1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keratosis Pilaris

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BornInTexas, Apr 20, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

I have it, and I was wondering what I do to make the bumps less noticable, besides the expensive treatments from dermatologists? Mine seem to be popping up, and it's kind of gross. It's getting worst around my face and arms for some reason. Should I be on a special diet..?

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

My doctor said there was not a great deal that could be done about it, I've changed my diet and its still the same. Keratosis Pilaris - NHS Choices contains some info.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it says on there to use soap-free cleansers and by gently exfoliating :slight_smile:

4. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I was prescribed all sorts of creams by my quack doctor but I think they just minimise the symptoms rather than cure it, daft things like the weather are better for me. I found opposite to what that page says that in the sun mine all but disappeared.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know someone who had Psoriasis & he said "that the Sun cleared his condition up a bit" :slight_smile:

6. Jordz

I've got this and some things i've read are moisturizing and exfoliating daily might help but i've not tried it yet. I've also read sun will make it seem less visible, which seems true as since we've stared seeing some sun here it is less visible. Everywhere says there is no cure tho just things to improve it slightly.

7. KaraBulut

Diet won't affect it. It's caused by build-up of hardened skin cells around the hair follicles.

You might try using a non-soap cleanser like Cetaphil wash along with Cetaphil moisturizer on the area. Sometimes using a mild exfoliant like a BHA or AHA product helps.

8. SpectreStatus

I have a mild form of this.. It's more prominent in the winter.
    It's mainly located on my jaw area and the top of my arms.
    What works for me is a good exfoliation once a day (I use St Ives apricot scrub) and lots of moisturising... At least twice a day (try to avoid heavily scented moisturisers)

Also I use a bath oil called fenjal, it makes your skin super soft!

It never completely goes away but if you continue to moisturise and exfoliate you will notice a massive improvement.
    Whatever you do, even if it itches. Do not pick it!

9. BornInTexas

Thanks for the replies guys.

I bought a very light, unscented exfoliating body scrub. After one shower, it's cleared up a little on my arms. :grin: I'm not sure if I can use it on my face though.

Kara, if you read this, do you know a face wash that would make the bumps on my face less prominent?

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have it also. I started having it when I was 19. I get mine on the back of my upper arm. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for it. I also heard the sun is good for treating it. I've recently started tanning again last week, so I'm going to see if that helps mine.

Mine has gotten to the point where it gets so dry, that some of the tiny bumps will snag my shirt. It's annoying. ._.
    Oh nice! What's the body scrub called? :0

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I have it, but its some what going?? :slight_smile: I just noticed now, after I read this thread.

I think its curable, regardless of "Professionals" saying otherwise, I rather research before I accept something.

I have no idea when it started to go, but I've been taking Spirulina for a while now, you should try it. It contains a vast amount of nutrients.

12. BornInTexas

I went to the dermatologist when it was very mild because I thought it was life-threatening, but apparently it is genetic, and it will never go away. My dad has it.

13. Convoy

Yeah I've had it my entire life and it covers a good part of my body. Not picking is good, and keeping your skin healthy (Moisturizing, exfoliation, etc) will help; I used to use some creams as well but they really didn't do much other than slightly alleviate the condition.

It can get better with age in some cases though, and mine has slightly alleviated since my childhood. Other than that there isn't much that can be done. Keeping your skin healthy and clean, especially around your face can help alleviate symptoms.

So yeah, best of luck with it. I don't really treat mine actively to be honest and it's not really that bothersome after a while, except I can't wear silk.