1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavy Menstrual Cycle When You Start HRT?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NoMercyMercury, Apr 25, 2013.

1. One thing I have heard from ALL my FtM friends is that once you start HRT you're menstrual cycle is extremely heavy the first month. This actually scares me. I have never been able to handle my period well. When I was younger I would actually go into such a depression over it that my parents would keep me home from school. Now in my adult years, I still find it hard to cope with it at times. Especially being that I get horrible strep throat, sinus bleeding, and severe dehydration (we're talking hospital quality here), every dag-on time!

A heavy menstrual cycle frightens me more than anything in transitioning, even if it is for a limited time. What are your personal experiences? How long did it really last? How bad was it, really? How did you deal with the heavy flow? Ladies: How do you typically handle a heavy cycle?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had heavy periods but yours sound significantly more intense than mine LoL I just take a Motrin, get my dog to lay on my stomach, and try to sleep... but yours sounds like it requires more medical attention. Unfortunately, I cannot give any advice for your specific circumstances, but I would definitely seek medical advice.

Sorry I couldn't help much. :frowning2:

3. Hexagon

Thats interesting. I've never had a period in my life, so my first month of HRT was no different. However, I've read the opposite. Sometimes periods can stop during the first month, sometimes the second. And they are always light before they stop.

If it does turn out to be particularly heavy, you will just have to get through it. Horrible it may be, but it will probably be the last one, and one big one has got to be better than a life time of medium sized periods, right?

4. TraceElement

I have a coworker that said that when her period was really heavy, she would use pampers instead of pads for absorbancy. Make sure that you pop some advil or aleve a day or 2 before you get your cycle so the cramps are lessened. As for dehydration, try to drink an extra few cups of water before your cycle hits to lessen the effects. Also try eating jello and watermelon and having gaterade.
    As for the strep throat an sinus infections, is your doctor aware? They might be able to put you on a preventative pill or take your tonsils out.