1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel really sick after working out.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lamonia, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Lamonia

Lamonia Guest

Is it ok to feel really nauseous after a work out? Is there any way to avoid that, I think working out is nice, but I hate anticipating that feeling of being floored after.

I don't know how to assess if I am doing too little or overdoing it either.

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

2. catatonie

Yeah, it's a sign you're working too hard for your current abilities. Do less intense workouts, always stretch before and have a cool down afterward (light jog -> walk or something).

3. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Not really, I am hardly a work out machine but you should not feel sick I know that. It may be doing too much/too little or not eating/drinking enough before you have started.

Are you suddenly working out after a long period of not doing it? How long and what are you doing?

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a pretty common sign of overdoing it.

Apparently Olympic athletes regularly end up barfing during their workouts. To the point where they keep a bucket and tease team members who haven't used it yet. (Have I mentioned I have no desire whatsoever to be an Olympic athlete?)

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've experienced this too, it's awful...normally happens after overdoing it after a prolonged period of no exercise.

6. As others are saying, it could be anything from overdoing it, to not enough hydration, or not taking proper breaks, or proper sets. Anything, really. If you're not sure how to assess it, perhaps you could consult a trainer or family member/friend with knowledge on the subject.

#6 femaleatheart, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  7. KaraBulut

We would need more information, as others have asked:
    1. What kind of workouts?
    2. How long since you started working out and has it always been this way?
    3. Are you eating before/after your workouts? What time of day are you working out?

8. The username

The only time I had horrible nausea and threw up after a workout was after a long hiatus from the gym. I would say tone down your workout and build up to what you are doing now.

9. Lamonia

Lamonia Guest

Oh sorry,

So I just do weight lifting for now, I started 2 months ago, I don't do cardio at all - for the same reason I just get really nauseous.

I heard that you should avoid eating prior, that would help with the nausea, so I just drink a protein shake before going, and then afterwards another shake and a decent meal.

I go like twice a week, one day upper one day lower. I do 2-3 sets/8-10 reps of a bunch of things, for around 45-60 minutes. I also occasionaly sip a soft drink. (They say water alone is bad for hydration or something?)

I think probably as someone said I don't rest enough. I was just checking if everyone experiences that and sucks it up, but I guess not, I'll go a bit easier then. I'm a natural slacker so lol.

Thanks everyone!.

10. Ridiculous

If you're like me, a shake beforehand is going to be more likely to make you sick than eating because it'll be sloshing around inside you. I try to go for at least an hour without eating or drinking anything beforehand.

Just stick to water. There are specially formulated drinks that are supposed to hydrate you more efficiently, but that is completely unimportant unless you are a professional athlete.
    And in any case soft drink isn't one of those drinks. The carbonation/fizziness of the drink is probably part of the problem.

Make sure you are hydrated (with water!) before you start exercising - if you are trying to hydrate yourself during, it is too late.