1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Quitex, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I. Can't sleep. well.

I've been having an issue for quite sometime since I can't sleep until 1 or 2 am and I can't wake up early, and now i'm the other way around: I'm always sleepy and the thing is that I don't WANT to sleep! So I do other stuff for not sleeping as playing online or surfing the net.... etc. etc. etc.

So what the hell is going on with me? Sometimes I sleep a lot and well then I can't sleep at all and I need some advice.

:help:

By the way, yes I went away for some time - decided to take a break :slight_smile:

2. justjoshoh

A habit is learned over time. Sometimes we become a slave to our habits. It is possible that you have trained yourself to expect your normal sleep at a certain time and for a certain amount. That would also explain when there are derivations from the pattern that you either sleep too much or not enough.

3. John666

John666 Guest

aparrently if you eat a banana you want to go to sleep??

4. kramer362

I used to have trouble sleeping a lot, and would end up tired all day just like you. the thing is though, at 17 you need a lot of sleep and naturally wanna sleep later than 7 or 8 am but school doesn't usually let that happen. I don't know if my body was starting to settle down or my changes of habit that made a difference, but after I started doing a few things I was able to fall asleep much quicker. Basically it seemed to be matter of trying to be healthier I guess.

1. I stopped drinking soda, especially at night (it always gave me bad breath anyway)

2. I stopped eating (or drinking) anything, even snacks within 2-3 hours of when I was trying to get to sleep by. I started only drinking water in the time before bed.

3. Eating breakfast really helped me not to be so exhausted in the morning.

4. I stopped trying to sleep with the tv on, and I would instead try to read before bed because reading tires my eyes a lot more than watching television, and I know immediately when I can fall asleep because reading gets really hard, haha

5. And I basically try to sleep in complete dark and silence, because even once you're asleep, I have read that any background noise, like a tv being on, delays you from going into a deep sleep or something like that.

Eating breakfast is a big one though I think, as far as giving you energy for the morning and afternoon, hopefully this helps you :slight_smile:

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

^ I agree with all of that. :thumbsup:

6. Rahata

Greats tips thanks for the advice!

7. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Well I'll try and do all this, but the thing is that yes I'm able to sleep over around 9:00 am (but I dont have to, lmao) since classes starts at 9:30.
    I am not used for breakfast. Normally I drink a half cup of coffee and that's it. I don't have time either :/

Well, all I gotta do is try :slight_smile:
    But any advice on how to make me be sleepy, say "earlier", not ulti 1 or 2 am?

8. KaraBulut

kramer362's advice is excellent. I have only two things to add:

1. Use the last hour before you go to bed as a "wind down" time. No computer. No TV. No exercise. No food. Lower the lights. Reading or listening to mellow music is okay- just nothing that is too over-stimulating.

2. This one is hard for young people- try to go to bed and get up at the same time in the morning. Avoid naps during the day. Your body likes consistency and a consistent rhythm of going to sleep at the same time and getting up at the same time.

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Just a little update:
    Since I partially-quitted this online game, I've been sleeping way better. I am going to bed around 10 PM and I don't have any issues to fall asleep. It is helping me a lot since I wake up now around 7:00 and I have more time to shower and to do my stuff - Still I can't, just can't take breakfast. Any idea why this may be, or would it be good if I push my body and eat something light say, like a yogurt or a glass of milk (ew, milk I know, but you have to drink milk for your good health anyways :frowning2: ) or should I not eat since i'm not 'hungry' ?

10. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i some times have trouble sleeping becuase my brothers snoring wakes me up some times,
    i also get very sleepy but because i have long days at school i live at bondi and go to school in randwick and also do a part time job at randwick some after school ends.
    no day light savings now also makes me more sleepy for some reason. i can also sleep for 12 hours if ive been at school and at work in the afternoons

#10 jayden, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  11. Enzyme

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey man, I feel for you.
    I always have had bad sleeping problems, i'm always up late unless I NEED to be somewhere on mornings, but I sleep easy on weekdays if I.

1- Don't eat alot before bed, nor drink fizzy stuff.
    2- TV/lights off.
    3- Do some leg stretches before bed :slight_smile: it really works haha.
    4- Just relax, try not to worry about not getting any sleep it'll make it worse.
    5- Count sheep...seriously I do this and it works, usually get to like 71 though.
    Good luck :]

12. Extreme26

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have got myself into the routine of going to bed after 11. Now I find it really hard to get to sleep before that time and sometimes if I go to bed earlier I will be awake later!

Try and tire yourself out during the day. If you aren't as active during the day do something about it. Surely you will get tired with exercise, if not at least you will get trim! :lol:

13. Alex

I have found that riding on my bike to school makes me tired... (kinda obvious...) so a bit of work during the day does not hurt either.
    And if you cant read a book the last hour before you sleep get some kind of cartoons or a magazine that interests you and aim to sleep 8-9 hours

14. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i didnt sleep well last night becuase i was felt sick and mum said i have to stay home to day from school. i live at bondi beach and go to school at randwick boys and it would be a long and steep climb up bondi road to get there. i would have to sleep for a week if i rode my bike!!!:sleep: :eek:

15. Gumtree

QFT!

I have done that climb at a few times when I'm in Bondi for holiday. It kills you :frowning2:

16. Gumtree

Breakfast is really important, i think even if you're not hungry you should force yourself to eat something.

I know i use to skip breakfast everyday just because i wasn't hungry, but i started forcing myself, at first i hated it. But nowdays my body expects to be fed in the mornings and i wake up hungry.

Breakfast; split it up and you get Break Fast!

You will feel better throughout the day if you get a good brekky, more energy, longer attention span, won't get hungry before your lunch meal etc.

And best of all, a meal in the morning will kickstart your metabolism!