1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood donations are gaysist?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by limeslam, Apr 29, 2013.

1. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Alright, so my school is having a blood donation, and it says that if you have had any sexual contact with another male after 1977, you cannot donate blood because you are likely to have AIDS. I was wondering if anyone else found this offensive, because gay sex isn't the only way you get aids. Plus, they check the blood anyways, so why not wait until then before you limit off everyone who has ever had gay sexual contact? They are limiting so many people who could donate blood.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

It's offensive, discriminatory, and stupid.
    Then again, I mentally can't give blood anyway. I really don't like the idea of that needle going into my arm to suck out my blood.

3. Ticklish Fish

After 1977....

23+12=35 years is a lot of medical improvements....

erhmagud

4. Hefiel

Not surprising. Even in Canada, gays can't technically donate blood (although they're thinking of changing that to any gay that hasn't had a relationship with a male for 5 years). I'm pretty sure it's the same in the U.S.

It's an old ridiculous rule placed for decades that has yet to change because of the backward idiots in power.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think gays are morally obligated to lie on that question if their blood is otherwise okay. The people bleeding out in the hospital aren't going to turn down gay blood, seriously.

6. Hefiel

Eh, you'd be surprised. Look at Jehovah's Witnesses, they're willing to let themselves die (or let a family member die) so long as it means not getting a blood transfusion. They view blood as a sacred thing, so mixing it with the blood of someone else would make your blood "impure".

Suffice to say, they're crazy and I recall a story about 4 years ago here in Canada. A couple were refusing that their son receives blood transfusion to save his life, and I think the couple lost custody of the kid as a result of this. These people are seriously insane.

Either way, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to hear some religious extremist refuse blood from a gay donor even if it meant dying. People can be so attached to their misconceived beliefs sometimes...

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^I was speaking in general, but you are right. At least those people vote themselves out of the gene pool and save us the trouble. :S

8. Mrcake

That is shocking that they still have that on the blood donation thing...

9. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once at dinner my brother was talking about giving blood and I brought that up, no one in my family had a clue that this rule existed. I didn't myself either until there was a blood drive my freshman year and OH HEY NOPE SORRY. I felt outraged.

10. KaraBulut

11. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know a guy who went to give blood and he is so camp they wouldn't let him cause they assumed he had , had gay sex and he wasn't even out the closet to himself yet so he had never even kissed a boy , its messed up , in the UK they lifted the ban in 2011 so the USA shouldn't be far behind Ban on gay men giving blood to be lifted | Politics | guardian.co.uk

12. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

How did they get 1977 as the cutoff year? It's kind of random. Lol, me and my friend were skipping a school assembly, and when we got back, a teacher told me and my friend to come to him, so I bolted out of there and ran into the blood donation place and signed up so that I wouldn't look sketchy. When I got the paper to fill out, I honestly said that I had not, because I'm still a virgin, and continued to give blood. It was totally worth it because they gave me a lot of soda, which I never get to drink because my parents don't ever buy it. Anyways, I don't really understand why they don't think that heterosexual people can get aids or stds.

13. agonizingnose

Yep, this is more or less what I was gonna say.

14. Sapphy

It's the same here in the UK, makes me very sad.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't make any sense.

Now, if you're recently infected, you won't test positive right away but can still transmit the disease, but 35 years is certainly longer than you'd need to wait. Plus, hetero people can get AIDS too.

If they wanted to be logical about this, they should say 'anyone who has had unprotected sex within the past month' or something like that.

16. AAASAS

Meh, immigrants from countries with high rates of HIV aren't allowed to donate either.

I don't really find it that offensive, when HIV is high among gay men, especially the older crowd.

You can't be mad at facts, the fact is it is too much of a hassle to risk having people who are at high risk of HIV to be donating.

Screening or not, I would not want my blood to be coming from a donor who is at high risk of having a disease. Tests fail, people make mistakes, though slim, there is a chance infected blood could come through the system.

