1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas to help reduce back pain?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fairybread, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I put my lower back out (spine visibly displaced) at work on Saturday, and wasn't allowed to go home, so had to continue working with it like that (I work in fast food), and that won't have helped. I am seeing a doctor today (Monday), as my doctor was closed over the weekend.

Any generalised ideas to help reduce the amount of pain? I'm trying not moving too much, and painkillers aren't really helping much. I also can't take heavier duty painkillers and/or anti-inflammatories, because I'm allergic to them.

I'm not sure whether heat or cold would be better for it, or what else to try.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. Dalmatian

Pain killers are probably not a great idea anyway, because you might do more damage unknowingly (pain here serves its purpose of preventing you doing stupid things - like it should have when you continued working). I'd suggest lying down, resting, possibly some muscle relaxants (before going to sleep, not during day) and of course, go see a doctor. I'd got to emergency actually. You have no idea what kind of damage you did.

3. KaraBulut

For back strain, generally bed rest and icepacks will help for the first 48-72 hours. If you're unable to tolerate ibuprofen or naproxen, then you can try an analgesic balm that contains methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) or menthol.

Once the inflammation is improved, then you should resume activity according to your doctor's instructions.