1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of love handles?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DanDan, May 11, 2013.

1. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everybody! :smilewave
    So, I've managed to lose alot of weight and I'm ever so close to achieving my goal (at this point I'm 134 pounds), but I just can't get rid of my "lovehandles". Is there any workout/diet to help me get rid of them? But there's just one problem. I appearently lost weight so fast, that I'm underweight at this point and in danger of my body "backfiring" or something along those lines. Can anyone help me? I don't know what to do. I still have lovehandles, a little belly fat, and a little chest fat left.

#1 DanDan, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. Foxface

well a general decrease in body fat will help that a lot. A combo of cardio and weights will go a long way. Look at your diet. If you are consuming sugars such as high fructose and the like, they will go straight to your stomach and sides.

Foxface

3. saraph

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to evaluate what kind of exercise regiment you currently have. Just as Foxface said, cardio heavy workouts are going to be great and diet modification is a must.
    I recommend doing situps, crunches, and a lot of swimming. The situps will build your abdominal muscles and swimming will help to tone your entire body as well as strengthen your core. Avoid major weight lifting as well.
    As far as diet is concerned, avoid anything with high-fructose corn syrup, fast food, sodas, potato chips (unless they're the Sun Harvest or baked), and ensure you are eating equal amounts of calcium and iron rich foods. Vitamin C and D will help you out significantly as well. You should also snack throughout the day (like carrots and raw broccoli) every hour, have smaller meal sizes, and eat/snack at the same time every day. This will help regulate your metabolism which will help to burn the remaining body fat.
    Btw, grats on your weight loss!!! =D

4. KaraBulut

You don't mention how tall that you are or your age, so it's hard to determine whether 134 pounds fits on the growth chart.

Where a lot of guys go wrong is that they lose the ability to see their whole body and how all the pieces fit together. By obsessing on things like "love handles" they can often lose a significant amount of muscle trying to get rid of what they see as "belly fat".

As counter intuitive as it may seem, the best way to hide love handles and belly fat is to grow the muscles around it. Broad shoulders and a defined chest will make the waist look much smaller by giving the upper body a V-shape.

For example- below is a picture of actor Jesse Metcalfe. Did you notice that he has love handles? Probably not because the shoulders and chest dimensions are proportionately larger and make his waist look much smaller than it is.
    [​IMG]

Now contrast this with a picture of Michael Cera- someone who is not fat at all. Because of his boyish upper body, his waist looks much thicker than it is:
    [​IMG]

Neither actor is "fat" but neither actor has "six pack abs" either. The difference is that one actor is working on developing more muscle in his upper body to conceal his wider hips/waist.

The problem with focusing on one body part and obsessing over normal body fat is that you lose the ability to see your body as it is. So, unless you are very young or very short, at 134 pounds, the problem is probably not that you need to lose weight. The issue may be that you need to work more on developing muscles in your upper body while eating a more healthy, balanced diet.

5. Mrcake

Try doing side planks and love handle exercises to build lean muscle in that area. It is a tough are to get muscles in!