Now heterosexuals have HIV and AIDS as well, but a not a significant chunk of the population.

The fact is this is a protective thing to do, it's not being discriminatory towards gay people just people who are in high risk minority groups. If gay people didn't contract so much diseases from unprotected sex in the past than this conversation wouldn't be up. It is no the government trying to belittle us, it is them trying to protect us. They wouldn't give a shit if it was females only with high rates of aids, or Italian immigrants, or any other minority you can think of. They are targeting people with risks of aids, and are not being bigotted.

One can argue all blood gets tested, and that not all gay people have aids..etc, this is all true, but what is also true is people make mistakes, tests can be faulty, and to allow a high risk group get into the blood pool, is irresponsible. Why risk ONE person getting infected just to make a minority feel good about themselves. Stop taking is as discrimination and be glad the government doesn't even wanna RISK getting infected blood into their pool no matter how small that risk is.

Hetero people have aids, but it is not as prevalent. Not all gay people have aids, but the manner they have sex is a high risk act; anal sex, of contracting the disease. Not all gay men are slutty, but when a group is sexually repressed they are going to engage in riskier behaviour just to get some. This isn't true for all, but it is reality. I don't care who argues this, majority of gay men are more likely to have random hook-ups than the majority of heterosexuals. Men like sex, therefore it is less tedious to have sex with a man.

There is no arguing this, girls are sexual beings, but are not nearly as obsessed and involved with sex as men are. These stereotypes are here for a reason.

I'm not saying every gay man is a whore and will fuck anyone, but when a huge percentage of the population was engaging in unprotected high risk anal sex a couple of decades ago it is no WONDER aids became so prevalent.

Even those that are no promiscuous still have a chance of being with someone who has promiscuous sex or has hooked up with promiscuous people. IT is a lot harder to avoid a sexual disease when your minority group is engaging in high risk behavior.

Someone try and tell me straight people have just as much anal sex, or that heterosexual bars or night life is as sexually charged as a gay bar or gay culture. Fuck people have sex at fucking pride festivals. Someone also try to tell me it is as easy for a straight guy to get a girl to give it up than a gay man to another gay man.

It's not bigotted or warped thinking, it's just facts. Gay men for now = high risk, which means there is no point in taking the risk.

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty sure it is.

18. SomeNights

The best thing I can say is: don't take it personal. The rule was made as a rash decision to prevent the spread of desease, don't forget that the rule was made back when we didn't know much about AIDS or HIV.

and honestly, my blood is too good for them anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually didn't know that and I made an appointment and went in to give blood about 2 weeks ago and after I filled out all the info and they took me into the room and asked me all the questions they need to know they finally got to that stupid question. I said yeah I have its been, however long, and the lady pulls out this huge book, flips through pages and gets to this page and just says since you've had sexual relations with a man after 1977 you are not able to donate blood because there is a chance you might have the HIV virus. She was all apologetic and I assured her it was fine and i know it wasn't her fault.(I'm guessing she has had someone yell at her because she was really nervous to tell me lol.) So I understand why, because people don't get tested and donate, but I was kind of upset. I brushed it off and went on with my life...

WELL... 2 days after that I got a phone call and didn't recognize the number answered and it was Heartland blood center. I think she was the manager of the branch.
    Her: " I understand that you tried to give blood a few days ago."
    Me(confused): "Yeah?"
    Her: " I just want to make sure you were clear on what the nurse told you."
    Me: "yeah I won't be able to donate anymore"
    Her: "yes you will be blacklisted and never be able to donate with us."
    Me: "yes thank you, I really needed you to reiterate that!" *hangs up*

...damn I wish i still had a land-line just so I can hang up a phone in anger!! lol

---------- Post added 1st May 2013 at 10:26 PM ----------

I wasn't the fact that they rejected me, it was the fact that they keep throwing it in my face.

20. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

That's outrageous, more straight people get aids than lgbt's.