1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body Image/Bathingsuits

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hopeful, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Hopeful

Hi, I'm a 20-year-old female and I'm very uncomfortable wearing two-piece bathing suits. Do any of you girls feel the same way?

I've been very comfortable in water since I was a baby and have swum on swim team since I was 6, so I'm used to wearing a speedo/one piece suit. My favorites now are by Dolfin - called Uglies. Look them up if you want; very bright random colors put together in patterns. However, I cannot wear a bikini. I don't like my stomach; it's white and pasty and I carry extra weight around my hips and waist. Any ideas of how to make myself more comfortable wearing two-piece suits or how to find a one-piece suit that is actually age appropriate and doesn't look like something a mom would wear?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand two-piece either - not due to body image issues but because of sensory issues and general prudishness.

Personally, I find sports bathing suits the best. I don't have much of a fashion sense, but I think they look decent (generally sleek and dark-colored) and they're also better quality than most bathing suits, so they last longer and fit better.

You can often find them in regular clothing stores, but if not, try a sports store.

3. Hopeful

You know what, it's not JUST the self esteem issues for me, I think it's that I'm so used to one-piece suits that actually stay on more comfortable. The body image is just part of it.

Thanks - sports suits do seem pretty decent. Not very "pretty" but, I'd rather not look like I'm wearing a bra and underwear.

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Despite numerous attempts from friends to get me into a bikini, I dont wear them at all. Does the world really need to see me in my bra and panties?! I dont think so! I prefer to wear a tankini top and boy shorts when I go swimming. Much more sensible and modest

5. IrishEyes1989

Hey Hopeful :slight_smile:

Have you ever tried a tankini? It's a two piece bathing suit but the top is more like a tank top (hence "TANKini") and it covers the majority of your midriff. Though, it might fall into the category of what a mum would wear, so perhaps it's not a possibility for you lol.