, I think it is linked to the post traumatic stress disorder, so they will have depressive days where they are just not in a place to see anyone and sometimes very anxious and irritable. It's over the loss of her mum and brother through suicide. They see a psych, but not often enough, it's been a few years. They do not want to take medication for it. *

4. dzalxa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad someone asked this question!

I was diagnosed with major depression and have friends who have depression. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with someone with PTSD, but I imagine that would be very difficult to live with. And since I haven't dated anyone with depression, I'm not sure if I would be of much help in the dating area. *

I can't say there are general solutions that work for everyone, I'll just share some of the things that seem to help for my friends and I.*

With my friends, I find that just being there for them and listening to their frustrations helps. One thing that DOESN'T help is comparing their lives to people who might be less fortunate and suggesting that depression isn't all that bad compared "more serious problems." I still don't understand what that means. I've seen people close up after those kinds of sayings and go into an even darker mood.****

I'll say that in my experience, whenever I get into these "funks" (moods where I'm feeling extremely low), I find that simply being by supportive people such as close friends*or human touch, like going and getting a massage.*

I hope this helped, and I would be interested in hearing from others about these issues too.

5. photoguy93

You can't really control this person, but counseling is a big step.... and medication really, really, really might be something for this person to think about. I have Panic Disorder, but I really don't want to be on medication. Mine is much more of a thought-based treatment, so I can do my best to help myself. But for something like bipolar, depression, PTSD, etc...it can be very difficult to consistently work with just yourself.

It's important for you to be there, but there's also a point where you, as a friend, have to be honest. One of my friends (she has bipolar) discussed joining the army reserves. I said "you have to be off meds, I believe...and sweetie, you can't." There's just sometimes where, as a friend, you have to be honest and open. Sometimes, it isn't what a friend wants to hear. it isn't about being rude; it's about being a good friend and a good help.

6. Kyllani

As someone with PTSD and terrible depression/anxiety, I'll say it can be hard to cheer me up some days. But, it's not impossible. I find that hugs do wonders. Also, my boyfriend plays uplifting songs for me when I'm depressed. Just sit down with them, watch their favorite show, and find a way to make them laugh. Sometimes just knowing someone else is there and cares can do wonders.

I agree with photoguy, though. This person should really consider medication. If not medication, then they should attend counseling regularly. I've been on meds for a few years now, and most of the time I'm pretty okay. I'm getting into therapy now, and hopefully one day I won't need the meds anymore. Medication doesn't have to be a permanent solution.

If this person is absolutely against medication, try to get them into a workout regimen. A regular workout routine can provide the same benefits as an antidepressant.

7. Priiiide

She manages well usually.. Because she doesn't have a chemical
    Imbalance she doesn't think she needs medication, and it won't be healthy for her body.
    Because its usually grief over the loss of her brother and mother, it's a bit different to regular PTSD I think? But I will encourage counselling regularly!

8. sillyolme

I am fairly sure that I had or have (can't tell) PTSD and I have had it in the past where I have had a random sadness, not triggered by anything, so be aware that this could happen. Also, do encourage counselling, but please don't pester about it if she says no. People said how much I needed counselling and I just felt like I wanted to scream at them cause I didn't want counselling. Also, hugs help. If they want to talk about it, they will talk about it, but sometimes its hard to rake it back up and would rather not talk about it. Try not to be too peppy when cheering up, as this really doesn't help. Just show that you are there for her (but don't say it all the time... actions speak louder than words).

Hope this helps

9. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Dad has post traumatic stress (he worked in Iraq and a bomb fell through the roof of his office and landed on his desk. Fortunately it didn't detonate.) He lives in another country and i see him for 3/4 days every few months so I don't have much experience with his bad day but on the occasions I have, honestly I stay out of his way and if he asks me to do something I just do it. Can't really offer any more advise.

10. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents and I all have PTSD and depression, and my younger brother just has depression. So I've seen it from both sides.

One thing to remember is that it can be hard to see from the outside whether you're helping or not. But from the inside, you can see it's helping you even if things are still pretty bad. So don't give up and think 'there's nothing I can do' because even if the person is still very down, just knowing that you're there and you support them is very helpful.

11. catatonie

It depends on the person. You have to have an open conversation with your partner about what they do and don't need. Things you might think would cheer a sad person up, can be detrimental to someone with PTSD. Touch, noise, smells, things you might assume would help, can actually trigger them and make it worse. Always ask before you try anything, like don't try to run up and hug your partner if they are in a bad place, unless you've already established that's something they want.

Don't push for counseling. It's alienating to have someone tell you to "see someone" when they open up to you, or when they just want to be alone. On that note, respect their need for "alone time", even if it doesn't seem healthy to you, it can be a necessary part of their coping.

The most you can do it be there for them to talk to, and not take it personally if they can't open up.

12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

As a PTSD/ depression/ anxiety sufferer myself ... I would agree with catatonie wholeheartedly.

The steps a sufferer takes toward recovery must come from within. If imposed from outside it might just meet resistance.

But you can help if you can broach the subject of counselling and meds if and when an opportunity arises. Or just being around as a friend ... is priceless

Meds aren't for ever .. and some deal with anxiety and depression in parallel.

best of luck ...