1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Sleeping

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by That Kid, Apr 30, 2013.

1. That Kid

Well, I've always had trouble going to sleep due to my mind racing at night (I guess that's another thing in its self.) But this past month it's been ridiculous. I can't recall the last time I fell asleep before 2 am even though I'd need to be up at 8.

The anxiety meds seem to be no help. I just can not get my mind to turn off and I find myself unable to lay down in one place at night. I've been getting an average of 4-5 hours a night on weekdays, and sleep for 13 hours on weekends, that can't be healthy.

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping? Especially anyone with ADHD?

2. Sully

Occasionally, but I tend to be okay, there are those nights though, when no matter how hard I try I can't get comfortable and fall asleep!

It's one of the things that leaves me thinking, damn it'd be easy to become addicted to sleeping pills.

I've been meaning to try herbal remedies but admittedly I don't have to many bad nights. My worst thing is that I almost ALWAYS need to get up to go to the toilet, sometimes multiple times.

3. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I discovered a solution for my own sleep problems, but may not apply to everyone since our bodies all react differently.

I had major problems sleeping for the past couple years. Sometimes I wouldnt fall asleep until 4, 5, or even 6. My mind would race and I would get more anxious the later it got.

Then I changed my diet in february and I no longer eat carbs (well very small amount usually <30grams/day) Before I would feel tired ALL DAY then around 10-11 be wide eyed, now its just the opposite. but like I said, everyone's body is different! but I do believe diet has a huge impact on sleep patterns so you could experiment.

off to bed!

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    4-5 hours sounds difficult

My tips... Don't do anything particularly demanding ( like work or games or thinking too much) 1-2 hours before bedtime. Do lazy things like watch TV a bit.

Go to bed with a CD of calming music on low volume .. Not headphones ...

You can also get special relaxation CDs to help take you off to sleep.. Look online

Some people also recommend a warm bath about 1.5 hours before bed ...

If you are still having problems with racing mind .. Get out of bed and watch something fairly dull on Tv or something for 20 minutes until your mind is not racing any more

Try over the counter sleep pills, some are based on natural ingredients

5. Hefiel

I don't have as much trouble sleeping anymore (it's occasional now), but I did have light insomnia in the past. A temporary solution is masturbation. Sounds funny, but it works as it tends to make you feel more calm/relaxed after you come.

Worked pretty well for me.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    oh yes .. and that too!! :slight_smile:

7. Sully

I disagree about watching tv. Apparently light emitted from the screens of tv's/computers stimulates the brain or something and inhibits sleep. So avoid that before bed. Maybe an hour or two. Instead, read, or something like that.

8. WonderEgg

You know that boring thing you don't wanna do during the day? Well, if you do it at night, it should make you tired. Oh and playing repetitive video games helps too because it puts your mind in a relaxed state. Also try just lying in bed fantasizing about things/people/places. You'll fall asleep in no time!

9. manoverboard09

I take melatonin when I can't sleep. works wonders for me.
    Plus it's natural and not habit forming.

And like others said, avoid tv, computer, phone etc at least a while before you're going to sleep. And I guess just relax as much as possible. put your mind to rest as much as possible.

Oh, and sometimes I pay solitaire or bejewled and it puts me to sleep. even though I said stay away from your phone lol.

#9 manoverboard09, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been having difficulty sleeping too, especially with my meds. It's a terrible and annoying side effect. Try talking to your doctor about it and see if he or she can help find something to counter act that.

11. TraceElement

Try and exersize during the day, even if it's a10 minute walk.You said you have ADHD... do you take any meds for it? If you do, try not to take it too late in the day because that could keep you up. You may want to try yoga, pilates or meditation. They might be able to help you clear your mind. Like bingostring said, try playing a relaxation cd. There are also small "radeos" that play soothing sounds like waterfalls, white noise and ocean.

12. photoguy93

I really can't go to sleep without my "white noise" app. I have an iPhone, but I'm sure it's on other platforms. I have bad anxiety, too, but I feel like a baby - it just lulls me to sleep.

Also, watch your caffeine intake. I really stopped doing anything with caffeine, and it does help.

Are you in therapy? That might really help you figure out how to calm down.

13. JPC

JPC Guest

I have so much trouble sleeping, but I don't have ADHD though. I only manage to get to sleep five nights per week now. I can get anywhere between 2-4 per night if I try to sleep every night of the week, whereas if I keep myself awake two nights of the week I can get 7 hours of sleep on the other five.
    I wouldn't advise anyone to go down that route though because for those two days a week you feel like hell.

14. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, watching tv (especially if it's something I want to watch) in bed is sure to send me to sleep.

15. Convoy

I throw on some trance, techno, something like that beats and it's a sure way to pass me out. Annoys the heck out of those around me, I just relax and pass out (Good memories perhaps? :icon_wink).

Any cool ambient kind of beat does that to me and it really helps when I can't sleep at all. I had some bad insomnia when I was younger, almost never more than 4hr or sleep or less for over a year; that kind of messed me up.

Diet and exercise helps too; it's just a conglomerate of things.

Also, it should go without saying, but stay away from illicit substances; they can make things worse for sure (You don't know what's really in em or what they'll do).

16. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never had any illicit substance that has helped me sleep, always the exact opposite.

17. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Like other people have said, try to avoid lit screens for a while before going to sleep. I've also found drinking a cup of hot chamomile tea to be very relaxing and sleep-inducing. If you get desperate, though, melatonin doesn't hurt.
    Also, even if you're not sleepy, try to just lay there with your eyes closed anyway. If you don't let yourself keep getting up, you'll actually end up going to sleep more quickly, even if it seems like forever while you're just lying there.