1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other nail biters out there?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sully, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Sully

After 19 years of bad nail biting, all of a sudden, I've just stopped! No thought to it, no plan to stop, nothing. I just stopped!

It seems to have coincided with coming out to a few people and I assume it is some kind of nervous habit? So I wonder if they're related?

One thing I've noticed is how strange my finger tips feel! It is such a weird feeling, if I push on the bottom of my finger directly on the other side to the nail, the flesh on the end of the finger pushe up on the nail and applies pressure right at the nail bed, it's been so weird to get used to! Not to mention being able to scratch things and not having painful finger tips from biting them!

So are you are nail biter or have you stopped? It was always something I was pretty embarrassed about (since primary school when a girl said biting nails is 'for girls').

2. BudderMC

I am a nail biter, for sure. I stopped for a couple of years when I was a teenager, but I've picked it up again. It's definitely a nervous habit for me. I know it isn't good, but if I'm somewhere like in an exam where I can't do other things to keep myself focused and not stressed out (ex. sing to myself, tap my feet, etc.) then it'll do in a pinch.

I really should try stopping again. I've managed to go for a couple of weeks at a time lately, but exams killed that. I find I'm okay at getting myself to not bite them, but once they become long I never make time to clip them and end up biting them off. :/

3. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to. But since you can't with braces, I kinda stopped when I got them 2 years ago.
    I got them off recently and I still don't bite. It just feels so awkward now.lol

4. Sully

Actually I don't have a clue on how long they're meant to be! Is there a rule of thumb as to how short to trim them?

Also they make my hands look really feminine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: not a fan of that but oh well

5. photoguy93

Oh, I found a way to bite my nails, haha. Even with braces, I did it.

I'm a nervous nail biter. I've been trying my best to stop. It's definitely difficult. I can tell when I'm really nervous, because I bite all my nails off.

The worst part is that it seems to transfer. When I stop doing that, I pick up on tapping my foot really loudly or being really fidgety.

What's helped, though, is I bought this "Orly Matte for Guys" nail polish. You can still tell I have something on if you look, but it is not nearly as bad as clear coat. It totally helps me.

6. Sully

Is that the stuff that tastes really bad? My parents tried that when I was little...I just licked it off a bit my nails :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. photoguy93

Not technically. It's not specifically for that, but it does taste really, really bad!

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a habitual nervous nail biter. Whenever I get nervous I bite my nails. I would really like not be able to quit it.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a nailbiter. I don't get why people assume it's a nervous habit, it has nothing at all to do with my mood. I bite my nails when happy, I bite my nails when sad, I bite my nails when anxious...

It just doesn't feel right to have fingernails, I guess.

10. Wolfie Charm

For a lot of people it is mood related. When I am under stress I realize I have been biting again. But I also bite/chew/drag when I am bored or hungry. My hands have to have something to do nearly all the time.

I have stopped again recently. This time around it coincided with my nails deciding to grow. I keep scratching myself because I forget they are suddenly there! I almost got myself good the other day when brushing a horse hair off my arm. My nail caught. That’s what I find annoying about having nails again lol.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My names Dublin Boy & I am a Nail Biter :slight_smile:

12. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a nail biter and i'm fine.Nice to meet you partners in Nail biting

13. kingzap321

i bite my nails also, and i have recently come out to some friends and it has not stopped. Maybe in your case they were connected but for me i dont think that is the case. =]

Luke. =]

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    total nail bitter, there was a 2 year period where I stopped, but it didn't keep. When I'm out of nail I tend to eat my hand

15. tryhtwfr

I think it's a disgusting habit and I've learned my lesson. One day, I was biting my nails and I went too far on the edge of my finger tips and then over the next few days, puss was growing on the side inside my fingertips and it was very painful. Eventually, I needed to pop it with a needle: a very bad experience. :frowning2:

That still never stopped me!

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always bitten my nails. And don't plan on stopping. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Yep. I've been a biter for as long as I can remember...wait... Wow, subtle signs were there all along :slight_smile:

18. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    :roflmao:

19. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup I'm a nail biter! I tend to bite them more if I'm worrying about something or stressed. It's never really bothered me before.

20. Stoical

I'm a nail biter. I did stop for a while when I had braces as a teenager, but started up again a few years after they came off. I know it's at least somewhat stress/anxiety related for me because I've been biting the living you-know-what out of them lately.

I really hate the fact that I still continue doing it, but its become such an unconscious habit for me. Anytime I don't have my attention completely focused on not biting my nails, I'll quickly find myself doing it again. :bang:

Funny enough, I had been thinking about something along these line. Figured a mouthful of polish would help guard off unconscious biting attacks. Of course, the obvious flaw in the plan would be having to show up to the office with brightly colored nails. Although with a clear matte gloss, if the shine isn't too bad, I might be able to get away with it...

This may warrant further exploration. :slight_smile: