1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danger from precum before putting on condoms

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jackinthebox, May 11, 2013.

1. jackinthebox

So before putting on condoms,

1) The two of us slept naked with bodies and penises rubbing each other, both being a little wet..

2) He was jerking off and fingering me with the same hands..

3) I was having difficulty putting the condom on him before giving him ORAL since his penis was all wet so some of his precum could easily be on the outer side of the condom and therefore getting in contact with not just my fingers but also my mouth later..

Should I be concerned? :eek:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Risk of HIV transmission from precum exists, but is pretty low, and it sounds like the amount of precum you would have been exposed to would also be pretty low.

You're smart to think about things like this, and it's always a balance between being paranoid and being smart and safe. In this particular case, I wouldn't worry too much.

However, in addition to using condoms, it's always prudent to have an honest discussion about sexual history, and just evaluate where you're meeting the person and make some guesses from that. If you're in a bathhouse, or meeting someone off of Craigslist, the likelihood they are really promiscuous is very high, and, if it were me, that would be a risk I wouldn't want to take. But just because you met someone and they seem nice and non-promiscuous doesn't mean they aren't... or even that they'll be willing to lie about it.

So you have to both take precautions (as you are doing) and use your common sense and judgment about whether this is a risk you are comfortable with.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whats Craigslist?

4. Lexus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A site in the USA where ppl sell things and also find hookups

5. jackinthebox

I am just looking for fun and so are they.. so basically, you can call both of us "promiscuous" and it's that way most of the times.. but if we're using condoms, it should be fine right?

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't putting a judgment on promiscuous, just stating it.

If you're using condoms, the risk of getting HIV is substantially reduced. But the risk isn't zero. Condoms can break, people can be sloppy, cum can get in your eye. Which is why I recommend a combination of using condoms AND discussing sexual history. For me, I would avoid having sex with anyone that's been very promiscuous, but my risk tolerance for that sort of thing is pretty low, having seen a lot of people die of AIDS, and heard of the complications of people that are more recently infected and living with it now.

Also, you can still (if you're doing oral without a condom) get various other STIs (herpes, chlamydia, syphillis, gonorrhea, etc.)

Again, I don't want you to take this as a judgment. Each person has to determine their own level of risk tolerance. You're being smart by always using condoms, but the fact that you asked the question shows that you still have concerns, so I'm just trying to honestly answer your questions.

7. KaraBulut

Well, not really.

Wearing a seat belt doesn't guarantee that you won't get into a car accident.

With all of these things, you have to be realistic about your risks. It's not reasonable to suggest that someone not drive. Instead what we say is to wear a seat belt, take driver's ed, get your vision checked periodically, don't drive and drive, etc- do things that reduce risk and lessen possibility of injury.

Similarly, condoms aren't the only risk mitigation for STDs. Partner selection and reduction of the number of different sex partners is also another way to lower your risk.

Chances are if you are doing hook-ups and one night stands, the person that you're doing it with is probably doing the same thing. As an old commercial used to point out, if you're having sex with someone, you're also having sex with all the people they've had sex with. This might be an acceptable risk to you but it's not accurate to say that you're not increasing your risk.

8. jackinthebox

But if there's no anal or oral, is it fine? If the precum dripped above the ass?

9. KaraBulut

What you're doing here is looking for a list of "risk vs no risk". What we're trying to tell you is that there's always risk and you have to decide how much risk is acceptable to you.

If you're repeatedly hooking up with strangers whose sexual history isn't known, that's a big risk. If you're coming into contact with a stranger's body fluids, that's more risk. If you're doing oral, that's even more risk. If you're doing anal, that's much more risk. If you're using condoms, that's less risk. The risk just increases/decreases with each of these things.

As long as you're starting with "I'm hooking up with strangers", there's no assurance that we can give you that you won't get an STD because the odds are against you. If this is the risk that you want to take, then when you get tested for STDs, you're never going to be sure of the result.

10. FemCasanova

Just adding, checking yourself for STDs after every time you`ve had sex with someone whose sexual history you don`t know, is a very good idea. Sure, it might sound like a lot of work, but STDs can make you and any guy you have sex with afterwards seriously ill, possibly sterile, not to mention HIV. If you regularly have sex with new people and don`t also regularly check for STDs, then you are running the risk of spreading STDs to new people, which is kind of a crappy thing to do. Sex is awesome, but it can have consequences, so we need to take the responsibility with the pleasure. Surely there are local health centers or something similar where you can get yourself checked out without too much hassle? And remember that a condom can always break! There`s no 100% guarantee. Don`t take this as me judging a lifestyle, I had my period where I jumped a bit from person to person, but I also did check myself out regularly. I followed the "Never have unprotected sex, do all the tests at least once a year, and the HIV test twice before having sex with a new partner", and although there`s still risk for me, at least then the risk of me affecting another person with an STD goes down a lot.

Besides, it`s not fun realizing you did it without a condom, and having to spend 6 months before knowing for sure that you aren`t carrying a life threatening illness...
    :slight_smile:

#10 FemCasanova, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only problem with the above is the latency period on STI tests. Some STIs, such as syphillis and gonorrhea, will show up very quickly. Others, like HIV, will take 30 to 90 days to show up with the commonly used tests. (There are more sensitive tests that show results at about 14 days, but they're not commonly used because they're extremely expensive... in the hundreds of dollars per test.)

Additionally, when someone is infected with HIV, the time period at which they are at the greatest risk for infecting others is immediately after infection, when the virus is replicating rapidly and antibodies have not yet been produced. This is also before an HIV test will show a positive result So the person that is most likely to have HIV is the one who regularly hooks up, because each hook-up is a potential source of infection, and even if someone is tested monthly, the test result is only as good as exposures the person had a month before the test.

In short, you can't have it all. If you're going to be promiscuous, even if you are playing safe, you're going to be constantly exposing yourself to people who likely have one or more STIs, and may not even know it. And if you keep doing that, the risk of getting one or more STIs goes up, simply due to the law of averages.

12. FemCasanova

Yeah, I should have clarified that. When I wrote 6 months, it was because I tested once after 3 months, then had to wait for another 3 months for a second test, because that was when I was told it would be a sure answer. And of course I didn`t sleep with anyone else in the meantime. Which means that to be able to have a clear conscience, one sexual activity with someone who didn`t have a clean bill of health cost me 6 months of celibacy, as well as 6 months of nerves. It was dreadful, and I don`t personally understand how people can jump from ONS to ONS without knowing for sure whether or not they`re endangering their lives.

13. jackinthebox

^^ 6 months or 3 months for an HIV infection to show??

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Testing positive for the virus will show in 30 to 90 days in most cases. The longer you go post-exposure, the more accurate the results, so (these aren't accurate numbers, but you get the idea)

At 30 days after exposure/infection, 80 to 90% of infected people will show positive
    at 60 days, closer to 90%
    at 90 days, closer to 95%

But there are cases on record where the infection did not show as positive for longer periods of up to a year. All of these are based on using the commonly used test for the antibodies to the virus; the more sensitive (and way more expensive) tests for the virus itself will show results sooner.

There are no absolutes in terms of protection from HIV, which is why we are such strong advocates of condom use 100% of the time, and other safer sex practices.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind, there are also multiple reasons for false results (either negative or positive) as well. Even though quality control on any medical device is extremely stringent, one of the most common is a defective test device. Having repeat tests will significantly reduce the likelyhood of a false negative not being detected by adjusting multiple factors. Especially if you have the repeat test done by a different test center. Other possible causes are your body hasn't produced enough to react with the test (more time will cause your body to produce more, see Chip's post), or an improper sample was collected (not enough, or too much was taken). Training, and variances in training between test staff can make a difference on the last one. Also, keep in mind you need to follow the test center's instructions, as some actions may locally deplete/dilute/neutralize what the center is testing for (creating a false negative), or can show up on the results as what they are testing for (false positive).

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we're talking the HIV antibody instant (15 minute) tests, they're pretty foolproof; a swab of saliva or a drop of blood applied to the test stick, and applying a few drops of the reagent solution, and you have your result. It's pretty hard to screw up, so as far as test administration, there aren't many variables.

However, the instant test is never considered definitive; a positive result is always followed up with one or more additional tests of a different type to confirm. My understanding is that a negative on an antibody test less than 90 days from exposure should not be considered definitive, as false negatives are common due to the variance in time it takes for antibodies to develop. However, a negative result at 90 days is pretty definitive. The tests are of similar accuracy for positives, however, every agency I know of that tests using the instant test *always* retests any positive test using a more sensitive test to confirm the result.

I'm less familiar with the tests for other STIs. I do know that there are instant test sticks for most common STIs (syphillis, gonorrhea, hep-b, hep-c) but for some reason they don't seem to be commonly used in the US.

17. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK Chip. I was extrapolating my knowledge of other reactive tests. At a recent training I went to, we had a few defective test devices for detecting organophosphates, and occasionally at work there were people who reported on being on meds that should have shown on a drug test, but they didn't.

18. FemCasanova

I didn`t know that, Chip, thanks for telling me. Getting a bit irritated now because that means that what they say in the health station here in Oslo is inaccurate. Wish they`d tell me that I`d be a lot closer to 100 % sure after 9 months than 6, because then I would have tested after 9 months too. I completely agree on the 100 % condom use. Our lives are too precious to risk just for a one night stand, not to mention all the other lives we risk by not practicing safe sex.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind, the real number at 90 days is probably greater than 95, maybe closer to 97-99%. I was putting those numbers up as approximations of the differences in time periods. But the important consideration is that there are people who test negative, sometimes multiple times over months, haven't had any sexual or other exposure to HIV, and then test positve a year later.

These cases are pretty rare, and I don't know how airtight the histories are; it's possible the person lied about his/her exposure, lied about when they were last tested, or something else. But they do happen once in a while.

I suspect that what you were told is actually pretty close to on-the-mark, except for the outliers. If you want to feel more confident, you could ask for the PCR test, which is extremely sensitive (it's pretty accurate even after 2 weeks), and, as far as I know, is considered the gold standard for accuracy, and is looking for virus, not for antibodies to it.