1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping myself from starting to Smoke again

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, May 11, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I am trying to prevent myself from smoking again, I am starting to feel depressed again and while I am going to the doctors I cant get seen until the end of the month.

I don't want to give in, but its hard, does anyone have any tips for me?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some people I know gave up by reading a book by Alan Carr (no not the comedian :slight_smile:)
    They reckoned it worked for them (you might get it on e-bay or Amazon)

My Uncle is using those Electric Cigarettes & he says it works for him.

Paul McKenna's Hypnotism Cd's work for some people, I think it all depends on the person, some things work for some & some for others :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People often find that doing a combination of things helps. Eating licorice twirls will help to replace the biorhythm of putting the cigarette in your mouth, and doing something else as a stress reliever will help with the cravings. The actual nicotine craving generally only lasts maybe 30 seconds, so if you can hold out, breathe deeply and slowly, that usually helps. Starting a meditation practice or other stress-relieving approach can also help.

I'd use the electronic cigs as a last resort, because if you've already quit smoking, you've broken the nicotine addiction, and the electronic cigs have nicotine, so they will actually keep you addicted to nicotine. They're better than cigs, but it's just transferring the addiction.

4. Beware Of You

I havent smoked in Months, but when I am depressed I smoke

5. June Cleaver

Not totally true about electric cigs. You can get them with NO nicotine in them if you so choose. So you can get no nicotine electronic cigaretts to meet the need or they do make herbal cigaretts that most head shops cary called Extacy which have no tobacco or nicotine in them. June

6. santaberry

I drink lots of water. When I'm at work we don't get breaks or anything so those nicotine monkeys get to screeching quite loudly. In order to push through it I just constantly drink water. It's healthy. It's somewhat similar to the smoking pattern in terms of the repeatedly putting something on your lips. Or maybe even a water bottle.

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandfather used peppermints to keep from smoking. For awhile his tongue was raw from non-stop eating peppermints, but it worked.

8. Convoy

I ran and biked and lifted stuff until I would nearly collapse from exhaustion. Just jump on a bike and go for 25mi, regardless of weather. It worked, but it was difficult but at least the exhaustion would keep my mind preoccupied.

I mean sure there are limits to training where you really do start to harm yourself and that would be bad but realistically It would take a long time until I hit that peak considering my current shape.

*Cough* It's easier than heroin *Cough*Cough*.

9. That Kid

What helped me quit smoking was keeping my hands and mouth busy (chewing gum, Gameboy, eating, trumpet etc.)

I also had trouble quitting smoking when I was dealing with depression and definitely found it really hard to resist when I wasn't dealing with it properly. So it's good to hear you're getting help!